Towing with a jeep

I have a 2019 4 door rubicon. Anyone else tow with something similar? Trying to see what size boat it will tow. I know the numbers but I would rather have first hand experience. I’m looking to get 19-20’ skeeter or something similar. Will I have problems?

2. Member
    The original owner of my boat towed with a 4door Jeep Wrangler. Had no issues at all. My boat weighs about 3500-3700lbs
    1995 Ranger 481v
    1995 Johnson Fast Strike 175hp

3. Member
    You’re going to get a flurry of answers anywhere from I won’t tow a canoe with anything less than a 1 ton diesel, down to guys who tow 22 foot rigs with a Honda Civic. I’m an auto tech and I wouldn’t give you an absolute answer. I feel like it’s fine to tow up to about 75% of the vehicle limit comfortably. I have nothing to back that up other than I've been around cars for 30 years. I’ve seen a lot of things. But I have no facts, that’s just my opinion and it’s not worth more than anyone else’s. It’s rated for 3500 lbs. It’s got a full frame which is nice, the main draw back is going to be vehicle weight and engine/trans power. So a Skeeter fxr20 is almost 2200 lbs, roughly 1500lb trailer, fuel and gear say 600 lbs, you now towing 4300 lbs conservatively. If you went to a 19 maybe it gets closer but imo I wouldn’t feel good without about a 5000lb capacity tow vehicle. Again please note this is opinion, take it for what it’s worth.

4. Member
    Thanks for the info. I have a place at the lake so probably won’t have to trailer it too often.

5. Member
    your V6 will tow it fine. I've towed a 18'6 and 19'6 single axle 1000 mile trips many times in the pentastar v6. But you need to stay within your towing weight limit, ensure your trailer has brakes.

The element that is in question is towing with a short wheel base- I don't know the exact model jeep you have. short infrequent tows I would not think a problem
    2024 Phoenix 818
    2024 merc 175 pro xs 3B411947

6. Member
    The problem isn’t with towing it.! The problem is with stopping it in a panic.! You must be extra cautious if you do it.! The boat and trailer weigh almost as much as the jeep. Mass in motion tends to stay in motion.
    Last edited by clayshooter; 12-25-2022 at 08:52 AM. Reason: Spelling correction

Quote Originally Posted by clayshooter View Post
    The problem isn’t with towing it.! The problem is with stopping it in a panic.! You must me extra cautious if you do it.! The boat and trailer weigh almost as much as the keep. Mass in motion tends to stay in motion.
    Ditto. I had a 17' Champion, single axle, no brakes that I towed with a CJ7 back in the day. Lived in south FL and fished the Everglades and the Big O a lot. Several times during heavy braking, the boat pushed me much further that I'd have liked. The V8 had plenty of power to pull but with no weight and a very short wheel base, it was an adventure at times.
    2018 Skeeter MX1825 w/175 Yamaha 4-Stroke
    80# MK Ultrex w/ I-Pilot
    HB Helix 10 SI Mega, HB Helix 9 SI, Helix 9, Garmin 106SV
    USAF Ret

Comparing the Rubicon with my 2015 JCG Summit - length and wheel base are close but the JGC is wider and much heavier and has a significantly higher towing capacity (6,200 vs 3,500.) I have been towing 3,200 to 3,500 lb fueled and rigged 19 foot boats (Skeeter and Lund) single axle with surge brakes since new with the V6. No problem getting started with the V6 and very comfortable at highway speeds and traffic (usually about 65 but not more than 70ish.) Stopping is OK but I have never been impressed, even without the boat in tow (horn work, though). Rigged and ready to fish with a single axle trailer your 19 footer will at least approach your weight limits. You will know it's back there and based upon my experience I would guess the Rubicon will not feel as firm at highway speeds but capable. I think as other have mentioned the issue will be exceeding the weight limits in which case no one can or should say it will be ok. Of course there will never be a problem until there is.
    Ray
    SemperFi
    2021 Lund 1875 Impact
    2021 Merc 150 4 Stroke

9. Member
    i towed with my wifes 2021 high altitude jeep for a few months. First had a bullet sdc then a 2023 basscat eyra. I was only towing it maybe 1 mile each way but there were no issues with stopping or taking off. it would struggle in the hills, i bet, but then few times i had to, it worked fine. Now, i wouldnt tow it like an hour or 2 hours. Just the short distance the fan motor kicked on. Her jeep also has a lift, 37 x12.5R17 tires. I think towing capacity is 3500 lbs which trailer and boat it was right at that limits.

12.jpg

10. Member
    i forgot to add one thing. I did have to change out the 4 pin trailer harness for the 7pin harness. The reason was due to 7 pin allows the hydraulic over electric trailer brakes to have power to the actuator. Without it, i would put in reverse and the trailer brakes would lock up. then i had to use that actuator key to keep the trailer brakes from coming on. Then decided to upgrade the wiring to 7 pin and its been perfect. this allows you to have that additional stopping power from the boat and the jeep rather than relying on the jeep only.

11. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by brett87tex View Post
    i forgot to add one thing. I did have to change out the 4 pin trailer harness for the 7pin harness. The reason was due to 7 pin allows the hydraulic over electric trailer brakes to have power to the actuator. Without it, i would put in reverse and the trailer brakes would lock up. then i had to use that actuator key to keep the trailer brakes from coming on. Then decided to upgrade the wiring to 7 pin and its been perfect. this allows you to have that additional stopping power from the boat and the jeep rather than relying on the jeep only.
    Boat trailers are surge brakes....they work with no power to them. The only power required is for the lockout solenoid for backing up.
    Fish have fins, they swim

12. Member
    I tow a 2021 Ranger RT198P with tandem-axle trailer and brakes at all 4 wheels with a 2018 Jeep GC V-6. ZERO POINT ZERO issues stopping in fact I suspect I stop in a shorter distance in hard braking when the trailer brakes kick in compared to hard braking without towing the boat. I have had to stop quickly multiple times and it is the best setup I have owned. I get 17 mpg towing which is strong. No " tail wagging the dog" feeling. Smooth ride, Jeep fits in my regular garage with another car, love it will keep it as long as I can.

John Walker - Matthews NC

2021 Ranger RT198P - Mercury 150 4S - Enertia Eco
    VesselView Link - MotorGuide Tour Pro - Lowrance Carbons

13. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by PJ-Rohlf View Post
    Boat trailers are surge brakes....they work with no power to them. The only power required is for the lockout solenoid for backing up.
    That’s pretty much what I said.

14. fish8503@yahoo.com GOTTA BIG SACK's Avatar
    I’ve got a Skeeter ZX150 I’ll be towing with my Jeep. So far only pulled it home from the dealer. It wasn’t bad but I wouldn’t want to pull it 4 hours one way either. Just gotta be careful for stopping.
    2021 Skeeter ZX150
    2020 Sea Doo GTI se 170

15. Member
    When you are pulling your rig out of the water put your Jeep in Manual Low 1, it will be easier on your transmission it brings in another gear holding component.