Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Looking for help

Hoping maybe someone can help me out here. I posted on general forums and they recommend I reach out to local people. I have loved fishing all my life but have not had time for it. My son leaves for college after this year so I am selling the wakeboard boat to hopefully get a bass boat. I currently have a place on Smith Lake but I have no idea what boat would suite me. My budget is up to 70k but would like to find something used if I can get everything I want. Would rather spend around 40-50. I plan on using electronics so I want that top of the line. What places do you recommend I look at? I have only dealt with wakeboard boat dealers so I have no idea where to start or what equipment I need or should want. Any ideas or I do I would greatly appreciate. Thanks

2. Member
    go down to GAF at Dodge city, I think he has a couple of really nice used boats down there.

3. Blazer Boats Moderator Rebel1's Avatar
    Bucks Island, Southside, AL.

4. Member
    If it were me I would first determine what you want on the rig as far as Electronics , TM , Etc.. next I would determine what brand of boat you are looking at or at least top 3. Then go on BBC Boats for sale and FB Marketplace and get an idea of what year boats are in your price range. I would extend my search into northern states due to the fact that those boats are generally only ran 7 months a year. For 40-50K you should be able to get an incredible boat. As far as Smith lake I think you would be able to get away with anything 18ft or better. If you are going to fish tournaments I would bump up to a minimum 19 ft w/200 hp.

5. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Crankin View Post
    If it were me I would first determine what you want on the rig as far as Electronics , TM , Etc.. next I would determine what brand of boat you are looking at or at least top 3. Then go on BBC Boats for sale and FB Marketplace and get an idea of what year boats are in your price range. I would extend my search into northern states due to the fact that those boats are generally only ran 7 months a year. For 40-50K you should be able to get an incredible boat. As far as Smith lake I think you would be able to get away with anything 18ft or better. If you are going to fish tournaments I would bump up to a minimum 19 ft w/200 hp.

^ This is good advice.
    2020 Triton 18 TRX
    Tournament Fishing Package
    2020 Mercury 200 Pro XS V8 Serial # 2B588923
    Minn Kota Ultrex 80# I Pilot Link
    Hi Jacker EZ 6" Jack Plate
    Bravo 1 FS 24 Pitch Prop
    Humminbird Helix 7 SI GPS CHIRP G2 Bow
    Humminbird Helix 7 CHIRP MEGA GPS DI G3 Console
    Trick Step Boarding Steps
    RMP Engine Support

6. Member
    Thanks, do you recommend any electronics I should look into?

7. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Sidetracked3 View Post
    Bass boat electronics are like computers, buy the latest and greatest available at the time, as within 12 months they have been replaced with better and faster.
    Figure out what you will be happy with, down, side, forward facing, etc. and stick with one of the big 3 bands, Humminbird, Lowrance, or Garmin.

8. Member
    In Addition to the good advise by printman one thing that you might do is go over to bass pro and navigate your way through the top three units and determine which operating system you feel is easiest for you. Similar to a smart phone many technical people love androids while other less technical love the simplicity of the I-phone. Same deal with electronics.

9. Member
    I actually went to Bass Pro today. Think I like the Garmin the best.

10. Member
    I would be sure I got a trolling motor with spot lock. I have an Ultrex. Is Smith the primary lake you will be fishing? If you aren't going to be spending a lot of time on the TN River, I would think an 18 or 19 ft. boat would do. Smith just doesn't get that rough except for the wake boats and now there is going to be one less. I don't think you will go wrong with Garmin electronics. Are you familiar with Leon, business right at the turn to Smith Lake Park? He is an excellent boat mechanic and might be able to help you with a used boat. : (256) 734-3223

11. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by JYarb View Post
    I would be sure I got a trolling motor with spot lock. I have an Ultrex. Is Smith the primary lake you will be fishing? If you aren't going to be spending a lot of time on the TN River, I would think an 18 or 19 ft. boat would do. Smith just doesn't get that rough except for the wake boats and now there is going to be one less. I don't think you will go wrong with Garmin electronics. Are you familiar with Leon, business right at the turn to Smith Lake Park? He is an excellent boat mechanic and might be able to help you with a used boat. : (256) 734-3223
    thanks, smith will be the lake I’m on the most. Yeah I have always tried to be nice around fishermen if possible. But most do not care. I’m sure I will be on the other end of that soon yelling at them too. I will reach out to him though. I still have to sell my boat u less I find a new o e at a dealer and do a trade in.

12. Member
    All the major brand electronics make good stuff imo. Just get the one that is easier for you to operate. I like garmins menus and functions, they are simple to me. Boat wise for that $ you should be able to get a nice boat. You guys set me straight if if I mess this up. I would say late model nitros are nice boats, not the fastest but nice features and ride ok. Tritons are fast but take skill to drive at speed. Ride is a lil rougher. Rangers ride cant be beat period. But rangers arent fast. They will run 70. But modern other brands with run much faster. Phenix and bass cats I dont have much time in but they seem to ride nice and are fast. Motors I would say for your budget stick with a 4 stroke mercury or yamaha. I would say any of those brands fish great once you are parked and fishing. Make sure you get a boat you can get serviced in your area. I would also say I bought my first bass boat(2 yrs ago now) thinking I would only fish Mitchell, Lay and Jordan. Me and my son have been all over the state now and planning things all over the eastern U.S. now as my son may fish in college. So I would say dont think just smith. There is great fishing all around you! Also for that budget I wouldnt go less than 20’ just b/c sounds like you will be with your son. I only posted b/c sounds like you are where I was a couple yrs ago but your budget is a little more. I would not trade the time i have spent on my bass boats for millions of dollars. It has been a blast fishing with my sons. And if you need to learn how to fish this site has some GREAT men on it that will help too. Ome from your he lake went WAY our of his way to ahow my son some things that I will never forget. Good luck on your hunt and this was just my .02 worth. Most folks on here have way more experience than me to give advice off of. But thought I’d hit on some points you may not think about.

13. Member
    Thanks for the Info. I’m also looking at Skeeters. Talked with an older gentleman at bass pro that had a lot of good info. Told me to take a ride in a skeeter. Also made me like Garmin over the others. Everyone was closed the other day so hope to go check out some next week. Just wished I could ride on a few different ones before I buy

14. Member
    Thanks for the Info. I’m also looking at Skeeters. Talked with an older gentleman at bass pro that had a lot of good info. Told me to take a ride in a skeeter. Also made me like Garmin over the others. Everyone was closed the other day so hope to go check out some next week. Just wished I could ride on a few different ones before I buy. Also for now I do not see me needing to go faster than 70. I’m a ways away from tournaments. I’m just looking to enjoy some fishing. So my top boats currently are Skeeter, Ranger, Nitro, trident. Anything I should look for or make sure to get when looking. I know I need spot lock but what else can you not live without?

15. Member
    Especially for Smith some version of live scope could be very helpful. But most of that kind of stuff is personal preference. And you will most likely get some stuff and decide later on you want something else. All just part of learning it seems.

16. Member
    Sent you a PM ....

17. Member
    Thanks for the Info. I’m also looking at Skeeters. Talked with an older gentleman at bass pro that had a lot of good info. Told me to take a ride in a skeeter. Also made me like Garmin over the others. Everyone was closed the other day so hope to go check out some next week. Just wished I could ride on a few different ones before I buy. Also for now I do not see me needing to go faster than 70. I’m a ways away from tournaments. I’m just looking to enjoy some fishing. So my top boats currently are Skeeter, Ranger, Nitro, trident. Anything I should look for or make sure to get when looking. I know I need spot lock but what else can you not live without?
    For what it is worth. My three boats to look at would be Ranger, Skeeter, Basscat. If you can find a Phoenix certainly throw them in the mix. I would make sure you have an Ultrex and electronics with good mapping. I disagree on the 4 stroke. I think if you go two stroke you will get a better bang for your buck. Also avoid Evinrude engines only because of service limitations.

18. Member
    Well my next problem is everyone seems to think their boat is the best. Lol

Check out Boat Wrx in Tuscaloosa formerly L@L Marine they sell Caymas and Skeeter. See Micah or Tony they will hook you up!
    If you think you have it bad...Look Around and BE THANKFUL because Someone Always Has it Worse!!

BoatWrx Alabama Team Member - Mercury Pro Team
    2023 Caymas CX21- Mercury 250 ProXS 4 Stroke - Garmin Force & Garmin electronics
    2011- Ford 6.7 Powerstroke Tow Toy

20. Member
    Fishing strictly Smith Lake, I would get a Ranger 519 and load it with electronics. The reason for a 19'' boat on smith is you will be fishing around a lot of docks, at that is what I did when I fished up there all the time. A shorter boat is much more maneuverable around the docks. It doesn't get rough enough for a bigger boat, there's no big water areas where the wind could cause issues. The only thing you will have to deal with is the recreational traffic which you are currently aware of where those wake boats can sneak up on you. No need for shallow anchors on that pond.
    If you think you are going to take it elsewhere, such as TN river, then I would say get a Ranger 520, that is much bigger water and a longer boat is a safety feature.
    Joey Aderhold

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast