Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Float n Fly Options

Winter means the occasional float n fly for crappie and bass, particularly with my son! I was disappointed to find out today that Cumberland Lures, who used to make a killer fly option, seem to have stopped producing it :( It's gone from TW as well as their page. So I'm in the market for some new (float n) flies, what are everybody's favorites? I'm particularly interested in the 1/8+oz options, because I'm fishing deep with a decent amount of (wind-created) current.

SPRO still sells their SPRO Phat Fly, which I like and have. Looking for additional flies to consider, tho. Thanks!

2. Member
    Look up Delta Bass Bugs. Charges an arm and a leg. They're easy to tie if you know anyone who ties flies. Fly shops sell them but I doubt you'll find anything over a 16th of an ounce.

I tie flies and just wondering what you mean by float flies. I see that spro is like a jig so I’m guessing you me flies you fish under a float.

Float and Fly is a technique. The flies need to sink and there is a float above them.

USN Retired
    2020 Basscat Caracal
    2020 Mercury 225 ProXS 4s

5. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Solitario Lupo View Post
    I tie flies and just wondering what you mean by float flies. I see that spro is like a jig so I’m guessing you me flies you fish under a float.
    Yes Float n Fly flies are small hair jigs, typically in 1/16 or 1/8. Fished on a slip bobber like a crappie jig, but good float n flies work for suspended bass, as well. Not the most glorious way of catching bass, but in winter, with kids, it’s an option.

The Cumberland flies used to look like this. 2CE649BC-A707-4A56-8D74-92ADABE137AB.jpeg

6. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Mike Thompson View Post
    Look up Delta Bass Bugs. Charges an arm and a leg. They're easy to tie if you know anyone who ties flies. Fly shops sell them but I doubt you'll find anything over a 16th of an ounce.
    Thanks, checking out their page now!

7. Member
    Another guy to look to would be Ryan Williams of North Valley fly-fishing. I use his leader system and fish this technique with a flyrod. He actually won a WWBT team event at Shasta a couple years ago. He flyfished and his partner fished conventional.

8. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Drakestar View Post
    Not the most glorious way of catching bass, but in winter, with kids, it’s an option.
    What does glorious have to do with it? Sometimes it's the only way to catch them here on Cumberland & Dalle Hollow. When you catching up 6 lb smallmouth it's pretty danged glorious if you ask me. Them 12 to 15lb. striper get to be pretty fun too.

I think Dale Hollow Tackle bought Punisher Lures and they still sell craft hair jigs.

https://punisherlures.com/collection...oat-n-fly-jigs
    "If It Ain't Broke, You're Not Trying"- Red Green

10. Banned
    Float and fly used to be a big thing around her for smallmouth in the winter. I didn't think people did it that much anymore? For crappie it's still a big deal.

Quote Originally Posted by Drakestar View Post
    Yes Float n Fly flies are small hair jigs, typically in 1/16 or 1/8. Fished on a slip bobber like a crappie jig, but good float n flies work for suspended bass, as well. Not the most glorious way of catching bass, but in winter, with kids, it’s an option.

The Cumberland flies used to look like this. 2CE649BC-A707-4A56-8D74-92ADABE137AB.jpeg
    Not very hard to tie. Looks like hair and some flash. I think squirrels tail would make a better jig.

12. Member
    Crappie jigs

13. Member
    You didn't give son's skill level but check into "tightlining". Much easier and put some big smallmouth in the boat with it all winter.

Nice ^^^^

16. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by basscat21 View Post
    Great looking jig sir!
    2022 Vexus VX20/Mercury 250 Pro XS | 2021 Vexus AVX 1980/Mercury 150 Pro XS | "Overkill is underrated!" - "Då Som Nu För Alltid"

Quote Originally Posted by City17Banner View Post
    Great looking jig sir!
    Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by Quillback View Post
    Nice ^^^^

19. Member
    What weights do you typically tie up your jigs to sir?
    2022 Vexus VX20/Mercury 250 Pro XS | 2021 Vexus AVX 1980/Mercury 150 Pro XS | "Overkill is underrated!" - "Då Som Nu För Alltid"

Quote Originally Posted by City17Banner View Post
    What weights do you typically tie up your jigs to sir?
    3/32 & 1/8. Marabou.....1/8 and 1/4 with deer hair, I prefer the bullet head for deer Tails.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast