Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
  1. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by basscat21 View Post
    3/32 & 1/8. Marabou.....1/8 and 1/4 with deer hair, I prefer the bullet head for deer Tails.
    Thank you for the information, sir! My criteria for selecting new JDM rods to acquire has always started with understanding the specific lure or lure category that is intended to be used and any specific sensitivity and casting distance requirements involved to best utilize the given lure style. I'm trying to figure out what weights are appropriate for hair jig fishing with my current finesse JDM casting rods this upcoming fishing season. I might have to look into acquiring a couple of more powerful Aji (Japanese Horse Mackerel) casting rods or really light Seabass casting rods to get something in the 7'6" to 8'4" range to help with casting distance for these finesse lures.

Please have a great day!
    2022 Vexus VX20/Mercury 250 Pro XS | 2021 Vexus AVX 1980/Mercury 150 Pro XS | "Overkill is underrated!" - "Då Som Nu För Alltid"

3/32 on a spinning rod is tough without the right set up, I could not imagine trying to throw a parachute Like that on a baitcaster. all my puff balls I throw on 4000 reels with 7-6 light action spinning, 8lb YGK braid to 6# flouro.

3. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by basscat21 View Post
    3/32 on a spinning rod is tough without the right set up, I could not imagine trying to throw a parachute Like that on a baitcaster. all my puff balls I throw on 4000 reels with 7-6 light action spinning, 8lb YGK braid to 6# flouro.
    Agree that presenting light hair jigs is a challenge even with the best JDM fishing tackle on Earth. I have been on a long journey over the last 5-years to move away from using spinning gear to avoid the issues such as wind knots and braid rod tip wrap that are inherent in the design of the spinning reel itself. My current spinning rod/reel/line for use with a 3/32oz hair jig (made by Thorne Bros) and the spectacular 3/16oz DUO Tetra Works Perakko spybait is an Evergreen Poseidon Salty Sensation PSSS-82T Rocky Huntsman with a Daiwa 15 3012H reel, and like yourself, I am using 10# YGK SS112 sinking braid with 6# Sunline FC Leader. This combination has proven itself to be exceptional over the course of the last two fishing seasons, but I'd like to move beyond the need to use any spinning gear in my boat in 2023.

To that end, I have invested in the casting version of the Rocky Huntsmen, the EG PSSC-82T Game Finder and I intend to pair this new JDM casting rod with a legacy Shimano 12 Conquest 50DC reel and the same 10# YGK sinking braid and FC Leader. My hope is that I can achieve sufficient distance with the "parachute" hair jig to properly present this lure in shallow clear water conditions during post-cold front fishing conditions.

Please have a great day!
    2022 Vexus VX20/Mercury 250 Pro XS | 2021 Vexus AVX 1980/Mercury 150 Pro XS | "Overkill is underrated!" - "Då Som Nu För Alltid"

4. Member
    On Land Big Fish they have Hillbilly Float and Fly Jigs for sale

That's a good looking tie, Basscat21! I'm guessing the X-select marabou wrapped around almost like you would with hackle? I used to tie a lot of (weightless) "intruder" style flies for steelhead and big brown trout that way, honestly never even considered tying it on a jighead for some reason. Awesome!
    2011 Skeeter ZX225
    225 Yamaha HPDI Series 2
    Minn Kota Ultrex 112 52"
    Console: HDS 16 Carbon
    Bow: HDS 12 Carbon, Solix 12 G2, Mega 360, Garmin 106 SV, LVS 34

Quote Originally Posted by DrewFlu33 View Post
    That's a good looking tie, Basscat21! I'm guessing the X-select marabou wrapped around almost like you would with hackle? I used to tie a lot of (weightless) "intruder" style flies for steelhead and big brown trout that way, honestly never even considered tying it on a jighead for some reason. Awesome!
    Thank you!

I an not a fan of wrapping truthfully. Cut fibers from stem, its time consuming, and takes multiple stacking around the jig collar.

That's definitely tedious, but can't argue with the results! Nice job!
    2011 Skeeter ZX225
    225 Yamaha HPDI Series 2
    Minn Kota Ultrex 112 52"
    Console: HDS 16 Carbon
    Bow: HDS 12 Carbon, Solix 12 G2, Mega 360, Garmin 106 SV, LVS 34

TW has some new jigs, well flies, listed from Dale Hollow Tackle. I'll probably pick a few up. Somebody has to do some field research on this stuff.

Quote Originally Posted by Quillback View Post
    TW has some new jigs, well flies, listed from Dale Hollow Tackle. I'll probably pick a few up. Somebody has to do some field research on this stuff.
    Those are pretty cheap! You could buy a bunch!

10. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Quillback View Post
    Nice, those seem to fill the hole that they left. I'm flush with different flies after all the tips in this thread, but might go back to these in the future.

11. Member
    Cant belive no one mentioned the modified float and fly floats. You can google or check u tube. I havent made one in years. So i may not be able to explain good. Its one of the weighted stryofoam floats you cut in middle. Put weight in middle. Float will flat. A biting on the rise the float stands or tilts. A lite bite tilts also. Its for those bites you may would not even feel tightlining.

12. Member
    When it comes to floats, I use the standard American fare a bunch (Thill etc.) I'd highly recommend that anybody who's really into this technique read up on wagglers, though: it's a type of bobber that's very popular in Europe (I grew up on them) and that's perfect for detecting the tiniest of bites (while also having exceptional stability in the water because the center of mass is far down). I.e. https://www.m-floats.com/html/waggler.html

When you said flies this is what i make.

Quote Originally Posted by Solitario Lupo View Post
    When you said flies this is what i make.

Beautiful @

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12