Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
  1. Member
    My 2021 with T2 worked by Croxton is normally 68-69 with two people, 1/2 tank/, full tackle but I do not have poles. It has a hydraulic plate and when I spoke with Mark he said to shoot for 2.5 inches prop to pad and go as high as 2 if water pressure is good, need the RPMS up to 6K. Same as others mine runs real flat, 36V 52inch trolling motor and 9 inch graph on the front with full lithium batteries - seems like it needs to be over trimmed to get any real speed out of it. Best I have ever seen was by myself (160lbs), little over a 1/4 tank of fuel and a slight chop - 73.4 around 6,125 RPM.

I hit my prop up on Champlain this past summer so will likely ask Mark to tweak it a bit when I send it back to get it true again.

My T1 is also worked by Croxton (per previous owner), I failed to mention that.

I'm guess I am just heavy, since I typically run with full tank, water in livewells and have dual poles, dual units on bow along with Ghost and Live Foot, plus 20+ rods/tackle/etc.

Still going to double check throttle as mentioned earlier in the thread.

Quote Originally Posted by 78Staff View Post
    I haven't noticed any air sucking in, but will pay closer attention next time.

How much are you trimmed up there at speed? I notice also it doesn't look like you have any stiff steering at speed either...

You're easily 10mph faster than me at 6000 rpm...
    Yeah, try to listen when you remove the gas cap after getting off the water. I would also hear it when filling up before a trip. If it is sucking in air, then you have a vent problem.

I typically trim almost all the way up to get the best speeds. I have a hydro plate, so I can keep the plate down for steering. When the chine walk gets too bad, I can raise the plate a couple inches to stop the chine walk. That's where I get the best speeds, but the steering wheel also gets real stiff.

I only have one Power-Pole, and I don't normally carry a lot of tackle. I still have the original AC Delco group 34 batteries that came with the boat. With my 350lb partner, his gear, full tank of gas, full live wells, spare prop, clothes, ice, drink, food, etc. I was still running 70mph with a 25p Tempest. The SHO T-1 ran 69mph once with that load, but I didn't have enough room to stretch it out.

Marc C. knows his props. His advise on prop-shaft height is spot on. I think I measured mine once, and it was around 2.5" below the pad. That is where I run with the "jack plate up". I don't care where it's at with the jack plate down.
    Gitcha Bass On!

2015 ZX225

So, it appeared... err sounds like like sucking in a bit of air... but very briefly, like a second only, or maybe even less. This was after running tank down from 38 gal or so to 15 gallons.

Experimented a bit today, lightened the boat, basically only took tools/safety gear - mostly weight in back. Half a dozen rods, and only one 3700 in front compartment. Oddly, it ran a bit slower, by 2 mph or so, topped out at 63mph at 6000rpm. Trimmed pretty much all the up, 95-100%. Also ran it down to around 15 gallons and no speed change really. Was surprised at that. I guess it's just a 65mph boat. "Ranger Fast", as Ken Smith say lol... On the plus side, zero chine walk at 65. Honestly, 65 is good enough for me, I just want to be sure I don't have some bad setup/config or something stupid costing me speed.

Still going to confirm hot foot/throttle travel mentioned earlier in the thread as soon as I can get a 2nd pair of eyes, as I don't like that the last part of the range does nothing. So not sure what is being effected, ie am I stretching/damaging anything ie spring/cable/etc by pushing the throttle too far, etc.

5. Member
    So, it appeared... err sounds like like sucking in a bit of air... but very briefly, like a second only, or maybe even less. This was after running tank down from 38 gal or so to 15 gallons.

Experimented a bit today, lightened the boat, basically only took tools/safety gear - mostly weight in back. Half a dozen rods, and only one 3700 in front compartment. Oddly, it ran a bit slower, by 2 mph or so, topped out at 63mph at 6000rpm. Trimmed pretty much all the up, 95-100%. Also ran it down to around 15 gallons and no speed change really. Was surprised at that. I guess it's just a 65mph boat. "Ranger Fast", as Ken Smith say lol... On the plus side, zero chine walk at 65. Honestly, 65 is good enough for me, I just want to be sure I don't have some bad setup/config or something stupid costing me speed.

Still going to confirm hot foot/throttle travel mentioned earlier in the thread as soon as I can get a 2nd pair of eyes, as I don't like that the last part of the range does nothing. So not sure what is being effected, ie am I stretching/damaging anything ie spring/cable/etc by pushing the throttle too far, etc.
    my hotfoot is same way.

6. bullyfish
    Only run my boat about 4500 RPM most of the time could care less how fast it goes. I am out there to go fishing not to do hot laps

Honestly as mentioned, I am no speed demon, just wanting to make sure setup not bad/wrong etc... I bet I run between 4-4.5K most of the time just piddling around.

That being said, sometimes when you gotta run a ways, you gotta go :). 65+ vs 45 makes a big difference running from Palatka or even Welaka to south end of George...

Quote Originally Posted by McQuaig View Post
    Since you say the last 25% of throttle range does nothing, you may want to check the throttle adjustment at motor. This pic (shown at idle) shows the correct alignment marks. The scribe mark should align with the arrow at full throttle. Some people mistakenly adjust it past the arrow until it hits the "bent tab" so the throttle plate opens fully (not correct).
    Attachment 508094
    BTW I finally got some help on this, and was able to adjust it to the correct alignment marks. It was turning past the mark as you mentioned, so I adjusted the hotfoot limit screw (assume this was correct way to adjust since I do see the full rpm range) to bottom out when the scribe lines up with the arrow. Took an inch, probabably a bit more out of the pedal. Don't think it will affect top end speed but at least I won't have that last bit of "phantom" pedal where nothing happens anymore. Actually feels a little strange with the shorter travel, but I'm sure I will adjust to it. Will try it out this weekend and report back any changes/issues.

9. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by BULLYFISH View Post
    Only run my boat about 4500 RPM most of the time could care less how fast it goes. I am out there to go fishing not to do hot laps
    Good for you.

10. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by BULLYFISH View Post
    Many of us probably don’t run WOT all the time. I don’t all that often either. That said if I’m making a long run or say an emergency situation arises I want to know my boat will do what it’s supposed to do. We all have things we probably don’t need, rods, tackle, fast boats, but it’s our hobby (some a job), but we all want our stuff to work how it’s supposed to and what we spent the money on.

Switch to a stock T2 (not necessarily that I wanted to, but busted up my Croxton worked T1 ). Was intially running about the same, 60-62 at 6K. Moved a bit more weight (all soft plastics) to the back since I am running Lithiums, and today did see an improvement - 67.4 mph with 3/4 tank, empty livewells. Actually it's the fastest this boat has run since I've owned it. I had the T1 up to 65 once but that was back when I first bought the boat. Have since added another pole, 2 more graphs, pole mount, etc lol.

Anyway, it's getting there. Would like to see something with a 7 in front of it, but happy with progress so far. Am leaning towards replacing the Slidemaster with a Bobs (not for speed necessarily, mostly for Florida shallow water) so maybe see some improvement with that as well being able to dial in motor height.

12. Member
    You are doing better than i am. I have a 2009 ZX225 and at 6000-6200rpm im seeing 58-61mph depending on conditions. I think i have 5 or 6 dots showing on my plate. But like yours i dont feel that the last 25% of the pedal changes much for me either. My trim guage isnt working so im not sure how high im trimming but when i get over 6000rpm id say thats enough trim. Can anybody tell me should i maybe raise my plate a dot or 2? Also im running a 25 T1. And ive got the Yamaha F Series with the grey cowling. NOT THE SHO
    Dustin Davis
    Fish the days no one else wants to!!

2009 Skeeter ZX225
    225 Yamaha 4stroke
    Minn Kota Ultrex
    HDS Gen3 12/HDS Carbon 9

You have a completely different boat, but you might have a similar issue. You definitely should not raise the jackplate. Doing so will likely make things worse. Your prop slip % is off the charts. You need to either lower the jackplate, or fix the prop. It's possible that you need to do both. Adjusting the jackplate is free, so I would start there. Most Skeeters like the prop shaft height 2.5" below pad. I recommend measuring what you have, and adjusting accordingly.
    Gitcha Bass On!

2015 ZX225

14. Member
    I have a 2015 ZX 225 with Dual poles, on2 12" on bow and never got above 69mph. Then added a Bobs Hydraulic jack plate and had my prop worked by Croxton. Now I run consistently with full tourney gear, 1/2 tank gas, and empty livewells 73-75mps. Best I have seen was 77.3mph. But took alot of tweaking to get it there. Also adjusting the load in your tackle areas.

Quote Originally Posted by jeffj6987 View Post
    I have a 2015 ZX 225 with Dual poles, on2 12" on bow and never got above 69mph. Then added a Bobs Hydraulic jack plate and had my prop worked by Croxton. Now I run consistently with full tourney gear, 1/2 tank gas, and empty livewells 73-75mps. Best I have seen was 77.3mph. But took alot of tweaking to get it there. Also adjusting the load in your tackle areas.
    That's good to hear, I have a Bob's going on in two weeks :). I've also found a replacement T1, and plan on sending off to Mark, and will have the T2 as a backup prop.

Ok so when I say 30% trim I'm referring to the digital value from the Yamaha nema feed - it's essentially right at the point before tilt kicks in (tilt kicks in 32%, at least on the trailer :) ). So relative to that I guess I should have said I am trimmed at about 93-95%. When I get to 30-31% (nema scale) I get that nice throaty 4-stroke growl and that's where i see the best performance, but again nowhere near 70mph.
    Older thread, but I finally got my Trim/RPM combo gauge sorted out by disconnecting the Brown/White wire and reconnecting the Purple (which I mistakingly took for Pink). So now my RPM gauge works again, analog trim is fully disconnected, and my Digital Trim reads like most had mentioned in prior posts, ie reading from 0-100 for the trim range instead of what I had before (basically 0-32).

17. Member
    Older thread, but I finally got my Trim/RPM combo gauge sorted out by disconnecting the Brown/White wire and reconnecting the Purple (which I mistakingly took for Pink). So now my RPM gauge works again, analog trim is fully disconnected, and my Digital Trim reads like most had mentioned in prior posts, ie reading from 0-100 for the trim range instead of what I had before (basically 0-32).
    I was looking to do this with my 2021 since everything is displaying through NEMA except the trim. Can you post up a picture of the two wires you connected in the motor to get the trim value working? I have seen a couple posts about two pink wires but I am unable to locate anything on my 225 that looks similar. Before you disconnected the gauge you had both working but the digital was 0-32 instead of 0-100? I could probably live with that if it was accurate with 32 being 100% before tilt kicked in.

So, the wires/connectors should be taped together side by side with yellow tape, and not connected. You will see them in the lower pan near the ECU on the left/port side of the motor (at least on my SHO). Remove the yellow tape and connect the wires together...

From Factory:

Connected:

Once you connect these, you also have to disconnect the wire at the gauge, apparently or the readings will not be accurate. My initial attempt was to disconnect what I though was a faded or "off pink-ish" color wire (following the pink wire recommendation), not realizing it was actually the purple wire which was the key on power wire. So I lost both the Trim and RPM as I killed the power source . I had RPM on my MFD so didn't worry about to much, but did want to get it sorted out. Anyway this is what resulted in my trim reading 0-32 in the trim range, with tilt kicking in after that (32 and up). Which worked, but was not correct really.

So with help of a few folks in the Yamaha and Skeeter boards, it was determined that the correct wire to disconnect from the RPM/Trim combo gauge is actually the Brown/White Stripe wire. So with Purple reconnected, and Brown/White Stripe disconnected, I have normal RPM gauge again and Digital Trim is reading the full range again (instead of being stuck at 124% which is what happens when you don't disconnect the analog Trim wire). This also corrected the trim range readings, so that I have 0-100 for the trim range, and 100-124 for the Tilt range, essentially.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12