1/4 and 3/8 Ned Head with #1 Hook

Does anybody know a heavy Ned head with #1 hook? Targeting those deep (40+ feet) winter fish.

I have a tungsten head like that here, so I know they exist. But it’s mixed in with all my other heads and I have no idea what brand it was. Picture attached (on the right, a head with 1/0 hook for comparison on the left). All hooks I see on Tackle Warehouse have 1/0 hooks or don’t specify the hook.

2. Member
    New attachment, hopefully this one is valid.
    IMG_8557.jpg
    Last edited by Drakestar; 12-17-2022 at 06:11 PM.

3. Member
    Apparently, your attachment is invalid when I try to view it sir.
    2022 Vexus VX20/Mercury 250 Pro XS | 2021 Vexus AVX 1980/Mercury 150 Pro XS | "Overkill is underrated!" - "Då Som Nu För Alltid"

Quote Originally Posted by Drakestar View Post
    Does anybody know a heavy Ned head with #1 hook? Targeting those deep (40+ feet) winter fish.

I have a tungsten head like that here, so I know they exist. But it’s mixed in with all my other heads and I have no idea what brand it was. Picture attached (on the right, a head with 1/0 hook for comparison on the left). All hooks I see on Tackle Warehouse have 1/0 hooks or don’t specify the hook.
    Closest that I have found is the WOO! Tungsten head - the bigger sizes (1/4 & 3/8 oz.) are a 1/0 hook. But these seem to work for the standard TRD etc.

5. Member
    Thanks! I’m a fan of Woo! actually, might get some more. The reason I’m looking for a #1 hook is that I’ll take my 12y son a bunch, and I don’t actually mind if we pick up a big bluegill or crappie or two while fishing. But for that the hook needs to be small enough. I foundation that Siebert Outdoors does custom orders with those hooks; it’s only lead (I prefer tungsten for such big Ned weights and at that depth), but worth a shot for sure.

Quite a few options in 1/4 oz with a size 1...Siebert Outdoors's "Morel Head" as you mentioned, Barlow's Ned Heads (https://barlowstackle.com/ned-head-jig-heads/), and Picasso has a tungsten one (https://www.picassooutdoors.com/product_p/ptnh.htm), but definitely tougher to find them in 3/8.

I use a lot of Swagger tungsten "Flanders" Ned Heads as they have been really high quality in my experience, but they end up at 2/0 in the heavier sizes. That's always been OK for me because when I'm at a heavier size I'm throwing it as a "jig worm" where I'm using a bigger plastic, but that's honestly a completely different thing. You've got an interesting dilemma!
    2011 Skeeter ZX225
    225 Yamaha HPDI Series 2
    Minn Kota Ultrex 112 52"
    Console: HDS 16 Carbon
    Bow: HDS 12 Carbon, Solix 12 G2, Mega 360

7. Member
    I ordered some Siebert Outdoors head, should be here soon. Thanks for the pointer to the Picasso Heads! I didn't realize they had a #1 option because TW doesn't list that one for 1/4oz, they only sell the 1/0 and 2/0 options. I might direct-order some from their page. Not sure how I feel about the angle of that line tie, but I guess if it's paired with a floating trailer that stands up, it's at the right angle(?)

Quote Originally Posted by Drakestar View Post
    I ordered some Siebert Outdoors head, should be here soon. Thanks for the pointer to the Picasso Heads! I didn't realize they had a #1 option because TW doesn't list that one for 1/4oz, they only sell the 1/0 and 2/0 options. I might direct-order some from their page. Not sure how I feel about the angle of that line tie, but I guess if it's paired with a floating trailer that stands up, it's at the right angle(?)
    That exact thing is what has stopped me from buying them in the past. On one hand, I kind of suspect Aaron designed or at least had a part in designing that head, so it feels like a dumb idea to question that. On the other, it seems like it's designed completely for getting the bait to stand up on the bottom with little attention paid to how it might affect hooksets. The only way I can see it playing out in my mind is that the hook point sort of "rocks" down and away from the roof of the fish's mouth when you lean into them, leaving you to hope that it catches something on the way out. Could be a problem if you have a fish swimming toward you? Admittedly I'm having a hard time envisioning how that will go when setting into a fish, so I could be completely off.
    2011 Skeeter ZX225
    225 Yamaha HPDI Series 2
    Minn Kota Ultrex 112 52"
    Console: HDS 16 Carbon
    Bow: HDS 12 Carbon, Solix 12 G2, Mega 360