Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

EZ Flex wet bolt kit with Flat Equalizer

I’m looking to upgrade my 2008 Marine Master trailer with the Dexter EZ flex kit. One problem I’m seeing is that my trailer has a flat/straight equalizer and all the kits I’m seeing have curved equalizers. Has anyone done this conversion before? I’m thinking it’ll be ok and just raise my ride height a bit, but wanted to ask around.

Edit: I just measured axle to axle and I’m getting 32”, not 33”, which is different too.
    Last edited by dabassking; 12-17-2022 at 11:52 AM.

2. Member
    Suggest you contact Dexter and ask your question about the correct kit.

3. Member
    I’m revisiting this because I haven’t found a solution. None of the Dexter parts seem to match my current hardware. My equalizer is straight and my shackles look to measure 2.5” from hole to hole as opposed to the 2.25” shackles that Dexter sells. I guess my only option is to just buy the Dexter brass bushings and wet bolts and replace those only. Does anyone else have any suggestions?

Emailing Dexter didn’t help. They just referred me to their catalog.

4. Member
    If you call the gang from eastern marine.com they might be able to help you out….they were pretty knowledgable

i ordered the same kit from eastern and in the instructions it looked like they had different kits for different style equalizers….i didn’t look too close at that though

use your equalizer, and just use the wet bolts.
    Bryan McDonough
    2023 Nitro Z21 XL
    Nitro Team

Quote Originally Posted by BMCD View Post
    use your equalizer, and just use the wet bolts.
    Highly doubt that will work, the wet bolts are thicker and need the brass bushing that is in the equalizer. I personally used a standard equalizer from dexter not the flex version. I ordinarily ordered the wrong height version and then got the taller version. I guess i wouldnt sweat the 1 inch in 33/32" axel spacing i would bet the shackles will straighten out that minor difference. As long as the equalizer is enough to keep the tires off the fenders

Wow mine was the same size bolt all around. My bushings did not go in the equalizer.

I Must have had a different kit from Dexter.
    Bryan McDonough
    2023 Nitro Z21 XL
    Nitro Team

8. Scraps
    Any solution to this? Looking to do this myself.
    2017 Phoenix 819
    2016 200ProXS, s/n 2B359849, Mod 1200P73BD

I originally got a kit that came with a equalizer that was nearly flat but still 2.25 inches of height. I needed a 6.25 , so there is a kit out there if you look hard enough. I still have my minimal height ones but show them to people with the worn out factory hardware

10. Scraps
    Quote Originally Posted by Fishysam View Post
    I originally got a kit that came with a equalizer that was nearly flat but still 2.25 inches of height. I needed a 6.25 , so there is a kit out there if you look hard enough. I still have my minimal height ones but show them to people with the worn out factory hardware
    Yeah, later I think I found a kit that would work, similar length to the equalizer. But to maintain the same trailer height could go to a longer shackle link or just let the trailer ride a touch higher? This to accommodate the triangle shape equalizer where the spring attachments would be lower in height.
    Last edited by krindgen; 05-25-2023 at 10:40 AM.
    2017 Phoenix 819

11. Member
    My ez flex has been amazing
    Ron Fears
    Stroker/300XS
    1E003823

Quote Originally Posted by krindgen View Post
    Yeah, later I think I found a kit that would work, similar length to the equalizer. But to maintain the same trailer height could go to a longer shackle link or just let the trailer ride a touch higher? This to accommodate the triangle shape equalizer where the spring attachments would be lower in height.

the dexter shackles are part of this upgrade they are literally 3/8" thick. Call around trailer shops till you have someone who will take it in and get it done, if i were close to you id Come get the measurements and find your kit online
    Mercury 250 proxs 2B115089

13. Scraps
    Quote Originally Posted by Fishysam View Post
    the dexter shackles are part of this upgrade they are literally 3/8" thick. Call around trailer shops till you have someone who will take it in and get it done, if i were close to you id Come get the measurements and find your kit online
    I found a kit that is close, the equalizer length exact. Kit is by Lippert, yellow equalizer. But can't find shackles long enough to keep the same geometry. One thing I thought about was drilling a hole above the existing hole on the trailer bracket for the center of the equalizer. I've contacted eTrailer and Dexter and I don't think they give it much thought, they look at the two equalizers and have no ideas of how to make it work. A trailer shop would be the answer.
    Last edited by krindgen; 05-31-2023 at 09:48 AM.
    2017 Phoenix 819

14. Member
    I installed a wet bolt kit on my 2005 marine master trailer recently. Not sure if it's the same as your 2008, but guessing it is. I used the MoRryde U012-016 wet bolt kit that I bought from etrailer. (I just looked again and they don't list the same part number I bought a couple months ago, but have another that looks similar) It's a 2 1/4" shackle kit and worked fine. For some reason I couldn't find 2 1/2" like the original. At least on my trailer, all of the sleeves are 11/16" x 9/16" x 1 3/4". Also, I needed to replace the equalizer because the bolt holes were wallowed out. Found the straight 5.5" replacement at trailerandtruckparts. It will come with plastic bushings installed. I drove them out and installed the bronze bushings from the wet bolt kit. They will be a tight fit to install, but will go. I found that one of the old bolts made a good bushing installer.

Pro tip: check that the zerks and bolts flow grease before installing. My zerk fittings wouldn't flow with reasonable pressure and MoRryde sent replacements. Also use a sharpie to mark the location of the grease hole in the bolt on the bolt head so you know where it is after installing. The instructions will say that hole needs to be at 9 or 3 o'clock. But the bolt will rotate when tightening the nut and you'll lose track of where that hole is.

Tom Gates, 2005 Triton TR196DC LE, 200 Opti

15. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by tr196 View Post
    I installed a wet bolt kit on my 2005 marine master trailer recently. Not sure if it's the same as your 2008, but guessing it is. I used the MoRryde U012-016 wet bolt kit that I bought from etrailer. (I just looked again and they don't list the same part number I bought a couple months ago, but have another that looks similar) It's a 2 1/4" shackle kit and worked fine. For some reason I couldn't find 2 1/2" like the original. At least on my trailer, all of the sleeves are 11/16" x 9/16" x 1 3/4". Also, I needed to replace the equalizer because the bolt holes were wallowed out. Found the straight 5.5" replacement at trailerandtruckparts. It will come with plastic bushings installed. I drove them out and installed the bronze bushings from the wet bolt kit. They will be a tight fit to install, but will go. I found that one of the old bolts made a good bushing installer.

Pro tip: check that the zerks and bolts flow grease before installing. My zerk fittings wouldn't flow with reasonable pressure and MoRryde sent replacements. Also use a sharpie to mark the location of the grease hole in the bolt on the bolt head so you know where it is after installing. The instructions will say that hole needs to be at 9 or 3 o'clock. But the bolt will rotate when tightening the nut and you'll lose track of where that hole is.
    I did the same thing on my MM trailer for a 2016 Phoenix. Couldn't find 2 1/2" shackles so I went with the 2 1/4". It raises the height of the trailer 1/4" and works just fine.

16. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by tr196 View Post

Thanks for this info. I’m finally getting around to doing this over the winter and just found a great deal on the MORryde kit on Amazon and the equalizers on eBay.

17. Scraps
    Quote Originally Posted by dabassking View Post
    Thanks for this info. I’m finally getting around to doing this over the winter and just found a great deal on the MORryde kit on Amazon and the equalizers on eBay.
    Look at your existing center equalizer bolt and compare to the kit. The ones I got in the kit were a bit too short and had to order the next size up.
    2017 Phoenix 819

18. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by krindgen View Post
    Look at your existing center equalizer bolt and compare to the kit. The ones I got in the kit were a bit too short and had to order the next size up.
    Will do. Thanks!

19. Scraps
    Will do. Thanks!
    Good grease gun (I only have a mini and meh, don't think it had enough balls), long and short pry bars, half inch impact really makes it go quicker, couple jacks with blocks, jack stands. I put blue Loctite on the nuts.
    2017 Phoenix 819

20. Scraps
    Will do. Thanks!
    I replaced that center equalizer bolt this weekend with the next size up. To get a little tension on the bolt I had to use two washers under the nut on both equalizers.
    2017 Phoenix 819

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast