Page 1 of 14 12311 ... LastLast

Jeep announces layoffs, plans to close plant

Jeep announced they will layoff 1,300 workers, and then close the Cherokee plant in Illinois in 2023. The reason? They are going electric, and built a plant in....Mexico. I am looking to replace my 15 year old Avalanche, and was considering a RAM. Fiat owns Jeep and RAM. I do not like laying off Americans and going out of country. Ford also did this , as well as GM. I see both Toyota is spending 4 billion, and Honda is spending 4.4 billion, for electric vehicle plants in the US. Looks like I will be riding in a Toyota. Wished Honda made a truck also.

2. Member

3. Member
    I believe Stellantis owns them now. Doesn't really matter because it sucks and as a Ford employee it really pisses me off when they continue to send work to Mexico.

4. Member
    Mexican & Canadian plants are fine with me. They're our largest trading partners.
    All of them are Americans and they both affect our economy and global security.
    We will never make everything here, nor should we try. Mexico & Canada > China.
    Nationalism is ugly. Let them build things, we can design them, etc. It all works.

5. Member

6. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by lakebouef5 View Post
    Jeep announced they will layoff 1,300 workers, and then close the Cherokee plant in Illinois in 2023. The reason? They are going electric, and built a plant in....Mexico. I am looking to replace my 15 year old Avalanche, and was considering a RAM. Fiat owns Jeep and RAM. I do not like laying off Americans and going out of country. Ford also did this , as well as GM. I see both Toyota is spending 4 billion, and Honda is spending 4.4 billion, for electric vehicle plants in the US. Looks like I will be riding in a Toyota. Wished Honda made a truck also.
    The Honda Ridgeline is built in Lincoln, Alabama. It was also developed by Honda engineers in the U.S., which makes it an American-made truck. According to Honda News, the Ridgeline is not the only vehicle that Honda builds in AL

7. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by billnorman1 View Post
    The Honda Ridgeline is built in Lincoln, Alabama. It was also developed by Honda engineers in the U.S., which makes it an American-made truck. According to Honda News, the Ridgeline is not the only vehicle that Honda builds in AL
    Ridgeline is a million mile vehicle.

8. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by ProVle View Post
    GM produces 830,000 vehicles a year in Mexico, and Ford builds over 400,000 vehicles a year in Mexico. I am against closing ANY US plant and laying off workers, but build them in another nation.....

9. Ft Gibson Lake America lakefolk's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by rid 05 198 View Post
    Ridgeline is a million mile vehicle.
    Tell that to my nephew,,
    not saying it's not a good vehicle because it is.. But the majority aint going a million without major work and a lot of vehicles will do that

"Being a winner is more than getting a first place trophy, it is acting like the effort was an honor and the trophy is just a decoration."

"A successful man is one who can lay a firm foundation with the bricks others have thrown at him"

10. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by TampaJim View Post
    Mexican & Canadian plants are fine with me. They're our largest trading partners.
    Nationalism is ugly. Let them build things, we can design them, etc. It all works.
    WOW!!
    Winner for the most anti American post ever!
    And this one you couldn't google for an answer.
    I sincerely hope no one else agrees with him.

11. Member
    Sucks to read that!

12. Member
    And this is the problem today. They are NOT Americans, they are other nations. Come on man, have some pride in your country. Next you'll say it's OK for the CCP to be spying on us with Tik Tok because they are American too ha.

13. Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Aj14 View Post
    WOW!!
    Winner for the most anti American post ever!
    And this one you couldn't google for an answer.
    I sincerely hope no one else agrees with him.
    I have to agree.

14. Member
    A lightning rod statement for sure. As a very minor cog in the American (U.S.A. American) system, I believe there should be trade between nations. Perhaps those trade nations would also share the poorly educated 1.6 million political refugees the U S A has somehow absorbed in FY 2021 with more on the way.

Too bad for you as Ram makes a fine truck. Maybe the US policies driving this EV wave is the real culprit.

Ram makes a great truck with a Hemi 5.7. No electric stuff for me.
    Attached Images Attached Images

17. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by iron banks View Post
    Too bad for you as Ram makes a fine truck. Maybe the US policies driving this EV wave is the real culprit.

18. Member
    This is in my hometown, and I actually worked at the plant for a few years not that long ago. Rumors have always swirled that the plant was going to close for this reason or that, but now that it seems it’s actually true it has me very concerned about the economic impact to our area.

19. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Black Duck View Post
    This is in my hometown, and I actually worked at the plant for a few years not that long ago. Rumors have always swirled that the plant was going to close for this reason or that, but now that it seems it’s actually true it has me very concerned about the economic impact to our area.
    so sorry for those who will be out of work
    Greg
    Edgewater 245CC

This is not trade between nations, this is an industry that could provide good jobs for American workers moving overseas. Meanwhile we import at least 2 million people per year, and the main justification for it is they do jobs Americans won't do. I would hope that working a job to build EV's with good pay and benefits is something an American worker would want to do. Losing those jobs is a loss for us, there is no way around it.

If EV's are the future we want to make them here.

Page 1 of 14 12311 ... LastLast