Northern Harrier on the Hunt!

Two Northern Harriers put on a show yesterday afternoon.
    Photos taken at wildlife area that was once a landfill in York Co, PA.

Canon R5 with Canon RF600 f4L and RF1.4TC
    840mm f5.6 1/2000 ISO400

Attachment 507742

Attachment 507743

Attachment 507744

Attachment 507745

2. Shutterbug Forum Moderator bdog7198's Avatar
    Awesome shots!!!!

Still trying to get a decent pic of one, everytime I see one its off in the distance.
    Prints and more available at: http://BSPhotography.co/
    Digital downloads available at: https://licensing.pixels.com/profiles/1-brian-shoemaker
    IG: BSPhotographyZ9

3. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by bdog7198 View Post
    Awesome shots!!!!

Still trying to get a decent pic of one, everytime I see one its off in the distance.
    I have found that Harriers, and other wildlife, will come close if you stay in you vehicle and shoot from your window.
    Vehicles are good bird/wildlife blinds.
    The moment you or someone else gets out of their vehicle they move away and you're left with distant shots.

The down side, this time of year when shooting from your window, is the cold temps outside your vehicle as compared to inside.
    This causes blur in your photos from heat distortion until things acclimate to the cold.
    To help with this I will not run the heat in my truck as I drive to a location and when I arrive I lower the windows to let what remaining warmth escape.
    Also, for the first half hour or so, after I arrive, I will not mount the lens hood on my long telephoto lens.
    The hood traps heat and when removed it allows the lens to acclimate to the cold temps faster.

These shots were taken from just across the PA/MD border near Stewartstown, PA in
    Hopewell Rec Park. Seeing that you are located in MD this maybe close to you.

Two Harriers work the Park fields in the afternoon hours and shots can be taken from the parking lot with little or no obstructions.
    It doesn't get any easier.

4. Member
    Great pics!

5. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by BrianKF View Post
    Great pics!
    Thanks!

6. Member
    EXCELLENT!!

7. Shutterbug Forum Moderator bdog7198's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Curt Wilke View Post
    I have found that Harriers, and other wildlife, will come close if you stay in you vehicle and shoot from your window.
    Vehicles are good bird/wildlife blinds.
    The moment you or someone else gets out of their vehicle they move away and you're left with distant shots.

The down side, this time of year when shooting from your window, is the cold temps outside your vehicle as compared to inside.
    This causes blur in your photos from heat distortion until things acclimate to the cold.
    To help with this I will not run the heat in my truck as I drive to a location and when I arrive I lower the windows to let what remaining warmth escape.
    Also, for the first half hour or so, after I arrive, I will not mount the lens hood on my long telephoto lens.
    The hood traps heat and when removed it allows the lens to acclimate to the cold temps faster.

These shots were taken from just across the PA/MD border near Stewartstown, PA in
    Hopewell Rec Park. Seeing that you are located in MD this maybe close to you.

Two Harriers work the Park fields in the afternoon hours and shots can be taken from the parking lot with little or no obstructions.
    It doesn't get any easier.
    Most of the harriers I have been seeing are back away from roads, in fields or pastures. Rarely in places where I can park my truck. Most of my birding trips I am walking for a few minutes. Last one I saw when I had my camera I was in a boat fishing, laid my camera across the coangler seat and grabbed it when something showed up.

Has been good recently, started seeing the barred owls again and more hawks now that its cold.
    Prints and more available at: http://BSPhotography.co/
    Digital downloads available at: https://licensing.pixels.com/profiles/1-brian-shoemaker
    IG: BSPhotographyZ9

All are GREAT shots but I really like #2 and #4.

9. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by BrianKF View Post
    Great pics!
    Thank you!

10. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by fiveeyes View Post
    EXCELLENT!!
    Thanks!

11. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Skeet'r89 View Post
    All are GREAT shots but I really like #2 and #4.
    Thank You!

Right place and time Nice

Thanks for sharing

Steve McQueen "Le Mans"
    Own the Champ! Life Long Petty Fan!

2003 ChampioN 2006 250 Merc. XB, Prop By Mark C.
    2002 Ranger Okeechobee Special EvinRude Ficht 90 / 9.9 4-Stroke GLAD to have a Get me to the Dock motor maybe!