Thread: Over reving

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Over reving

I just got a 2014 250 pro xs for my boat and wide-open throttle, it is turning 6400 RPM. The question is what is the rpm range of that motor there is no alarms going off. The tac seems to be working like it should. The boat is a 2008 triton tr20x2 with a 25 tempest running around 71 mph

2. Member
    Engine serial number? Analog or Smartcraft tach?
    _______

Phil
    '09 Hewescraft ProV
    '09 150 Optimax

analog tach or smartcraft
    Thank You Leon Pugh

4. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    If you would, please take a moment to review the Announcements at the top of the Forum, and be sure to provide the Required Info (serial number) when posting. Thanks!

One of two things:

1. Analog tach that is INACCURATE (quite common)

-or-

2. Modified PCM (even if it has been, this is still unlikely to be accurate RPM's, see above).

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

5. Member
    I will get the serial # later but it is analog

6. Member
    With the 25" prop assuming 10% slip, you're turning 5831 rpm at 71 mph.

7. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    And depending on the serial number (specifically which gearcase is on it), it may not be even close to 10% slip.

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

8. Member
    I just got the serial #2B018942

9. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    You have a Gen-2 TM gearcase. 10% would be quite high for that case (commonly in the 5-8% range when setup decent).

Really need to get RPM's from a Smartcraft Instrument or display. 6400 is not impossible, but also not likely.

10. Member
    Going to install mercury vessel view Thursday just to compare RPM and go from there

11. Member
    Come to find out my motor has a gen one torque master lower unit not a gen two. I don’t know if it was ever changed or not

12. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Let's get a couple pictures of that gearcase (from the sides). Also confirm which prop hub you have (ie: OD of propshaft at splines).

No doubt that this engine left the factory with a Gen-2 Torquemaster.

Had another G2 installed back in 2019 (about 185 hrs).

13. Member
    I could not figure out how to download the picture, but the lower unit has eight holes on the side and four on the front

14. Member
    black or silver , does the cavitation plate extend forward past rear retaining nut/stud , torque masters have short cav plates , gen 2s have only 3 pick up holes on each side with small wing from leading edge extending backwards
    .................................................. ...the scariest thing in life is the unknown ...................................

15. Member
    It looks like the lower unit was originally silver, and the cavitation plate runs almost all the way to the front

16. Member

17. Member
    Wrong lower unit for that motor, and boat

18. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    +1 ^^^^^^

19. Member
    That is what was on it when I got it. Will it hurt it to keep running it

20. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    It's simply not designed for this engine/application, and was never used on the 250 ProXS engines as it just didn't hold up to that much torque/hp well.

99% certain of what one you have... if you want to post a picture from the side that shows the WHOLE gearcase, we can make it 100%.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast