Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Considering better glass

Thinking about getting a decent scope for a 30-06 my dad built 65 years ago. It currently has a 1x-4x Swift with Weaver rings. My 7mm-08 is the go-to for my deer/coyote hunting but I wouldn't mind having something set-up with a little more oomph that can reach out and touch something (300-400+ yds). I can't vouch for the accuracy yet but I expect it'll perform with the right load. It's a heavy bolt action and had a heavy trigger which I recently had lightened to just over 3#. Now for some glass.

Looking at Leupold VX-5HD, Zeiss Conquest VX4 or maybe Duralyt, possibly Kahle, and to be honest, the Maven RS1 has caught my eye too but I'm not wed to anything yet. Most of these are in the 3x-15x range which I think would do the trick. Your experience and thoughts on value, function, and reticles would be appreciated.

2. Member
    I have the Zeiss Conquest V4 4x16 on my Tikka 6.5CM. Great scope. Very bright and clear. I can't compare it to the other scopes, but I sure don't have any complaints about the Zeiss. I've had no issues with it at all.
    John

I have an older model Leupold VX6, Not the HD model and I love it. Its on my Howa 270 right now.
    Maven gets a pretty good review from what I have read about them and a pretty decent price for a mid range price.
    if your going high end I think it will be hard to beat a Leupold, Zeiss or Nightforce.

Leupold has been getting a lot of negative talk on many hunting and shooting forums. Are you wanting something with exposed turret for dialing? FFP or SFP?

Not sure what you’re wanting to spend, but eurooptics has a great sale on Trijicon right now. Couple buddies have been running them for a while and have had zero issues with tracking and the glass is really good. I picked up two of the Tenmile 3-18x50 and have zero complaints. Have done tracking test with both and they are right on the money. Look at the optics section on Rokslide. There is a lot of testing done on a bunch of scopes.

5. Member
    I owned the VX5 and loved it. There is some buzz about the QC on Leupold sliding a bit recently but they make so many scopes that there is something there for everyone. One sleeper you might want to take a peek at would be an Athalon scope. Never owned one but have shot a few and they are impressive for the money.......Think Vortex 10 yrs ago before they got big....only better.
    5 Short of a limit

I’ve got a lot of scopes, but my best one is a VX5 HD with the Fire Dot reticle. It’s a great optic and can be had at a discount from some online retailers. Check out the Meopta scopes and there’s certainly nothing wrong with the Zeiss you mentioned.

7. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by MikeSouza View Post
    Leupold has been getting a lot of negative talk on many hunting and shooting forums. Are you wanting something with exposed turret for dialing? FFP or SFP?
    At this point I'd say no to dialing up the right combo at crunch time. I think I'd prefer to do some version of BDC in a FFP but it really gets to be a lot of stuff to consider with all the different options out there.

I don't think I could own a scope that doesn't track reasonably well. Haven't looked at the Trijicon lineup yet. Not sure why I passed them by.

Quote Originally Posted by BP in ME View Post
    At this point I'd say no to dialing up the right combo at crunch time. I think I'd prefer to do some version of BDC in a FFP but it really gets to be a lot of stuff to consider with all the different options out there.

I don't think I could own a scope that doesn't track reasonably well. Haven't looked at the Trijicon lineup yet. Not sure why I passed them by.
    Trijicon is a good option. I have a 3-9 Accupoint on a .300 Ham’r, and have really been impressed with it. The illuminated dot in the center of the reticle is great for precision work. Glass is on par with any of your other selections.
    Aaron Campbell
    Barling, AR
    2007 Bass Cat Sabre
    2011 Merc 175 Pro XS

Some of the higher end Sig Sauer scopes I have heard some pretty good reviews on as well.

A lot of good options out there. My last two Leupolds failed internally. One right out of the box. I used to only use Leupold, but not any more. I have switched over to Swarovski, Zeiss and Meopta. Swarovski Z3s are very lightweight if that is important. Meopta Optika scopes are the heaviest too. There are plenty of good ones out there just stay away from China made scopes. Philippine made scopes are OK. Japan are solid and German are top notch. I recently bought a Vortex Viper HST for a dialing 600yard scope. I have heard their Viper lines and higher are solid.

You also need to look into First and Second Focal plane differences. I think you are better off with a SFP scope. I would recommend a Swarovski.

USN Retired
    2020 Basscat Caracal
    2020 Mercury 225 ProXS 4s

Thinking about getting a decent scope for a 30-06 my dad built 65 years ago. It currently has a 1x-4x Swift with Weaver rings. My 7mm-08 is the go-to for my deer/coyote hunting but I wouldn't mind having something set-up with a little more oomph that can reach out and touch something (300-400+ yds). I can't vouch for the accuracy yet but I expect it'll perform with the right load. It's a heavy bolt action and had a heavy trigger which I recently had lightened to just over 3#. Now for some glass.

Looking at Leupold VX-5HD, Zeiss Conquest VX4 or maybe Duralyt, possibly Kahle, and to be honest, the Maven RS1 has caught my eye too but I'm not wed to anything yet. Most of these are in the 3x-15x range which I think would do the trick. Your experience and thoughts on value, function, and reticles would be appreciated.
    Can't really help you on a new scope for the 06 because I haven't bought a new scope in 35 years. But I really think you are under estimating the abilities of your 7-08. I would have never blinked an eye at 300 yrds with my 7-08. The 400 would only have been an issue because I had never had the chance to see where it shot at that distance.

12. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Skeet'r89 View Post
    Can't really help you on a new scope for the 06 because I haven't bought a new scope in 35 years. But I really think you are under estimating the abilities of your 7-08. I would have never blinked an eye at 300 yrds with my 7-08. The 400 would only have been an issue because I had never had the chance to see where it shot at that distance.
    I love my 7-08 and would be OK with shooting deer at 400 yds with the right set-up but not moose or elk. This '06 has a nostalgia factor in addition to approx 50% more energy at that distance (depending on loads)

13. Member
    I have 3 older VariX 3.5x10x50 Leupolds but my Zeiss Conquest 4.5x14x44 puts them to shame. Check with Doug at Cameraland in New York, he will beat anyone's prices. My son and I have bought scopes, binoculars and cameras from him over the last 15 years. He will tell you the best scopes for the money.

14. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by 06 SB View Post

You also need to look into First and Second Focal plane differences. I think you are better off with a SFP scope. I would recommend a Swarovski.
    Why do you consider it the best choice? Don't you have to make sure it's on the highest magnification to be able to use the BDC/holdover marks? Otherwise you have to make adjustments, right? I'm not really convinced that either of them is the clear-cut best choice for me but I'm leaning towards FFP for simplicity.

Why do you consider it the best choice? Don't you have to make sure it's on the highest magnification to be able to use the BDC/holdover marks? Otherwise you have to make adjustments, right? I'm not really convinced that either of them is the clear-cut best choice for me but I'm leaning towards FFP for simplicity.
    Oh boy, where do I start. First of all brightness and lightweight are king for me in my hunting rifles. The biggest deer I have put down have all been at VERY low light conditions at fairly close range. Swarovski and Zeiss are the brightest that I have used. This is where FFP scopes suffer. On lower powers and low light, the reticle clutter up the scope. If an animal is way out there, I should have time to turn the magnification up to max and shoot. FFP scopes tend to be heavier but the can be more simple to use in longer ranges...more than 300 yards IMO. Inside that, I would rather have a SFP scope just because wind and drop are much less significant. A simple BDC reticle on a SFP scope would be fine in this arena too.

USN Retired
    2020 Basscat Caracal

Look closely at the Meopta Optika 5 2-10x42 Z-Plex riflescope.

17. Member
    Ffp can be just as bright in low light, its just generally more $ than the equivalent in 2fp. The problem with ffp is its very hard to find reticles that are bold-enough on lowest magnification to satisfy someone using the gun mainly at closer range and low power. But brightness for low light isnt an issue caused by being ffp—many of the euro scopes designed for night hunting are fixed-power ffp scopes just as one example. If you're considering that budget check out schmidt and bender just as one option with Swarovski-quality glass, but ffp and what is generally regarded as a more durable platform. Their p3 and p4 reticles are un-cluttered mil-dot reticles for holdovers, that are still bold enough to use at lowest-magnification against all but the most cluttered background—it basically looks like a fine duplex at low power, and the reticle hash marks become visible as you zoom in. If you are going to use holdovers instead of dialing past 250 yards or so, a ffp is helpful so it works regardless of magnification. Nothing wrong with 2fp for what you described, but if you have any hope of using any type of reticle holdovers in a 2fp would recommmend you keep maximum magnification at 10x or less so you arent really handicapping yourself in the field of view dept in order to use the reticle.
    Ive also had problems with several high end leupold and vortex scopes not holding zero so I shy away from those brands. Check out a nightforce shv or trijicon accupoint, they’ll be in the budget class of the other scopes mentioned with very solid reputation for reliability, which is the #1 priority for me in a hunting scope.
    Last edited by MacIntosh; 12-19-2022 at 08:30 PM.

Good points Mac and you explained the FFP low light issue waaay better than I did.

USN Retired
    2020 Basscat Caracal

19. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by MacIntosh View Post
    Ffp can be just as bright in low light, its just generally more $ than the equivalent in 2fp. The problem with ffp is its very hard to find reticles that are bold-enough on lowest magnification to satisfy someone using the gun mainly at closer range and low power.
    I've heard that issue mentioned more than once and it's definitely a concern. Like I say, the FFP/SFP decision doesn't seem that cut-and-dried.

20. Member
    I have had good luck with Burris scopes. Steiner is another premium brand but you don’t hear much about them.
    2013 Stratos 189vlo
    2013 150hp Mercury Optimax Pro XS 1B964117

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast