Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
  1. Member

Hatches...

Started building the hatches. Doing a dry hatch system with pieces of 3/4 x 1/2" angle iron so their is a half inch lip so you would need over a 1/2" of water on the frames before the hatches could flood plus they will have some seal just incase. The lids are all half inch tube brazed together and gonna rivet 0.090 aluminum to the top.

Also got the new seats in, unfortunately they came damaged so need to reach out about the warrantee.

2. Member

Update...

Been working away at the build. Originally had planed out the 14g brute box for the live well but after some considerations decided to get a custom aluminum one welded so we can fit a 22g. Doing a full flow right live well system allowing recirculation, filling, and draining the live well all possible from a flip of a switch. Also running a live well timer, and doing a Y pipe to an aluminum tube in the cooler to allow for live well chilling if desired. Started building the console too. Gonna run a helix 7 with mega imaging flush mounted and networked to two helix 8s on the bow and gonna network into the ultrex. Behind the passenger seat their is a hatch for all the battery switch, fuses, breakers, etc and another for access to batteries.
    Last edited by cooper.bohner; 02-14-2023 at 05:58 PM.

Nice work

2009 ELITE 210

4. Member

Electrical...

Started the wiring today, and dam is it a lot of wires, 200 ft of duplex alone. Running all tinned copper wire and have all the batteries on the one side of the boat which I feel may cause the boat to not sit right in the water but if its a issue gonna switch to lithium. Don't want to take the plunge yet though until I can test run the boat.
    Attached Images Attached Images

5. Member
    I think your on a roll! An alternative to Lithium that the weights are so close is Odyssey Extremes. I bought all mine from BatteryMart. Each time I compare size / service ratings the Extremes are so close it has not been worth the change. Odyssey batteries have been installed in my shop to my customers who would buy them for over 10 years without a single return.

Here is the link to the PC925 specs. I fish all day in tide current with 2 of these and the charger cuts off in 4 hours of recharging.
    https://www.odysseybattery.com/produ...battery-pc925/
    Last edited by rojoguio; 02-16-2023 at 05:37 AM.

6. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by rojoguio View Post
    I think your on a roll! An alternative to Lithium that the weights are so close is Odyssey Extremes. I bought all mine from BatteryMart. Each time I compare size / service ratings the Extremes are so close it has not been worth the change. Odyssey batteries have been installed in my shop to my customers who would buy them for over 10 years without a single return.

Here is the link to the PC925 specs. I fish all day in tide current with 2 of these and the charger cuts off in 4 hours of recharging.
    https://www.odysseybattery.com/produ...battery-pc925/
    Thanks, that's good to know they are defiantly a lot cheaper.

7. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by cooper.bohner View Post
    Thanks, that's good to know they are defiantly a lot cheaper.
    They act like any acid battery Voltage Drop with Decrease in Charge. I run a Ionic Blue Lithium 50AH for just electronics and it runs 3 Plotters all Side Scan units 1-10in and 2 - 9in Garmins, one PS22TR Panoptix transducer, and one digital depth finder. On 115HP and under I installed PC925's for a cranking battery too.

8. Member

Update...

Kept working away over the past couple of days. Got all of the insides of the hatches epoxyed and turfed. All of the electric is ran now still will need to hook up everything to the console but the wires are in place. Got gas shocks on 2 of the hatches so far. Also spent last night cutting up and soldering LED light strips so each hatch has custom sized led strips. Also the bow plywood is epoxyed on the bottom and now permanently siliconed and screwed in place...

9. Member

Lights + update...

After ordering 4 different sets of nav lights finally found some I really love. Tried all of the traditional tear drop and led strips and pucks and found them all to be either cheap looking or just massive on a boat this size. But just got these in today and I love them so far, they are USCG approved and a fraction of the size of all the others and also flush mounting. Ill put the link down below to the lights...

Also just added some pictures of todays progress, finished up the bow wiring and got the foot pedal tray in and started to finish up the cockpit...

LED nav lights https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...t_b_prod_image

10. Member

Update...

Got the rod locker all turfed and the hatch mounted on its piano hinge. And the cockpit is all screwed and epoxyed into place, wires are all ran, and epoxyed in the entire front deck in place! Now the front deck just needs to be prepped and painted. Ended up going with total boat black gelcoat for paint with total boat primer. Still need to do some fiberglass and epoxy work up front and a lot of fearing but super excited the big part is done. Now just need to finish up the rear deck and then onto paint prep. Also gonna do the whole deck and cockpit in orthadek routable decking. Oh yea and lights in all the hatchs...

11. Member
    Looks like you will be fishing in one tenth the time I took...........keep it going.

12. Member

Pictures...

Just some more pics of how the progress is going. Got a first coat of epoxy on the 2/3 of the boat and finished up some more electrical stuff. Also started repairing the massive holes in the cap from the old consoles using closed cell spray foam and fiberglass.

13. Member

Craftsman Tools

Also just a buyers beware...

So far in this project alone we have melted 2 craftsman drills, a craftsman saw zaw, and 2 craftsman shop vacs. Im not saying they are necessarily bad tools because they do preform quite well when they work and are probably great for people that need tools but won't use them too often, but if you plan on working them hard they WILL break. And I've noticed they have shortened their warrantee from life time to two or three months. But they are pretty cheap, so far all of my Milwaukee stuff along with my harbor freight tools are still kicking with no sign of slowing down so figured I would share incase anyone was considering purchasing some.

14. Member

Livewell...

So after our realization that our 14g brute box live well just isn't big enough we decided to have a custom aluminum one made. So proceeded to contact all our local metal shops and not a single one responded. So figured welding aluminum can't be that hard and picked up a welder at harbor freight. Got both a spool gun and tig torch. Made the well out of diamond plate and started testing out the welder. Practiced on some left over .090 and was getting some good beads with the spool gun so went over to the 1/16 plate and blew right through it lowered it as low as it could go and it just wasn't happening. So picked up the tig torch and spent HOURS with zero luck so called up a buddy of mine who came over with the same results when after a couple frustrating passes discovered our tig machine only does DC and we needed AC... great. So back to the spool gun and kept practicing had him attempt to weld up the box and reinforced it with angle iron on the sides and got some decent passes. Made a mistake and didn't reinforce on the bottom. Whole thing warped like crazy and was constantly burning through. After a 10 hour day through in the towel, and the live well in the trash. Went back to Home Depot today and got all new sheet aluminum and angle and just riveted it together and am gonna silicone it like a fishtank with 5200. But after another very long day we have a live well in the boat! Still have to make the hatch and add some support but couldn't be more happy to get that finished. Now we have a 22g capacity so in the long run was still well worth the time...

15. Member
    Too bad that didn't go better:( I've been debating picking up their Vulcan for TIG, just need one more project to justify the purchase - assume you tried with the green one (Titanium)?

16. Member
    Yup titanium 140. I think the 200 model might have AC tig, not sure about the Vulcans but if it does have ac I don't see there being any issues. Only thing is it probably won't have a foot pedal but that's not at all needed. Just apparently a nice feature of the high end models.

17. Member

Gelcoat questions...

Started stripping off the old topside paint and its pretty cool to see the original color. But was wondering on everyones opinion on using gelcoat for below the water line. Im gonna be doing the boat in total boat gelcoat. But am gonna do it in two sections. One above the rub rail and one below. I called total boat the other day (great customer service) and was advised to only prime the spots were epoxy has been used and to just sand to the old gelcoat everywhere else and then apply right over it. But since a majority of the top portion of the boat is covered in epoxy I'm thinking I'll just prime the whole top half unless anyone has any reasons I shouldn't. Im gonna use total boats 2 part epoxy primer and I know epoxy sicks well to polyester which should be what the old gelcoat is from my understanding but wasn't sure if it would be different since its epoxy primer and not straight epoxy.

18. Member

Pictures

Been sanding away the past couple days, not quite ready for primer but getting close!

19. Member
    Bud check with Total Boat tech support for guidance. A phone call may save a blister issue in a few years. I prime with Duratec's VE Primer only if topcoating with Gelcoat, any brand.

20. Member

Paint and primer

Got almost the entire cap and decks primed. Need to go back and fair+re prime a bunch of spots along with sanding but its coming alone nice. Used total boat 2 part epoxy primer which does an amazing job of sticking to stuff. Also prepped and did a little bit of gelcoat on the bow to see how it will set up and to make sure we won't have any curing issues with the epoxy primer. Gave it 2.5 days to cure, sanded, and washed it with water to remove all of the amine blush along with a good cleaning with acetone. So we will see tomorrow how it looks. Also started to get the bilge wrapped up fiberglassing the few remaining old bolt holes and drilling out a old hole for a bigger fitting and installing it along with the power pole pump. Just need to give it all a sand and some paint now.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast