Lake Sara in April

Thinking of trying Lake Sara in April. How is the fishing in April? Anybody have a good place to stay with 4 bedrooms on the water? Thanks for any help in advance.

Rajun Cajun
    Johnson 1995 #J130TLEOP
    S# GO3872031

2. Member
    I feel like Philly should just be our designated fishing consultant. He's got the scoop just about everywhere, but I feel this is another lake Philly knows incredibly well.

3. Member
    I’m 30 minutes from Sara. Lake Sara should be on fire in April. This is just my own personal experience so I’m sure others have different opinions but for ME the best areas in the spring are the areas where there’s still natural banks…..no break walls or anything like that. There’s really not a whole lot of areas like that left but that’s what I try to run around and fish. But also cranking the rip rap is always a good choice as well. If they’re spawning you can also find them around the boat docks. I’m sure there’s many different ways it’s just for me the more natural undeveloped shore line is the most consistent for me.
    Last edited by illinoisbassfishin; 12-10-2022 at 10:23 PM. Reason: Type O correction.

4. Member
    Thanks for the tips guys.
    I was wondering how large lake Sara is and found two different answers. D.N.R. says 614 acres others say 800 acres, that's a big difference. Anybody know how many acres?

Rajun Cajun
    Johnson 1995 #J130TLEOP
    S# GO3872031

Sara is one of my favorite lakes to fish and it has BIG fish. I caught my biggest one day tournament bag in Illinois from Sara in a Federation tournament in June a few years ago with 5 that weighed just under 24 lbs. There will still be a lot of prespawn fish in April and you should have a lot of fun. I know that there are some Air BandB places on the lake and there is also one resort called Anthony Acres and they have some bigger places that might have 4 bedrooms. Hit me up before you go there and I may be able to give you some info on current conditions,

6. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Philly View Post
    Sara is one of my favorite lakes to fish and it has BIG fish. I caught my biggest one day tournament bag in Illinois from Sara in a Federation tournament in June a few years ago with 5 that weighed just under 24 lbs. There will still be a lot of prespawn fish in April and you should have a lot of fun. I know that there are some Air BandB places on the lake and there is also one resort called Anthony Acres and they have some bigger places that might have 4 bedrooms. Hit me up before you go there and I may be able to give you some info on current conditions,
    I’m with you…..there are a lot of big fish and it seems to keep getting better and better every year!!!

7. Member
    Thanks Philly for the offer, Ill send you a PM when we get close to going. I found a 4 bedroom through VRO so we are all set with our on the water front stay. It's only 4 old guys, but we like our own bedrooms.

Rajun Cajun
    Johnson 1995 #J130TLEOP
    S# GO3872031

8. Member
    TT

Rajun Cajun
    Johnson 1995 #J130TLEOP
    S# GO3872031

9. Member
    If you call the marina there, they have decent prices on rooms and also comes with a docking slip do you don't have to pay to get into the gate every time. Sara should be great in April. We often have a 2 day classic there for one of my clubs.

Because of the slot limit, fish have grown very well out there. One classic my buddy put up a 20+pound bag, don't recall exact weight. He had that by 8am. Spent the rest of the day cruising around tormenting us.

Quote Originally Posted by LumberZak View Post
    If you call the marina there, they have decent prices on rooms and also comes with a docking slip do you don't have to pay to get into the gate every time. Sara should be great in April. We often have a 2 day classic there for one of my clubs.

Because of the slot limit, fish have grown very well out there. One classic my buddy put up a 20+pound bag, don't recall exact weight. He had that by 8am. Spent the rest of the day cruising around tormenting us.

I won a Federation tournament on Sara a couple years ago with a 24 lb bag. I had that weight by 7:30 AM and since I didn't have a co-angler, I just Idled around for the rest of the day and iced my fish down every couple hours. I caught those fish off of one tiny hard spot in 23' of water that I found while side-scanning in practice.

11. Illinois Club | PC/Mac Tips & Tweaks Moderator sgt93's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Philly View Post
    I won a Federation tournament on Sara a couple years ago with a 24 lb bag. I had that weight by 7:30 AM and since I didn't have a co-angler, I just Idled around for the rest of the day and iced my fish down every couple hours. I caught those fish off of one tiny hard spot in 23' of water that I found while side-scanning in practice.
    Nice!
    2017 Bass Cat Phelix Honda 25 SOLD
    2007 BCB Cougar FTD Merc Opti 225 SOLD

Instagram: @SSgt93.
    I don't subscribe to threads. PM if you need me.

12. Member
    Okay, well give me the coordinates than!

13. Member
    Hillsboro, MO 63050 & Dripping Springs, TX 78620
    We were thinking about going over on Wednesday. Just to play around.