carbon and 3 in 1

will the carbon unit run the 3 in 1 transducer without a black box?

2. Member
    Yes. That’s what I have on my setup. Works fine.

3. Member
    thanks

the old 3 in 1 yes but not the new ones that are coming out next month you will need the s3100 box for them

5. Member
    Great. I was thinking about putting one on my trolling motor. I currently have the lowrance hdi transducer on the trolling motor. Will the 3 in 1 paint a better picture than the older hdi ? How is the clarity of the side scan when on a trolling motor whine the head is moving? Thanks

6. Scraps
    Yes. That's the stock ducer for a Carbon purchase. Big improvement over LSS2. I'm with yah on the HDI upgrade up front. Have the Carbon w/ 3-n-1 at the console. The HDI picture looks like a TV from the 80s compared to the Carbon images.
    2017 Phoenix 819
    2016 200ProXS, s/n 2B359849, Mod 1200P73BD

7. Member
    Carbon required a software update to work with AI. Can’t remember when but I think it was around the time Lives came out. Just make sure you are updated and it will work fine. 2D will be no different. Down and Sidescan are significantly improved with the AI vs previous transducers. Sidescan works great if you can keep the boat moving at the correct speed in a straight line. If you turn, the image will blur as the transducer rotates.

NoCAL
    2004TR-21X/2015 250 ProXS
    2B112175

8. Member
    thanks !!

9. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by z520brewer View Post
    Great. I was thinking about putting one on my trolling motor. I currently have the lowrance hdi transducer on the trolling motor. Will the 3 in 1 paint a better picture than the older hdi ? How is the clarity of the side scan when on a trolling motor whine the head is moving? Thanks
    The 3 in 1 nose one is the way to go. I do not use the side scan because you have to keep a good steady speed for the best image.
    2019 Nitro Z20
    250 ProXS

10. Member
    The AI 3-in-1 was not an improvement in DownScan over HDI. AI DownScan is fixed 600 kHz. HDI’s have 455 or 800 kHz options and much better DownScan. Lots of complaints out there on AI DownScan.
    It was to the point where I was going to mount an HDI Skimmer just to get decent DownScan again.

AI ducers were a massive improvement in SideScan over the TotalScan and LSS ducers. 2D is the same. DownScan was a downgrade though.

11. Member
    glennie thanks for that thought

I'm having difficulty finding the right transduer in the choices when selecting a duper in carbon sonars list, would it be high and low chip ?

Quote Originally Posted by NoCAL View Post
    Carbon required a software update to work with AI. Can’t remember when but I think it was around the time Lives came out. Just make sure you are updated and it will work fine. 2D will be no different. Down and Sidescan are significantly improved with the AI vs previous transducers. Sidescan works great if you can keep the boat moving at the correct speed in a straight line. If you turn, the image will blur as the transducer rotates.

NoCAL

13. Member
    Are you asking about 3in1? You don’t need to select it. Connect it directly to the black Structure port and it will be auto recognized. Make sure on the Sonar Settings menu, Multisource and Channel 2 are both on.

NoCAL
    2B112175

NoCal ,
    no black box in these active image 3/1 they plug right into the sonar unit.

15. Member
    That what I’m saying. Plug it into the black Structure port and it will be auto recognized. It’s called XID. The transducer is recognized automatically. But you do have to hav Channel 2 active or the 2D part will not work.

NoCAL
    2B112175

16. Member
    South of Baton Rouge but North of Plaquemine, LA
    Quote Originally Posted by DaveH View Post
    NoCal ,
    no black box in these active image 3/1 they plug right into the sonar unit.
    Nocal is referring to the “black” structure sonar port on the back of the Carbon unit itself. Their are two black ports. One is for Structure transducer , the other for 2D sonar transducer.

17. Member
    [QUOTE=glennie;12784099]The AI 3-in-1 was not an improvement in DownScan over HDI. AI DownScan is fixed 600 kHz. HDI’s have 455 or 800 kHz options and much better DownScan. Lots of complaints out there on AI DownScan.
    It was to the point where I was going to mount an HDI Skimmer just to get decent DownScan again.

AI ducers were a massive improvement in SideScan over the TotalScan and LSS ducers. 2D is the same. DownScan was a downgrade though.

On my A1 3 in 1 I have 455-800 kHz options on DI and side scan. Mines not fixed at 600 kHz.

18. Member
    Yours is fixed at 600 kHz DownScan too, all AI ducers are. That has been confirmed with independent oscilloscope measurements. 455 and 800 kHz elements are for SideScan only. A software update early on took away the option to select 455 or 800 kHz with DownScan. If you do a software update, that option will disappear.