225 pro xs will run wide open but not idle

2005 Mercury 225 Pro XS s#1B190084

hey guys, out fishing the other day… motor ran great for most of the day. Made a move and as I was coming off of pad, the motor stalled and died on me. It would crank but not start and idle. I finally got it to start by giving it some throttle. It took me several tries to throttle enough to run, but get it down low enough to get it in gear without dying. Once in gear, it took off like nothing was wrong and I went straight to the ramp. Once again it died when I throttled down to come off of pad. Once again it would not start and idle. Loaded up with the trolling motor and headed to the house. Where do I need to start to diagnose? Thanks in advance.

Visual inspection under cowl for fuel and water leaks, inspect wiring and connectors, check drive belt and tensioner spring
    Check all throttle linkage and idle stops
    Scan computer history and faults
    Check fuel and air pressures as well as leak down rate (suspect this area is where the problem lies)
    Thank You Leon Pugh

3. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    ^^^ Spot on advice.

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

4. Member
    Update… took in to the shop. No codes showed up. Mechanic replaced the tracker valve. He says the fuel pressure regulator is good, air pressure regulator is good. He is still getting fuel on the air side of the rail, so Mercury told him it was a bad air injector. Does this sound right to y’all?

I would be looking for another tech. He should have performed a fuel leak down test 5,10 and 15 seconds, sounds like he just assumed it was a tracker valve. Fuel in the air side, if all diaphragms are good, I would be checking fuel injector o-rings first, doubt the air injector is the problem as it has no direct path to the fuel side unless it sticks closed.
    I would very much like to see a video of the leak down test.
    Last edited by lpugh; 01-27-2023 at 12:41 PM.
    Thank You Leon Pugh

6. Member
    He did order and replace all orings before the injector came up

7. Member
    i agree somewhat with above info a fuel /air psi test definitely needs to be done correctly, a stuck or sticky non operating direct injector can induce some fuel into the air side of system ( unplug one and run it) , without results of fuel air test would be hard to say is or not air injector definitely the problem here ,remember if rails were disasembled with fuel present some fuel may have gotten into air side may take some run timer to dissipate, doesnt sound like it to me either LEON
    .................................................. ...the scariest thing in life is the unknown ...................................

8. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    "Any air leak will result in FUEL in the AIR side of the system" (<--- Cardinal Rule of Optimax Fuel System).

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

9. Member
    Fuel rail diaphragm?
    Rad Brewer

10. Member
    ^^^^^^ mabe , mabe not
    .................................................. ...the scariest thing in life is the unknown ...................................