Thread: Moving to TN

Moving to TN

Good afternoon folks. The wife and I are looking to relocate to Tennessee. We want lakefront living and obviously great fishing. Love both SM and LM. I have been down there a few times but looking for advice from the experts. Norris lake is one that we are definitely going to check out. Are there others in the area that are worth seeing? Looking for cleaner type lakes and ideally multi species. Nice area to live and availability of lots or houses on the water. We may be from the north, but we are southerners at heart. Don't worry about us being commie a holes, we are not. We have a Champ 198 and love to fish and just be on the lake as much as possible.

Always appreciate the kind folks on here who share their knowledge.

Thanks.

2. Moderator
    Come on down. Most of the lakes are clean and clearish as long as you stay away from the rivers. Norris is beautiful. Are you wanting to stay in the east TN area? Do you need to be close to the Nashville airport or does it matter? Like everywhere, lake lots/house are in short supply and fetch a premium. Also some of the lakes are Corp controlled and you cannot build directly on the waterfront. You would have to do a search to see which ones are as I am not totally sure. East TN is definitely the most attractive area of the state. Good luck in your search.

3. Member
    I've heard Norris is beautiful, but have not been on the lake before. If you're open to some other areas of Tn, Tim's Ford lake would be a great option as well. It has the multi species that you seek, and is a beautiful lake as well. Lots of lake front properties, but definitely can be expensive. Watts Bar is another option in between east and middle Tn.
    '99 Cobra 201D
    Merc 250 Pro Xs 4 stroke

You need to be aware of the winter drawdowns. Starting in September/ October, most of the Tennessee lakes will “draw down” to winter pool levels. On some lakes, like Ft. Loudon where I fish, the draw down is about 3 feet. Douglas Lake draws down like 30 feet. Your lakefront lot is a mudfront lot 4 or 5 months of the year.

When you see a cheap lakefront lot, it’s probably mud in the winter, or drops off like a cliff to the water. For me, I’d say expect to pay a lot or manage expectations. As long as you know your dock may be unusable for part of the year, I have no problem with it. Heck, you are in New Hampshire so you’ve got hard water for months anyway.

5. Humminbird Moderator SLYDoggie's Avatar
    If you want a lakefront lot or home with a personal dock, you need to do your research. Many of the lakes in TN are Corps of Engineers lakes and don't allow personal peraonal docks. Some, like Tims Ford for example, are TVA lakes and do allow personal docks. Although personal docks have been allowed in the past on Tims Ford, all of the recent developments are community docks.

Center Hill and Dale Hollow are very clean, deep, and beautiful but personal docks aren't allowed... only community docks.

TN has lots of great lakes but it can get confusing. You are doing the right thing by asking for input.
    ---> Regards, Steve Yarbrough (AKA: SLYDoggieTN on YouTube)
    • Apex 19/16/13, Mega 360, and Mega Live
    • Minn Kota Ulterra Quest Trolling Motor
    • (2) Cannon Optimum Bluetooth Downriggers
    • Impulse Lithium Batteries... 36V 60AH for Trolling Motor, (2) 12V 120AH for Cranking & Electronics, 12V 60AH for Downriggers

6. Member
    Before I decided on an area I'd check the twra.com website. Some big changes proposed for Douglas Lake. This are is a great place to live but these new regulations might change that. Fluctuates 40 ft every year.
    We are all born ignorant but one must work really hard to remain stupid---Ben Franklin

7. Member
    Thanks Yall for the quick responses and advice. Much appreciated.

8. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by NHchamp View Post
    Thanks Yall for the quick responses and advice. Much appreciated.
    We moved down here in 2020 from Windham NH. We're in the Nashville area.. my only advice is don't move in this area, it's growing too fast and the lakes around here get TONS of fishing pressure. Haven't fished Norris yet, but definitely out in that area would be better. I don't know about you, but I've had to re-learn my fishing style. Very different down here than the natural lakes I was used t up there.

9. Member
    Norris, Cherokee, Douglas, Boone, South Holston and Watagua are all flood control/water storage TVA lakes that fluctuate 20'-40' from summer to winter pool level. If you own lakefront and have a winch-cable adjusted dock, you will be a slave to it in the spring and fall. The fishing is pretty much great year-round. If you are used to fishing lakes with vegetation, there will be a bit of a learning curve with water level changes. Color shading and water level offset is a must on your console GPS.

10. Member
    Other tools to consider, IMO, are Google Earth and and the Navionics web application. You can get images and info of the area(s) you may be considering during high and low water time frames. The info 'fish365' provided is spot on as well. Lots of good fishing in the area. I wouldn't limit my search to the Norris area. Best of luck to you all.

11. Member
    I would look in southern tn around tims ford as someone said. sadly the northern TN lakes are pretty much overrun these days thanks to bookface and the overwhelming number of people moving to the southeast. Summertime is the absolute worst as the pleasure boat traffic from out of staters seems to get worse every year!
    "Luminous beings are we not this crude matter." Yoda

12. Member
    One of the lots we were going to look at is in Spring Hill. I would love to talk to you about it. Ill send you a dm. Thanks