BASS Nation Qualifying Format Change

I may have missed it but I have not seen a thread yet about the changes to the BASS Nation tournament format. I have gotten a brief overview but it looks like they are adding a lot of slots to the National Championship. If I understand it correctly the state representatives at the Divisional level will now be based on the number of members in the state, which will increase the field. Additionally, it sounds like they are adding a series of "Open" tournaments for guys to qualify from which will add even more boats to the National Championship field. The current BASS members can correct me if my information is wrong. I would also be interested to know how the BASS members feel about the changes?

The NC will have 250 boats. You have it right, that a certain number of anglers will qualify straight from their respective state. That number is based off the membership of the state's BASS Nation.

The 4 Regionals will also be 250 boats. A state's BASS Nation will be able to send up to 20 anglers to the regionals. The rest of the spots are open to BASS Nation members. Not real clear if they have to belong to a state BASS Nation or can just pay the BASS Nation dues to BASS and get in.

FOr me it is a disappointment that the NC will no longer be a smaller tournament base off the Classic model. It was a real honor to get there, but with this change it will water down the tournament a lot.

There will still be three classic spots for the top three finishers.

They have not decided about the co-anglers as of yet. Before the co still had a shot at getting to the classic.

3. dartag1829
    Is there a link to the information you provided. Thanks for posting

4. Member
    I think on some level you can buy your way in. 250 boats in the National Championship ? if that is true then the red carpet will not get rolled out for those guys like it was this year.
    GETFISHED !!!

5. Fishing is a Passion
    It was an honor to be a part of the state team. That has now been taken away.
    2002 Pro Craft 200 Super Pro- 2005 200 Mercury Optimax, Retired
    Empty Nester- Proud Grandfather 5-30-2014-Boy-Aiden, 8-2-2017-Boy-Calen

6. Member
    So is it now like the TBF where you can just buy into the regional? I’m my opinion and many other guys from WV the buy in has really hurt the TBF in our state. Guys just buy Into the regional now.

7. Member
    I can’t say I blame BASS since they are a business focused on making a profit BUT the changes are disappointing from my perspective. I’ve been actively involved in the Nation for the past decade with several regionals and a national championship under my belt as a boater. You really had to earn your way under the existing format and as previously mentioned it was an honor to qualify for the regionals and nationals. The WORST part of the changes is the field size of 250. That size field has an enormous impact on the fishery and to take a week off work to travel to one of these events with that field size just doesn’t sound fun. There is a reason why the elite and classic fields are smaller. They really like to stick it to the average Joe. Complete money grab on their part.
    BassCat Cougar FTD / Mercury 250 ProXS
    Lowrance / Garmin

8. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by WVTundra View Post
    So is it now like the TBF where you can just buy into the regional? I’m my opinion and many other guys from WV the buy in has really hurt the TBF in our state. Guys just buy Into the regional now.
    Don't know how WV runs there program but the only way you could "buy in" to the National Semi-Final in most states would be pretty expensive ($1,000 approx). I don't think the TBF national format was really set up that way but some guys have figured it out. Not saying I'm a fan of the changes the TBF made a few years ago but the BASS changes are a step beyond it sounds like. Both seem to be efforts to make money off of the grassroots tournament guys instead of breaking even with a goal of creating a feeder system to the pro ranks. I know sponsorship money has been drying up for years so that may have pushed it along.

9. Member
    So I fished our qualifier this week and also am confused on how many go to regional and how many skip regional and go straight to national, I looked at another state and they had two lines drawn on their points list, one line was drawn at top 4 and another line was drawn at 15th

hoe does each state determine how many to send now?

We are sending 5 boater/co straight the the NC and we have 20 spots boater/co for the regional. At least I think that is how it is. As far as I know, they have not announced where any of them will be yet.

I've fished the TBF since the split but always missed the state team and divisional/regional format. It definitely meant something to be on the state team and it really is too bad that they are going this route.
    2021 Ranger Z519 Mercury 225 Pro XS Four Stroke

12. Member
    To be honest I am glad to see the change. The "club" deal does not fit everyone's style. And I think your going to see a lot of College guys jump into the the "open style format" as they have been fishing the 4 open style to get in the natty for years...most since High School. My son is excited to see the format be released. He's a 6 time BASS Natty qualifier (HS and College) and a 4 time FLW Natty Qualifier. With 5 top 10's and 3 top 4's. Him and some of his college buddies who graduated together are already talking travel plans etc..change is inevitable.

13. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by jbassman87 View Post
    We are sending 5 boater/co straight the the NC and we have 20 spots boater/co for the regional. At least I think that is how it is. As far as I know, they have not announced where any of them will be yet.
    How does each state determine these numbers

Quote Originally Posted by Sam378 View Post
    How does each state determine these numbers
    The numbers come from BASS based on membership for the ones being sent straight the the NC. Every state should have the 20 spots for the regional.

The guys buying their way in to the Regional tournaments will need to join their state's Nation, BASS hopes this will also increase your membership numbers. Your state allowance for directly qualifying for the National Championship is related to overall state membership numbers, in Montana, with 81 members we get one spot, Idaho is around 140 for membership and will get 3 spots automatically at the National Championship. The rest of your 20 man state team will get a code for priority entry to a Regional tournament. The top 20 boaters/Cos at each Regional go to the National Championship. A state member (not a state team qualifier) can enter any Regional, make the top 20, getting to Nationals that way. I'm the Montana Nation state president and that's the way it's been explained to me.

16. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by mike464 View Post
    The guys buying their way in to the Regional tournaments will need to join their state's Nation, BASS hopes this will also increase your membership numbers. Your state allowance for directly qualifying for the National Championship is related to overall state membership numbers, in Montana, with 81 members we get one spot, Idaho is around 140 for membership and will get 3 spots automatically at the National Championship. The rest of your 20 man state team will get a code for priority entry to a Regional tournament. The top 20 boaters/Cos at each Regional go to the National Championship. A state member (not a state team qualifier) can enter any Regional, make the top 20, getting to Nationals that way. I'm the Montana Nation state president and that's the way it's been explained to me.
    So state teams are 20 boaters and 20 co anglers now for each regional?

17. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by shooter66 View Post
    To be honest I am glad to see the change. The "club" deal does not fit everyone's style. And I think your going to see a lot of College guys jump into the the "open style format" as they have been fishing the 4 open style to get in the natty for years...most since High School. My son is excited to see the format be released. He's a 6 time BASS Natty qualifier (HS and College) and a 4 time FLW Natty Qualifier. With 5 top 10's and 3 top 4's. Him and some of his college buddies who graduated together are already talking travel plans etc..change is inevitable.

I was president of a Federation club for 5 years. The lack of members wanting to be involved at the state level caused the club to go unafiliated. For the members that still wanted to fish the state trail the state had a paper club that you could join to become a BASS member and be eligible to fish the state trail as well as the 2 day. There are guys locally that cherry pick states with low membership to fish the state championship and get a seat to the regionals.

I agree with your account that it cuts out the middle man which a lot of people have no interest in. In that regard you have to deal with being a member of a club and having to maintain good standing to fish the Federation trail. Pay to play and open the doors wide to expand the national brand. The good ole boys days of clubs are dwindling.

Quote Originally Posted by Sam378 View Post
    So state teams are 20 boaters and 20 co anglers now for each regional?
    No, it's still a total of twenty for the State Team, 10 and 10. The top 20 boaters and Co's at the Regional qualifier (20 boats) go to Nationals on an individual basis, not tied to any state.

19. Member
    I like the change. Being able to bypass the regional tournament and qualify straight to the nationals by doing well in the state tournaments makes me far more likely to fish it.
    2020 Nitro Z20 Pro Package