Thread: Ford or Chevy?

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
  1. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by ECobb91 View Post
    Personal preference. If it was only between those 2, then Chevy. All brands have their issues. Based on my and my families experiences alone, both are a crap...
    Fixed it for you ;)

For the OP every brand will have its issues and every brand will and does put out a lemon every once in a while. With all the electronics there is a lot that can go wrong and its expensive and difficult to fix when it does. Buy the one you like the drive the best, enjoy it for a while and when it starts to give you grief, dump it and repeat the cycle.

As far as the 2.7l engines go. I would not turn one down. Plenty of power and in the case of the GM its got more power than the 5.3l v8 does. A buddy of mine got a Silverado with the 2.7 this year and he says towing his 20' boat it is significantly better than the 5.3l he had before it. I also know 6 guys that own 2.7l fords and every one of them has said they would buy another. A couple of them are high milage too, like over 200k high milage. One guy is a carpenter and works his truck every day, no major issues in over 230k. Not sure why it does not "feel" like a truck. They make better torque down low than a lot of the modern v8's and are plenty capable of doing truck things.
    Last edited by jb882; 12-16-2022 at 09:44 PM.

2. Member
    I have the 2.7 turbo in a 22 Silverado. I drive it easy. I will say it has a ton of power and I average 19 to 22 mpg. ONCE I hook the boat, it still has great power BUT I’m lucky to get 10 mpg. I’m pulling a 21 Nitro Z20 fully loaded for a tournament. Again I will state that I drive easy. But looking back, I will never purchase that engine as long as I plan on pulling a boat as I cannot afford paying for the additional fuel.
    Just my.02

3. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by JimmyDings View Post
    I have the 2.7 turbo in a 22 Silverado. I drive it easy. I will say it has a ton of power and I average 19 to 22 mpg. ONCE I hook the boat, it still has great power BUT I’m lucky to get 10 mpg. I’m pulling a 21 Nitro Z20 fully loaded for a tournament. Again I will state that I drive easy. But looking back, I will never purchase that engine as long as I plan on pulling a boat as I cannot afford paying for the additional fuel.
    Just my.02
    So 80% of the time its fine and 20% its not. That does not sound too bad to me. Could be worse like the 5.7 in my RAM thats just bad all the time.

4. Member
    I don’t get some of these mpg issues. Like Jimmydings as an example. So probably like a 75k truck pulling a 75k boat and worried about towing mpg? I mean I get wanting to get good mpg, but you could just buy a truck that costs 10k less or a used one and then came out much further ahead. Kind of an empty complaint imo.

5. Member
    Buy a Ford Lightning 150 and a long extension cord.

6. Member
    After a half dozen Ford's over the past 17 years my wife surprised me with a 2023 GMC AT4X Friday as an early Christmas present. Only put 80 miles on it so far and haven't towed with it yet but I must say, change is nice.
    Last edited by ThomasD; 12-21-2022 at 09:29 PM.

7. Member
    5.0 if Ford, 6.2 if Chevy also get the Z71 or else you don't get a transfer case with low range which is insane.

8. Member

9. Member
    Tundra

10. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by 99R93S View Post
    I don’t get some of these mpg issues. Like Jimmydings as an example. So probably like a 75k truck pulling a 75k boat and worried about towing mpg? I mean I get wanting to get good mpg, but you could just buy a truck that costs 10k less or a used one and then came out much further ahead. Kind of an empty complaint imo.
    I think to understand this way of thinking we would have to throw common sense out the window! I am not willing to give up on that just yet. Cj
    2002 X19 200HP OX66 HO Vmax,HPDI lower, it lives, thanks Hydro Tec.

11. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by CJ1 View Post
    I think to understand this way of thinking we would have to throw common sense out the window! I am not willing to give up on that just yet. Cj

12. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by jb882 View Post
    So 80% of the time it’s fine and 20% it’s not. That does not sound too bad to me. Could be worse like the 5.7 in my RAM thats just bad all the time.
    What year is your 5.7?

13. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by ColbyKiller View Post
    What year is your 5.7?
    2019. My truck is a 4wd limited package so its heavy and has the 3.92 gears in it so its thirsty too. Gets 18ish freeway and 13 city. Towing my little 10' box trailer is gets 9 since that thing is an aero nightmare, a boat i get 14ish freeway. I didnt buy it for the fuel economy and would not trade it for something better at this point. When i bought it i wanted a well appointed, comfortable tow mule and this is it for sure, it tows fantastic and is a very comfortable place to eat up the miles. FWIW my lifetime average at 55k miles is 14.5 according to the confuser.....
    Last edited by jb882; 01-10-2023 at 05:25 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Bullet[BS] View Post
    It doesn't matter which one you pick really, unless you get one with a Allison Transmission (Chevy).
    2020 and newer HD gm trucks don’t have an Allison. It’s a gm built 10 speed that they slap an Allison badge on. Got to go 4500 or bigger to get the real Allison. So, no thanks…

2012 Ranger z521
    Mercury 250 Pro XS

15. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by JACQUART21 View Post
    2020 and newer HD gm trucks don’t have an Allison. It’s a gm built 10 speed that they slap an Allison badge on. Got to go 4500 or bigger to get the real Allison. So, no thanks…
    Did some reading after seeing your post. Yeah I'm glad I have a 17 Duramax with my 6 speed Allison.

16. Member
    I took a Chevy Trail Boss custom, 4 cylider 2.7 turbo for a test dive. It does have plenty of power! I'm not used to the idea of a 4 cylinder full size pickup... I was told in the pass that you need an 8 cylinder big engine to tow a boat on long drives.

I can see this vehicle handling all the short drives and daily commutes. How much strain will it have on a long drive? I don't know... People I know keep saying Tundra, and forget everything else. Ram owners that I know say HEMI all the way...

Time to go to a car show...

17. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Pierre View Post
    I took a Chevy Trail Boss custom, 4 cylider 2.7 turbo for a test dive. It does have plenty of power! I'm not used to the idea of a 4 cylinder full size pickup... I was told in the pass that you need an 8 cylinder big engine to tow a boat on long drives.

I can see this vehicle handling all the short drives and daily commutes. How much strain will it have on a long drive? I don't know... People I know keep saying Tundra, and forget everything else. Ram owners that I know say HEMI all the way...

Time to go to a car show...
    I personally think the " you have to have a v8 to tow" thing is a very antiquated way of thinking. Technology has advanced anough to make a v8 engine kind of obsolete. For has proven that with the ecoboost lineup, the 3.5 has been a pretty proven tow engine for what a decade now? .

The bottom line is the v8's days are numbered....

18. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by jb882 View Post
    2019. My truck is a 4wd limited package so it’s heavy and has the 3.92 gears in it so it’s thirsty too. Gets 18ish freeway and 13 city. Towing my little 10' box trailer is gets 9 since that thing is an aero nightmare, a boat i get 14ish freeway. I didnt buy it for the fuel economy and would not trade it for something better at this point. When i bought it i wanted a well appointed, comfortable tow mule and this is it for sure, it tows fantastic and is a very comfortable place to eat up the miles. FWIW my lifetime average at 55k miles is 14.5 according to the confuser.....
    That’s why I asked. If you’re getting around 14 with a boat, you’re doing something. That’s not bad fuel mileage at all. Don’t get me wrong I don’t like filling up mine which is essentially the same truck but I’ve got all three brands with gas and diesel versions and by no means is the 5.7 more thirsty than any others I use, even including my partner’s 2017 Chevy. There’s no comparison when it comes to ride with the ram either having the rear coils. I know people still hate on the brand but it’s NOTHING like it used to be. Only thing I’d trade is my 3.21 gears. I’d love to have the 3.92 because I went with a little bigger wheel/tire setup. As for everybody reading, get what you want and can afford. It all comes out in the end. You don’t save enough money no matter how you figure fuel unless you get a jewel.

Wish we were closer, I’d pay good money to swap somebody my 3.21’s for their 3.92’s!

19. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by ColbyKiller View Post
    That’s why I asked. If you’re getting around 14 with a boat, you’re doing something. That’s not bad fuel mileage at all. Don’t get me wrong I don’t like filling up mine which is essentially the same truck but I’ve got all three brands with gas and diesel versions and by no means is the 5.7 more thirsty than any others I use, even including my partner’s 2017 Chevy. There’s no comparison when it comes to ride with the ram either having the rear coils. I know people still hate on the brand but it’s NOTHING like it used to be. Only thing I’d trade is my 3.21 gears. I’d love to have the 3.92 because I went with a little bigger wheel/tire setup. As for everybody reading, get what you want and can afford. It all comes out in the end. You don’t save enough money no matter how you figure fuel unless you get a jewel.

Wish we were closer, I’d pay good money to swap somebody my 3.21’s for their 3.92’s!

When it comes to good/bad milage there is some perspective involved as well as a LOT of variables. Perspective for me is comparing to my last 3 GM trucks, all crew cab 4wd, one 6.2, 8 speed w 3.42's, one 6.2, 6 speed w 3.73's and one 6.0 4 speed w 3.73's. All three of those trucks got in the 16 range towing the same boat so for me a 2mpg loss i see as not so great but like i said the mileage is not really a factor. Just perspective compared to other trucks i have owned.

The load itself is also a factor, my boat is a 18' on a single axle, not a 21' on a tandem so a lot less weight. I also have not modified the truck in any way like lots of folks like to do, tires are stock size and highway tires, no exhaust, tune etc, its 100% the way it came from the factory. I also drive the speed limit w cruise on all the time on the freeway with boat in tow. All those things can and do make a difference. I know for a fact if i kicked the speed up the milage would drop sharply, if i slow down, it goes up.

I totally agree on the ride, mine has the air ride so i don't have any experience w the coils but i will say mine rides like its on a cloud. The air ride is one of the reasons this truck is such a good tow mule.

20. Member
    That’s amazing. I don’t think I’ve ever heard of a 6.0 to get 16 mpg going down hill with a tailwind empty let alone towing. Great motor but never known one to get above 12 empty. You got a gem for sure.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast