Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast

My first open carry weapon?

My wife and I spend a lot of time hiking and fishing in the many nature preserves that are near our home here in Florida. Florida permits open carry while engaged in hunting, fishing, and target practice activities so may need a "Popeil Pocket Fisherman" to go with it . I qualified with a .45 caliber 1911 model (?) 50 years ago in the Army and have not owned or fired a handgun since. I find myself a little scared to carry a Glock type weapon locked and loaded for my first because of the trigger safety and am leaning towards a holstered revolver in double action .38 Special caliber that is +P capable. My neighbor has access to a range where I can practice.

I have done a little research and think that, since it is an holstered open carry gun, something with a barrel longer than a snub nose may be in order. Cost is not a real factor, but saving a little money is always a good thing. If I ever take a concealed class, I would probably purchase a another smaller gun.

I know the revolver versus "automatic" is a controversial topic with enthusiasts, so am willing to listen.

Hammer or hammerless?

Does anyone out there have any suggestions for a revolver?

2. Member
    44 magnum, Smith and Wesson, 6" barrel.

3. Member
    Ruger GP100

I'm an auto guy over revolver. For the most part, good quality auto reloaders are just as reliable as revolvers are for the most part now. Look at what the people who depend on their guns carry. Police, military, all the government agencies etc. They aren't carrying revolvers anymore and they work just fine. One advantage of the revolver that I can think of that you kind of brought up is the fact that you could leave one of the chambers empty and keep the hammer on that as an extra safety, but then you lose capacity. I like my Springfield XD's, they just fit me better than a Glock or some of the others, but they don't have a normal safety either, just a grip and trigger safety.
    How big of a gun are you looking for? Full size or something you could potentially conceal if wanted?

5. Member
    Just a FYI in case you did not know. They make a trigger safety for the Glocks that is very user friendly and actually works, Siderlock is one of them. And as you know a Glock will eat just about any ammo. I don't know how many rounds I have ran without a FTF with standard and +p ammo. CJ
    2002 X19 200HP OX66 HO Vmax,HPDI lower, it lives, thanks Hydro Tec.

Glock's (and many others) have been in use for so long now, they are definitely tried and tested. Can't say that I've ever heard of one firing unintentionally. And any good holster is going to offer trigger protection while carrying.

I would suggest going to a shop where you can try/rent several and just see what feels right to you. Even if you can't shoot them, feeling the various pistols in your hands is a good starting point. I personally like the Glock's, but some don't like the angle of the grip.
    '05 Stratos 200 ProXL, '05 Evinrude 225HO

7. Member
    Recommend you go to a shooting range & rent several different guns you are interested in & shoot them. Then you will end up with something YOU like . Cheaper & easier than buying one & selling & repeating untill you get something you really like.

8. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Fishshooter View Post
    Recommend you go to a shooting range & rent several different guns you are interested in & shoot them. Then you will end up with something YOU like . Cheaper & easier than buying one & selling & repeating untill you get something you really like.
    This ^^^. I carry every day. Have different weapons for different attire. Go shoot everything you are considering BEFORE you buy. What works for one person can be uncomfortable or inaccurate for another. If you are going to carry something that your life could depend on, make sure you carry what works best for you.
    '17 Nitro Z21, 250ProXS serial # 2B399616, 24p Fury4, 12" Atlas, Apex 16 @ console, Apex 16 & Apex 13 @ bow, Mega 360, Ultrex, 8ft blades

Wayne Purdum
    Charlottesville, Va.
    Helix 12 CHIRP MEGA+ SI G3N/G4N, Helix 15 CHIRP MEGA SI+ GPS G4N
    SOLIX 12 SI/G3, Helix 8 CHIRP MEGA SI+ G4N, Ultrex 80/LINK, MEGA360,
    MEGA LIVE, LIVE TL

10. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by TXZ21 View Post
    This ^^^. I carry every day. Have different weapons for different attire. Go shoot everything you are considering BEFORE you buy. What works for one person can be uncomfortable or inaccurate for another. If you are going to carry something that your life could depend on, make sure you carry what works best for you.
    This also. I am an equal opportunity trigger squeezer & carry anything from a small pocket pistol to a 6" 10 mm 1911 depending on where I go & how I dress & YES, I train with them all. Only ones I don't like or carry are anything with a long, heavy trigger pull.

11. Expert at Retired RangrSkipr's Avatar
    What are you protecting yourself from? Potential attack from another individual or is it dangerous wildlife? What kind of conditions is it subject to when hiking...I mean fishing? Is there a chance of falling in the muck with it? The Ruger GP100 in .38 that someone mentioned with a heavy leather holster would make a safe and reliable choice for open carry. You could even carry rat shot for snakes if thats on the menu for the day. Keep the semi autos for CC.

Very good advice to go shoot several and find what fits YOU and YOUR needs/desires the best. I have, and carry, both autos and revolvers. Currently carry a Walther PDP with a red dot most of the time now, but also still carry my Ruger SP101 from time to time, as well as a couple 1911s. For a revolver, my preference is the SP101 or GP100 in .357. Very reliable and fit me very well. But, find what YOU like and are most comfortable with.

13. Expert at Retired RangrSkipr's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Mizzou211 View Post
    Very good advice to go shoot several and find what fits YOU and YOUR needs/desires the best. I have, and carry, both autos and revolvers. Currently carry a Walther PDP with a red dot most of the time now, but also still carry my Ruger SP101 from time to time, as well as a couple 1911s. For a revolver, my preference is the SP101 or GP100 in .357. Very reliable and fit me very well. But, find what YOU like and are most comfortable with.
    I owned a hammerless SP101 in .357 for awhile. That thing was a painful beast to shoot. Sold it. .. .

14. Member
    I own a sp101 in 327 (ammo currently hard to get). I like that round in the smaller gun. Much less recoil and ballistics are almost on par with a .357. I also own a s&w 686+ talo 3 inch 7 round, that handles that round much better. If buying an auto loader try a browning hi-power. That gun just shoots where you point. In 9mm there is very little recoil. Also available in .40 s&w round and recoils is nowhere near what it is in a glock. But a heavier gun.
    To go straight to a .357 I feel is a mistake if you haven't shot much. You develop a lot of bad habits do to recoil and percussion. But if you do start with .38 specials and move up from there.
    .357 ammo is hard to come by right now. 9mm seems in abundance and is most popular.

15. Member
    My Daughter is a State Probation Officer and my son inlaw is a Highway Patrol. Both of them are required to carry Glocks by the State so they have to be safe to carry. My daughter carries a mid sized 40 S&W and the recoil isn't bad at all. MY wife has a Ruger SP101 in .38 Special and it's a nice easy to use revolver. I have a Smith & Wesson Shield M&P and it has a safety on it.

16. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by swamprat View Post
    Ruger GP100
    The 3" barrel on this gun handles the recoil very well even from full house 357 mag loads. It is a tank though and weighs in pretty hefty. There are a couple double action 45 ACP 1911's out there which may do the trick. Another option would be the Beretta 92.

Smith & Wesson Air Light 642 .38 Special +P with Crimson Grips. Hammer less. Not fun to shoot, but gets the job done. First round is Rat Shot because the bad operator does not wear safety glasses!

I got it because of ease of operation. Ain't going to use +P as I don't practice with +P.
    2019 RT 198P
    2018 Mercury Pro XS 150 HP 4 Stroke #2B610068
    Twin 12' BT Talons
    4" Atlas Jack Plate
    Riptide Instinct Quest

Quote Originally Posted by Rangerdeepv View Post
    The 3" barrel on this gun handles the recoil very well even from full house 357 mag loads. It is a tank though and weighs in pretty hefty. There are a couple double action 45 ACP 1911's out there which may do the trick. Another option would be the Beretta 92.
    I have a Colt double eagle in .45. It’s a sweet pistol for sure. For some reason they didn’t sell well and were discontinued. Just make mine worth more. I also have an 8”stainless Colt Anaconda Anaconda that has more than tripled in value since I bought it new. It’s a handful in 44 mag but very pleasant in 44 special. I can remember the make, but someone builds a snub nose 44 special that would make a great open carry
    There’s no use being stupid if you’re not willing to show it off.

19. Member
    I personally carry a Glock 43x before that a Smith and Wesson Bodyguard .38 revolver. The Smith and Wesson carried very well in your front pocket as long as it was a deep pocket. Carried great in jeans with a pocket holster but the Glock carry’s well too. I just prefer the Glock.

20. Banned
    460 beats the 500

Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast