Mercury 4 Stroke Lower Unit?

Does anyone know of a group that is rebuilding the new Merc 4 stoke lower units? I knocked my skeg almost completely off when I met a log running 70. My insurance co only wants to replace the housing but my Merc technician and Mercury doesn’t not recommend that. Am I just better off purchasing a new one?

Any insight would be great. Thanks
    Last edited by 1fejj; 12-09-2022 at 05:44 AM.

If you have really good insurance, you should not have a problem getting a brand new lower unit.

3. Member
    I have Progressive. My boat is at a very reputable shop in Denver, NC. What I’ve got is a horrible adjuster who told the mercury technician “he’s got to do what best for the insurance Co”. So he’s clearly not willing so do what’s best for the customer.

4. Member
    call flo and complain--she will get it corrected quickly
    2022 z519 cup 225 merc 4s ser # 3B210484. 2--hds12 live units. 2 poles, atlas plate, ghost, hamby's, active target, merc digital gauges
    2002 basscat pantera 3 (dad bought new) sold 8-2-22
    2000 stratos 20 ss (bought new) 200 hp Rude ficht great boat/motor sold 11-21
    pulled by a 2500HD Denali
    proud dad of an ARMY Captain
    MAGA
    ASE/GM Master tech before tools

5. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by 1fejj View Post
    I have Progressive. My boat is at a very reputable shop in Denver, NC. What I’ve got is a horrible adjuster who told the mercury technician “he’s got to do what best for the insurance Co”. So he’s clearly not willing so do what’s best for the customer.
    Jeff, sorry to hear about your situation. I live in Matthews NC. I also use Progressive for boat insurance. I have never filed a claim knock on wood. I would get really loud if they were denying a legit claim. Maybe call their NC regulator after having a conversation with someone at Progressive as high up as you can get.

John Walker - Matthews NC

2021 Ranger RT198P - Mercury 150 4S - Enertia Eco
    VesselView Link - MotorGuide Tour Pro - Lowrance Carbons

I mean I have had a skeg welded back on, its not a big deal. also not that expensive. but the the kicker it a hit like that could have damaged gears.
    Bryan McDonough
    2023 Nitro Z21 XL
    Nitro Team

7. Member
    If all you have is a damaged skeg all they should do is replace the case why would you think you should get a whole new lower unit. I don't know who told you Mercury don't recommend that but you got some bad info.
    04 521VX 250 Pro XS
    14 521C 250 Pro XS

8. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by mactlman View Post
    call flo and complain--she will get it corrected quickly
    Sorry but who is Flo?

9. Member
    If you really trust the shop where the boat is then by all means get the whole new lower unit. Had to have 3 different skegs replaced on last Ranger with an Opti 150. If done correctly you can't tell the difference.

10. Member
    Sorry but who is Flo?
    the red head in the commercials
    2022 z519 cup 225 merc 4s ser # 3B210484. 2--hds12 live units. 2 poles, atlas plate, ghost, hamby's, active target, merc digital gauges
    2002 basscat pantera 3 (dad bought new) sold 8-2-22
    2000 stratos 20 ss (bought new) 200 hp Rude ficht great boat/motor sold 11-21
    pulled by a 2500HD Denali
    proud dad of an ARMY Captain
    MAGA
    ASE/GM Master tech before tools

11. Member
    Have the adjuster write a letter stating with a housing only all the internals will have a warranty for 1 full year or replace the lower unit.
    2014 Phoenix 721XP, 250 SHO, Bobs Action Jack, Dual Blades, 112 Ultrex, 2019 Lariat FX4 F150 Supercrew 4x4

12. Member
    Gearcase housing is somewhere in the neighborhood of $2500. I had one replaced. Entire lower is somewhere between $6500-8000 . I had one of those also. The last time it was a prop shaft and a gearcase housing. With a good mechanic it will be fine. Mine is. I have Progressive also.
    GETFISHED !!!

13. Member
    Was the prop damaged? Shaft bent? Did they drain the oil? Any metal? Splines twisted? If they are already approving a case it has to come apart anyway, the shop could take it apart and look for additional damage inside. If it truly is just a skeg and just needs a case they don’t owe you for a whole lower unit. That would be you preference maybe, but not their responsibility. You are already getting a reseal and lower service out of it, make sure to pay for the water pump kit too while it is apart. Lower unit on a bass boat is kind of a wear item.

14. BBC SPONSOR
    Sorry but who is Flo?

15. Member
    Luv the Flo picture

John Walker - Matthews NC

2021 Ranger RT198P - Mercury 150 4S - Enertia Eco
    VesselView Link - MotorGuide Tour Pro - Lowrance Carbons

16. Member
    Insurance co job is to pay out the least possible. I've had many argument with insurance companies the correct way to repair or replace. If the tech says replace ,so be it fight it withe the adjuster and have tech step up also to back you.

17. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by scotty34 View Post
    Insurance co job is to pay out the least possible. I've had many argument with insurance companies the correct way to repair or replace. If the tech says replace ,so be it fight it withe the adjuster and have tech step up also to back you.
    Iam with you on this .

18. Member
    Does anyone know of a group that is rebuilding the new Merc 4 stoke lower units? I knocked my skeg almost completely off when I met a log running 70. My insurance co only wants to replace the housing but my Merc technician and Mercury doesn’t not recommend that. Am I just better off purchasing a new one?

Any insight would be great. Thanks
    Ask for a new adjuster and a second opinion. You can also hire your own independent adjuster too.

19. Member
    Have tried Don Weed over on the Mercury forum. He in Greenville South Carolina and you are in Charlotte. Not far away.