'Best country in the world' is planning to ban electric cars amid the energy crisis.

I was shocked when I saw this headline, but it made complete sense when I read the article with the shortages that are happening in Europe right now.

Switzerland — the best country in the world according to a recent analysis from US News & World Report — could shorten store operating hours, lower the thermostats at buildings, and limit the private use of electric cars to “absolutely necessary journeys.”
    These proposed measures haven’t been passed into law just yet. But they serve as a reminder that electricity doesn’t magically appear at every wall outlet — and EVs don't run on fairy dust.

I pray that those that are pushing this all out EV agenda are paying attention to what is going on at the other side of the pond realizing that we need all sources of to make the best situation for our planet and ourselves.

2. Member
    Energy is energy. There's a higher demand. Developing countries want it, developed countries are gluttons.
    The crux of the problem is the point of delivery, in societies with means to compete for energy economically.
    Unfortunately, they're going to find an issue with petroleum based solutions as well, with a bit more delay.

3. Member
    TJ
    the way I see it, the point of delivery is the least of our issues, since our infrastructure can hardly handle what we have currently, so unless we correct the crappy system we have, brown out will become a daily event. We have 3 farms coming up in my area, but for what I have heard doesn't seem alot of power coming out of them. My nephew is managing the tie in to the main line by O'Connell Electric.
    I believe the mistake EU made was putting all their eggs in the electric only power, without even having enough other sources.

4. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by digthemup View Post
    TJ
    the way I see it, the point of delivery is the least of our issues, since our infrastructure can hardly handle what we have currently, so unless we correct the crappy system we have, brown out will become a daily event. We have 3 farms coming up in my area, but for what I have heard doesn't seem alot of power coming out of them. My nephew is managing the tie in to the main line by O'Connell Electric.
    I believe the mistake EU made was putting all their eggs in the electric only power, without even having enough other sources.
    None of our energy systems have elasticity, none. Try adding 5% demand to our petroleum needs.
    Or 5% to our natural gas needs. Or pick another industry, 5% to our hospital needs. Nearly anything.
    Just in time. Zero warehousing. We're tight. Capacity to grow, we have none by design. Profitability.

5. Stocks/Investments Moderator boneil's Avatar
    When you import almost half of your natgas energy from Russia, and then you ban Russian energy, you get energy shortages. Switzerland and the rest of Europe are going to have to curtail energy usage no matter what kind of vehicles they drive.

You see similar things here when energy demand is higher than energy output. We are asked to reduce consumption.

It simply makes solar and battery backup more attractive.
    Thanos was the hero

6. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by TampaJim View Post
    None of our energy systems have elasticity, none. Try adding 5% demand to our petroleum needs.
    Or 5% to our natural gas needs. Or pick another industry, 5% to our hospital needs. Nearly anything.
    Just in time. Zero warehousing. We're tight. Capacity to grow, we have none by design. Profitability.
    You are correct that none of the energy system should be the only source because none can support the total demand. Look at what happen in Californico this past summer where their electrical grid was overwhelmed to the point that they asked people to charge their EV only at night to relieve some of the strain.

7. Member
    You are correct that none of the energy system should be the only source because none can support the total demand. Look at what happen in Californico this past summer where their electrical grid was overwhelmed to the point that they asked people to charge their EV only at night to relieve some of the strain.
    Yep. But they could charge at night, on lower demand days, etc. And every year, more California homes are adding solar.
    More than one answer. EVs are a great add to the mix, plus improved rail systems, nuclear and, above all, conservation.

8. Stocks/Investments Moderator boneil's Avatar

Isn't that proof of California's grid getting better? They used to have rolling brown outs. The BBC lounge experts said the grid would fail cause of EVs. The worst thing that has happened recently are request to limit energy usage at certain times.
    Thanos was the hero

9. Member
    Boneil

That is a good question, is the grid getting better?? I suppose that by implementing some contraines, they prevented the rolling brownouts, which that leaves your question to be somewhat in the no direction. As I have expressed, we need all sources of energy if we are going to make some significant improvements to or climate.

My question would be to why in NYS we are not getting additional hydroelectric production?? from the greatest power of all Niagara Falls?

10. Stocks/Investments Moderator boneil's Avatar
    California's grid is getting better. They recently brought online grid battery storage facilities as well as Tesla was implementing virtual power plants for the first time this year. More and more grid storage is coming online all over the country. And Tesla virtual power plants, as well as other manufacturers like Generac, are going to have a meaningful impact going forward.

I think NYS is getting ready to get alot of power from offshore wind farms. And probably have some grid storage battery sites being built.
    Thanos was the hero

11. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by boneil View Post
    California's grid is getting better. They recently brought online grid battery storage facilities as well as Tesla was implementing virtual power plants for the first time this year. More and more grid storage is coming online all over the country. And Tesla virtual power plants, as well as other manufacturers like Generac, are going to have a meaningful impact going forward.

I think NYS is getting ready to get alot of power from offshore wind farms. And probably have some grid storage battery sites being built.
    I hope that they are way off shore cause they are uglier than sin to look at, and make this annoying sound if you are near by them. There is a farm at the end of Wolfe island in the St Lawrence that has change the entire look of that area.
    I have no idea way they are not trying to get more energy out of the hydropower Niagara Falls could be putting out.