Thread: Pitboss

Pitboss

Hi Guys!

I have an arsenal of cookers. I own two homes, so I have them in separate locations.

I have:

Pitboss Pro 800 grill/ smoker
    Pitboss stand up smoker
    Pitboss 36" griddle
    Pitboss Laredo 1000 grill/smoker

I say this because I have a lot of experience with the Pitboss brand and equipment. I do however believe I have an issue with my Laredo 1000. It seems to take forever to get hot. I timed it this afternoon with the following times and temps. I did completely clean the grill today as well before I tested this.

I set the grill to High (500*)

47 minutes to get to 380*
    59 minutes to get to 425*
    1 hour 8 minutes to get to 500*

Does this seem like a crazy amount of time to reach these temps? My brother has the Traeger Timberline XL so that is my only comparison with a different brand that I personally can test with. I feel like I should not have to go out almost an hour early from cooking time to get the pellet grill going.

I have read a lot about Pitboss and issues they have, but still, my Pro 800 does not take nearly as long to get to high or even 350 to slow grill something. I am located in the south now, so the ambient temp was 80* while I was testing, so I know it was not the outside temp.

Should I ditch the Pitboss and go with the Timberline XL or something else like the new Camp Chef, or is the Pitboss temp/ time thing reasonable?
    2021 Triton 19 TRX Patriot with 225 ProXS
    (2) Power Pole Blades
    Ghost, Ghost 360, Active Target, HDS Live

2. Member
    I'd take the Pit Boss apart and figure out what's wrong with it.
    Firebox, auger feed, etc. Doesn't sound right to me either.
    I'm assuming you're tracking the ambient temp independently.
    Not using the built-in system, because it might be the issue.

I'm of the opinion the Ironwood Series is a better value grill.
    The $$ spent to move to the Timberlane Series is significant.
    And the upgrades don't offset, IMO, especially in the South.

3. Member
    Hi Jim,

Yea I am testing the ambient temp differently with an independent device from the PID. The troubleshooting that Pitboss provides has resulted in "nothing" wrong with it. The auger works, the fan works. I am not saying it works correctly and the way it is "supposed" to.

Its just weird. I also thought about since the 1000 is a larger cooking area grill, that maybe it takes longer to heat, but I just cant buy that it takes that long to get it to temp compared to the standup smoker, or even the pro 800 series.
    (2) Power Pole Blades

4. Member
    Larger cooking area, sure. Is the firebox larger, auger system, etc?
    Even if it's the same, the values don't seem correct, not even close.
    I'd lose my mind, that's not good. Any chance Pit Boss will swap it?

5. Member
    I could ask them, but the customer service for pitboss is lackluster at best from what I read online. I have smoked a ton of meat in this grill already and it has turned out great. I just wonder if it is just one of those things, that it is what it is, and I have deal with it and adjust how I do things for timeliness.

Even the smoke mode only gets to 165* and then you have to take it out of smoke mode to get to 225*. While it still smokes at 225*, it is different than any other model I have used. Just so weird.
    (2) Power Pole Blades

6. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by InfantryMP View Post
    Even the smoke mode only gets to 165* and then you have to take it out of smoke mode to get to 225*. While it still smokes at 225*, it is different than any other model I have used. Just so weird.
    That's pretty much normal ... smoke only is supposed to be minimum heat for food safety.
    My Traeger is the same, first true cooking temperature step is 180F. I think it's perfect.

7. Member
    I guess it may just be par for the course on this model. I bought it exclusive to Walmart for $350. I may not be happy with the timeline, but the recourse would to spend quadruple to get better timing perhaps?
    (2) Power Pole Blades

8. Member
    Just read the WM reviews on that model. Apparently, it's slow at achieving temps.
    Your issue isn't unique at all, the heating up or the customer service being subpar.
    Is it possible to return it? Buy a different PB? Find another brand? Ours is Traeger.

9. Member
    I doubt I can return it. I have had it for about 4 months now. I did look at the new Pitboss Sportsman 1100 I think it is. It is around $699. I could sell this one for like $200, and go get the Sportsman model I suppose!
    (2) Power Pole Blades

10. Member
    I doubt I can return it. I have had it for about 4 months now. I did look at the new Pitboss Sportsman 1100 I think it is. It is around $699. I could sell this one for like $200, and go get the Sportsman model I suppose!
    Might be something your credit card covers, like our AmEx, if you used one.
    Otherwise, sell it, gift it or keep it for slow smoking @ low temperatures.

11. Member
    Go for it!

I have new Pit Boss Navigator 1150. It reaches 490° in about 15 minutes when it's near freezing outside. This I my 1st Pit Boss as I switched from Traegers as their reviews have been getting worse. The Navigator 1150 was worth every penny!!!
    Scott Inman

13. Member
    My Laredo 1000 is slow to heat up also...I had a Pitboss 440 that heated up pretty fast and replaced it with the Laredo.

Just read on a Pitboss forum that you should have an inch of light visible from the top of the smoke stack to the bottom of the stack cover. Maybe give this a try?
    Last edited by badgerbass; 12-10-2022 at 09:57 PM.

14. Member
    I read the same thing. I keep mine that way all the time. I smoked a meatloaf in the Laredo last night, and I am telling you it is painfully slow to wait for this thing to heat. I was on the smoke mode that goes to about 165, and then cranked it all the way up to 225 lol and it still took like 25 minutes to do that.

I may sell it as working, but is too slow for to heat up for me.
    (2) Power Pole Blades

15. Member
    Maybe go chat with the WM manager, they might surprise you and return the grill ... full value.
    Odds are good they'll drop the $ on a gift card, but a full retrieval of your funds would be nice.
    Just go without the grill, have a chat, be nice, etc. All they can do is say "NO", but maybe not.
    If they agree, just ensure you have a name, days/hours there, etc. and load that bad boy up.

16. Member
    I've cooked on my Grilla Grilz 1-2 times a week for six years and it's never missed a beat. Get away from the big box store stuff. Grilla, Rec-Tech are two companies that have great products and awesome customer service.