Cobra molds are for sale apparently. New chapter in the Cobra saga?

OK so you guys who know more than I feel free to jump in here.

The way I understood it, the original cobra molds made from the splashed ranger that was reworked, have been resold several times and eventually made it to Ski Hut in Wisconsin.

It appears that these molds were used to make the ill-fated Cobra Bassboats made in 2016-2017 range. I'm thinking this simply because Cobra Bassboats were also made in the same town in Wisconsin as Ski Hut, which could be a coincidence, I guess. To my untrained eye the hulls look the same but the caps are slightly different.

I reached out to Cobra Bassboats simply to inquire if they planned to start back making these and this was the reply:
    "We only made a couple of boats. We are not going to make any more. In fact we are looking to sell the molds that we currently have for the 216, 201 and Coral."

Granted, this a loose connection of the dots, but it looks like the original Cobra molds are for sale.

What you say is correct from what I've heard as well. The guys in WI only made on boat as far as I know. Unfortunately, IMHO, there are too many boat manufacturers out there and it'd take someone with tons of $$$$ and time to get a new company going but, I do wish whoever ends up with them the best of luck. I haven't kept my Cobra for 21 years for nothing. :)

Tom

3. Member
    20 yrs and counting, and the only thing I would consider is an Alpha 211r DC.

4. Member
    I seen the one cobra they built for sale on facebook marketplace 2 months ago. It was a 2016 Cobra 216 with a 250hp Tohatsu, in Missouri somewhere.
    2000 COBRA 201D
    Suzuki 200 4 Stroke

5. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by UKFISHIN View Post
    I seen the one cobra they built for sale on facebook marketplace 2 months ago. It was a 2016 Cobra 216 with a 250hp Tohatsu, in Missouri somewhere.
    Weird, I saw that by happenstance and thought it was a Coosa with a wrap and the yr was for the engine.

Had a 201 for 18 years, now have a 21' Triton. The extra width, drier ride, and more storage i now have, I could not justify going back to the narrower smaller boat. Loved my 201 and do miss the hole shot, but those molds are 25 yrs old, (design) probably just need to leave them in the past. I do however rubber neck everytime I see a Cobra on the water, still a sharp looking rig!

7. Member
    Same thoughts. 20 something year old mold. If someone buys it they would have to widen and modernize the top cap to make it a hit today.

I really liked my '98 201 for the 16 years I owned it, but my 920 Phoenix is much better IMO. The Cobra is still a sharp looking boat and my old one is still getting looks on Grand Lake in Ok.

9. Member
    everybody wants the remake of old tech when it finally comes around the price is too high like the folks crowing about how great a 203 champ hull would be well its out an nobody cares the market has passed the old stuff by.

10. Born on th Llano Estacado Tx Champ's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by ssmithboats View Post
    everybody wants the remake of old tech when it finally comes around the price is too high like the folks crowing about how great a 203 champ hull would be well its out an nobody cares the market has passed the old stuff by.
    Only one production boat built so far and it's headed to Japan, no announcement from Charger and it's not on their web site, so I think your statement could be a bit premature. If Kelly didn't think there was a market, I don't think he would have built it. Let give it a chance and see. it's what I was looking for when I found my 210.

11. Irving-NorCal Irving-NorCal's Avatar
    Rode in a 2022 Phenix last month rode just like my 2000 Cobra 201DC. Nice boat. I'm still waiting on my 2023 Mercury Pro XS 250. Can't see buying new boat when mine is still solid. Carpet sucks. Gel coat could use some work. With new motor she'll light my fire again.
    Irving-NorCal
    2000 Cobra Viper 201 DC
    2024 Mercury 250L Pro XS SN# 3B431534
    Fury 3 Blade 24P

Quote Originally Posted by ssmithboats View Post
    Well Bass Cat has the Puma or Cougar FTD Hybrid that can be made with the Champion 203 Hull for sale now, been selling them since 2020. So the people in the business believe in that old hull.
    1995 Viper 201D
    1995 Johnson Venom 200
    Gas mileage is for sissies