running out of room for cables

I a 2011 z520. has had several upgrades of equipment as well as 3 different motors. somewhere along the line, the starboard side
    go full of cables running to lowrance and humminbird equipment. hard if not impossible to install new products, ie. the new lowrance products. what options do i have for running new power and transducer cables? thanks

2. Member
    Take out what you are not using or needing anymore

3. Member
    Have done that. Used old cables to pull new transducer cables through. I am wondering if anyone has somehow
    pulled down the center of the boat somewhere?

4. Member
    Take out the driver seat. You will then probably go under or around the live wells. You should be able to get get to the battery boxes from there. I had to do that to run my Sea Clear cables in my Ranger 518

5. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by z520brewer View Post
    Have done that. Used old cables to pull new transducer cables through. I am wondering if anyone has somehow
    pulled down the center of the boat somewhere?
    I did run a pair of heavy gauge wires down my boat's centerline from the bow of my Ranger Z20 to my Stealth 1 Charging system for my TowNCharge system. It was actually pretty easy to run them down the centerline. I removed the center floor drain to make fishing the wires more easily. Having said this, I still run my power cables and transducer cables through the starboard conduit for better support when running through rough water (I don't want wires bouncing around). My conduit is really full, and I am probably going to have a problem adding 2 transducer cables for Active Target 2, but I will still try and be patient.
    ciao,
    Marc

I ended up running transducer cables down the steering hose conduit in my 11 z521. This was good for cables running between the console and stern. I did have to remove the driver seat and the throttle panel to get the cables past the void to the console... but I made sure to tie off some 550 cord to the cable so that I have a something there to pull new cables through when something new comes out.
    united in the pursuit of bass.

Going to the bow, with small conduit on my '06 Ranger, I ran AT, 10ga. dedicated power, NEMA through the rod locker. Used cable clamps to secure. Cut tip of rod tube off to access the bow. Going to the stern, took out seat for additional access, and dug out foam. Liked thought of going under live well going to the back, didn't think of it when I ran stuff to the stern.

8. Member
    Thanks for ideas ��

If you're only trying to run power you can try running power from the battery to the rod locker in front of your console, or in the console, and adding a fuse panel at that location to feed the additional electronics from there.
    Phoenix 921ProXP Mercury 250 ProXS

10. Member
    Thanks again for the ideas. Specifically I am planning how I will run the new lowrance 3in1 from the stern to the console I have extra cables that I pulled over the years for power. The lowrance connectors are big enough that they have been a challenge to pull down the starboard side

11. Member
    Have an 04 Ranger 521. Trying to install Active Target. Trying to mount box in starboard rod locker. Do not have enough room on starboard to run the huge transducer cable. Anybody tried to dig out enough foam at the bow to get access to the front part of the starboard rod locker?

12. Member
    Did you cut tip of rod tube in the port or starboard rod locker? My boat is a 521 with tubes in the middle and port lockers. None in the starboard locker. Am trying to mount an active target box in the starboard locker. No room to run active target transducer cable in starboard conduit tube. Would like to get access to the front of the starboard rod locker but not sure how much foam will have to be dug out. I like your idea of cutting tip off a rod tube, however, on my boat would have to mount in port rod box instead. I currently have the box in the bow of boat behind the instrument panel. Has plenty of room but haven't figured out a way to secure.

13. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Wmcook51 View Post
    Did you cut tip of rod tube in the port or starboard rod locker? My boat is a 521 with tubes in the middle and port lockers. None in the starboard locker. Am trying to mount an active target box in the starboard locker. No room to run active target transducer cable in starboard conduit tube. Would like to get access to the front of the starboard rod locker but not sure how much foam will have to be dug out. I like your idea of cutting tip off a rod tube, however, on my boat would have to mount in port rod box instead. I currently have the box in the bow of boat behind the instrument panel. Has plenty of room but haven't figured out a way to secure.
    Do you have rod tubes in the bow from the center box? If so you could use zip ties to wrap around them and the AT box and just leave it in the bow. A buddy of mine did this in his z521c. I will likely do the same if I get AT.

14. Member
    Tks. Yes I do have tubes in the center box. May try to secure again by wrapping zip ties around the unit itself and the tube ends to see if I can get it secure. Though the unit may get too hot for the zip ties to be wrapped around the unit it self vs being run through the screw holes. If your buddy did his that way and it is still working I may give it a try.

15. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Smalliefan2 View Post
    Going to the bow, with small conduit on my '06 Ranger, I ran AT, 10ga. dedicated power, NEMA through the rod locker. Used cable clamps to secure. Cut tip of rod tube off to access the bow. Going to the stern, took out seat for additional access, and dug out foam. Liked thought of going under live well going to the back, didn't think of it when I ran stuff to the stern.
    I did the same thing Smalliefan did in my Ranger Z21. I ran a dedicated power harness from a new 30 amp breaker near the batteries, through the bilge, under seats, up under the throttle, into the Ranger Starboard lockers. There is a hole up under the cap of the smaller square storage box and the larger lockers.

From the bow, I dug out a small amount of foam until I reached the plastic insert that is in the front of the starboard rod locker. I drilled a small hole in the nose of that plastic insert and ran transdeucer, ethernet, and power cords from 2 meters to a fuse block. The AT Black box is mounted in the rod locker as well. I added a small switch to the AT power line so I could turn off the Black Box but still run the 2 meters. I secured all of the wires using wire clamps and it came out pretty clean. Definitely beats going through the conduit in the cap, I couldn't even pull the AT power cord 2 inches and saved so much time trying to fish tape wires.

16. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Wmcook51 View Post
    Tks. Yes I do have tubes in the center box. May try to secure again by wrapping zip ties around the unit itself and the tube ends to see if I can get it secure. Though the unit may get too hot for the zip ties to be wrapped around the unit it self vs being run through the screw holes. If your buddy did his that way and it is still working I may give it a try.
    See my reply below, I went through the Starboard plastic rod locker insert that runs all the way to the bow panel.

17. Member
    sjlarussa where did you enter the starboard plastic rod locker?

18. Member
    I opened up the bow panel and dug out foam until I found the nose of the plastic rod locker insert. It wasn’t very much foam and that insert runs all the way to under that bow panel, down to the right almost against the gunnel. I’ll try to get a picture but I hit the insert fairly quick once I used a chisel on the foam.

19. Member
    thanks