Insulated or not

looking a buying a new shanty or cover for my single man does insulated help if you dont run heat in it, my assumption is not but not been in an insulated one sop figured i would ask

2. Member
    The insulation does a couple of things in my opinion. If you are not running heat in there the biggest difference you will experience with an insulated shell is the reduction in wind noise and penetration. Generally the insulated fabrics are heavier, so they provide better resistance to those elements. If running heat inside the shelter, it will make a tank of propane last considerably longer if you have an adjustable heater. If you are running a buddy heater in a smaller two man, you would need it on high all the time without insulation whereas with insulation you would be able to turn it down to low after you have reached your desired temp and still maintain a good bit of heat in the shack.

The claim that they reduce condensation is somewhat misleading as burning propane produces the condensation. You can burn less propane which in some way can reduce condensation, but not by much from my experience. The only way to get rid of the condensation is to have an exterior vented heater and running dry air over a heating element to circulate in the shack, ie forced air furnace like you would see in many wheel houses.

3. Member
    Insulated shacks are great. Super warm and comfy. They do weigh more though. Not bad if you got a rig to pull a sled etc. I would never buy an uninsulated shack having seen the difference. With a buddy heater you can almost fish in a t shirt on nicer days.

4. Member
    While insulated definitely holds heat more, My preference is go with non insulated if you’re a walker and like to hole hop. I’d only do insulated if you just stay at a few spots all day long and rarely move. They are heavier and one man flips heat up fairly quick especially with black fabric.

I personally rarely bring a heater with me. I think the last time I used one was in 2016 when it was -35F.. We have an insulated hub style and it gets so warm without a heater that we are in tshirts just to avoid sweating, and most of the time we don’t even set it up. We really only do if it’s windy or below 0. Sweat+cold=bad situation.
    1995 Ranger 481v
    1995 Johnson Fast Strike 175hp

5. Member
    I have a 2-person flip over that is not insulated. I live near Chicago and fish NE Illinois and Wisconsin near Green Bay. We rarely get zero air temps. I have never missed having an insulated hut. At times when it gets real cold I have a Buddy Heater, and I have never needed to run it continuously.

6. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by ECobb91 View Post
    While insulated definitely holds heat more, My preference is go with non insulated if you’re a walker and like to hole hop. I’d only do insulated if you just stay at a few spots all day long and rarely move.
    This^

There is also another factor with an insulated shelter that you may want to consider. I have one of each and after a year my Eskimo hub interior finish really has worn down a lot so that you can lees the light coming through all the stitches as well as almost being able to see through the fabric so that you know you are not having great heat retention as with an insulated tent. An insulated tent is also a little quieter in the wind with a little less fabric vibration.
    97 Stratos 288
    175 Evenrude Intruder
    Humminbird electronics
    Garmin electronics
    Fortrex112
    2012 Ford Lariat 250