Don, another question. Just curious to know how it works

Serial # 1b785368
    As stated in one of the other threads i have here, this is the first Opti I have had so I am trying to learn.
    My EFI did not have an Air Compressor but the Opti does.
    Can you explain what and why reason for the opti and what exactly it does for the motor?
    Again just trying to learn

Primary reason was to reduce emissions, as result they run cleaner, have far better throttle response and at least 30% better fuel economy. The air compressor pumps air into the fuel rails air chambers, the fuel injectors deliver fuel to the air chambers and then the air injectors spray that atomized mixture directly into a cavity in the center of the piston. This is the short version as it is a well-designed system that is quite complicated
    Thank You Leon Pugh

3. Member
    standard 2 strk mtrs use a homogenized / mixed fuel air charge to cyl via injection carbs through front of engine very inefficient / dirty ........ optimax engines use a stratified fuel charge that uses air psi to help atomize fuel and inject this mixture under high psi very precisely into the cyl resulting in a much more if not complete combustion this system as LEON said is complex but very very clean in emissions and much more fuel efficient ,,,,,,, im not DON bet he will agree
    .................................................. ...the scariest thing in life is the unknown ...................................

4. Member
    So Don's 150:1 oil in the fuel tank lubricates both the fuel and air injector? Nice.
    2022 mercury 250HP
    s/n 3B216469
    0 hrs.
    Smart craft gauges

5. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    It does- though it's really the Direct injector that benefits the most from it.

Definitely a very efficient setup when working as it's supposed to. BUT... there's a lot of things going on that have to be "just right" to make it that efficient.

I usually see about 2 "new" things a decade that I personally think are "impressive". The Optimax DFI system was one of those things (way back in the 90's).

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

6. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Another Distraction View Post
    So Don's 150:1 oil in the fuel tank lubricates both the fuel and air injector? Nice.
    and 2 fuel pumps , plus cleans from tank to prop hub
    .................................................. ...the scariest thing in life is the unknown ...................................