Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Are you cross dominant ?

Not to be confused with ambidextrous. Cross dominance is very rare, roughly 1% of the population has it. It's when you favor certain limbs, eyes, ears etc depending on the task. Whereas most people are dominant right handed followed by left handed, cross dominance is a mixture of both.

I'm one of them. Here's some examples of how I handle certain tasks.

Writing - right
    Fork - left
    Knife - right
    Spoon - left
    Throw a ball - right
    Throw a Frisbee- left
    Kick a ball - left
    Hand gun - right
    Rifle/shotgun - left
    Bow/arrow - left
    Pool cue - left
    Fishing rod - right hand for both casting & spinning
    Reel - always left

Any other jumbled up folks out there ?
    Ranting incoherently

2. Member
    If you want to fish hard when you get old. Learn to cast and fish with left and right handed reels.

3. Banned
    I am also cross dominant. Many of the examples you gave above would apply to me. As a ham radio operator, when working CW, my right hand works the key and my left writes down messages received.

I pretty much do everything right handed, except I use my left hand to eat and write.

5. Member
    My father was cross dominant, he wrote right handed but anything he had to swing (hammer, baseball bat, ax, golf club, etc...) was naturally left handed. Having cross dominant vision is a blessing or a curse depending on your hobby. It is a real problem for wing shooting and guys have to learn to shoot with their dominant eye closed or wear patch over their eye to see the target properly. On the other hand, one of the greatest baseball hitters of all time, George Brett, was left handed but right eye dominant. It allowed him to have his dominant eye more directly facing the pitcher yet still have the dominant hand guiding the bat. Several star baseball players have had this same characteristic, read an article on it several years ago.

6. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by bilgerat View Post
    Not to be confused with ambidextrous. Cross dominance is very rare, roughly 1% of the population has it. It's when you favor certain limbs, eyes, ears etc depending on the task. Whereas most people are dominant right handed followed by left handed, cross dominance is a mixture of both.
    Thanks for explaining that. I always thought it meant cross dressers who are into S&M.

I am very ambidextrous, i can cast/ fish both hands. I shoot both right and left handed Recurve/long bows (no sights) instinctive. Taken deer with both. Play lacrosse with both hands, shoot/pass.
    I am right handed, but I pitch left handed pretty much 90% of the time. If the angle makes more sense to pitch right I do.

8. Member
    I mostly use my right, but do some eating with the left. However; in college on a whim I bat left-handed during intramural baseball practice and discovered I bat about 100 pts better left-handed and hit with more power and better pull. I wish I knew that about 13 years earlier.
    War Eagle Blackhawk 2170 - Suzuki 150, MG Xi5
    Lowrance HDS 7" & 9" - Twin Talon 12' Anchors

9. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by BP in ME View Post
    Thanks for explaining that. I always thought it meant cross dressers who are into S&M.

Quote Originally Posted by BP in ME View Post
    Thanks for confirming my gut feeling as I posted this thread
    Ranting incoherently

11. RIP Evinrude 1907-2020 JR19's Avatar
    I find this interesting because a lot of people do not know the difference between cross dominance and ambidextrous. When ask if I'm left or right handed and I respond I'm cross dominant I typically get a funny look followed buy the response of do you mean your ambidextrous. Then is when I explain that ambidextrous is when you can preform task equally with both hands. I have task I can do right handed that I struggle with left handed and vice versa. If I had to chose to identify as left or right handed I identify as right handed. Oddly though I am left eye dominate. Here is some example of things I do...

I throw a baseball, football and shoot a basket ball right handed.
    I swing a baseball bat left handed.
    This one puzzles me but I swing a golf club right handed but as stated above I swing a bat left handed.
    I shoot a long gun left handed but I shot a pistol right handed.
    I shoot archery right handed.
    I use eating utensils right handed unless I'm using a knife then I cut right handed and eat left handed.
    I cast a spinning and bait casting reel left handed
    All my reels I crank right handed.

12. Member
    Writing - RH
    Rod - RH
    Reeling - LH
    Kicking - LF

Left handed but right eyed
    So it's mostly left hand
    Except, Batting, kicking a ball or shooting
    Rifles are RH, Pistol is left hand right eye (cross body)
    Fishing, I've always used RH reels. lol there were no LH 202's

Dripping Springs, Texas and Wahpeton, Iowa
    I can cast with both my right and left, paddle just as strong with the left as my right.

I consider myself Amphibiandexterous.

15. Member
    Left eye dominant and right handed.

So shooting and archery are all lefties for me.

16. Member
    I am right handed with most things. Swing a golf club, baseball bat left handed. I never played organized little league ball so no one told me I was batting incorrectly. Later as a teenager when I decided to take up golf it was most natural to swing left handed also.
    '06 Procraft 205 Pro Mercury 225 Optimax

17. Member
    I am so glad this thread didn't involve leather.
    2020 VEXUS 1880 Victor Red
    Merc 115 HP Pro XS
    Minn Kota Ultrex 80 I-Link MDI
    Helix 10 MEGA+ MSI
    Helix 9 x 2 MEGA+ MDI
    Live Image FFS
    2021 Aluminum Trailer
    10' Talons w/sandwich brackets

18. Member
    Don't get me started, all over the place. Shoot right but either eye can become dominant, so I have to smudge the left lense on my shooting glasses to stop it from taking over. I can also shoot left-handed. Cast with either hand but pitch or flip using the left hand. Switch hitter in base/softball. Golf right-handed, hockey right-handed but can use a lefty stick without much drop in performance (the backhand is bad lefty).

Years of drumming and forcing myself to work the left hand more than the right during exercises. I even reverse my drum set at times and play as a lefty to stay in practice.

19. Member
    I am right all the time, it irritates a lot of people.

Smith Mountain Lake, VA and a cottage in Ontario
    Left handed
    Right eye dominant
    Cast left handed
    Bowl left handed
    Golf right handed
    Bat right handed
    Throw left handed
    Shoot left handed (rather poorly with a shotgun)
    2018 Ranger RT188 SC Black/115 hp Yamaha SHO 4-stroke; Garmin LVS34 - north
    2018 Ranger RT188 DC Black/115 hp Merc Pro XS 4-stroke; Garmin LVS34 - south
    14' Mirrorcraft tin boat (ancient) with a 9.9 Mercury 4-stroke, no electronics; catches fish anyway

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast