Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
  1. Ranger Boats Moderator jc2bg's Avatar
    Not at all cross-dominant, and unfortunately I was an avid golfer [100+ rounds a year] for 30-some years before I made the connection. When I putt with both eyes open, sometimes I am not lined up properly with the hole. Being right-handed, if I close my left eye when lining up to putt, I am always looking down the correct line.

That said, I also was an avid trap and skeet shooter for many years, and extremely nearsighted in the right eye [since corrected by lasik]. I broke many 100-straights in both trap and skeet shooting right-handed but looking out of my left eye, with my right eye closed. Somehow I must have made the appropriate adjustments, because with my left eye only, I’m always looking well to the left of where my dominant eye points. However, I was money on hard lefts out of the house, ‘cause I always had an extra built-in lead to the left. Hard rights were my downfall.
    John Clark — Findlay, Ohio

2. Member
    I am painfully cross dominant to the point that I am bordering on schizophrenic. I am right eye dominant, and write with my left hand below is my list of schizophrenic symptoms:
    shoot pool- lh
    shoot gun- rh
    spinning reels- ln
    baitcasters- rh
    hit a baseball- lh
    golf- rh
    throw a baseball- rh
    throw a football- both hands
    cutting w/ a saw- lh
    cutting w/ knife- rh

I am beginning to think my girlfriend is right......There IS something wrong with me.
    5 Short of a limit

3. Member
    I had to do everything with my non dominate had for six weeks while in a sling after rotator cuff surgery. Thank goodness I can use my dominate hand again because my non dominate hand is about worthless.

Quote Originally Posted by n2ratfishin View Post
    I had to do everything with my non dominate had for six weeks while in a sling after rotator cuff surgery. Thank goodness I can use my dominate hand again because my non dominate hand is about worthless.
    I wipe my butt left handed
    Ranting incoherently

5. Team Catfish Original hatcreek's Avatar
    Have to admit, Bill...

When I saw the thread title and considered your ongoing stretch of couch-bound existence as your injuries heal, I was fairly certain you'd finally succumbed to cabin fever, or something infinitely worse.
    Who controls John Gill?

6. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by bilgerat View Post
    Not to be confused with ambidextrous. Cross dominance is very rare, roughly 1% of the population has it. It's when you favor certain limbs, eyes, ears etc depending on the task. Whereas most people are dominant right handed followed by left handed, cross dominance is a mixture of both.

I'm one of them. Here's some examples of how I handle certain tasks.

Writing - right
    Fork - left
    Knife - right
    Spoon - left
    Throw a ball - right
    Throw a Frisbee- left
    Kick a ball - left
    Hand gun - right
    Rifle/shotgun - left
    Bow/arrow - left
    Pool cue - left
    Fishing rod - right hand for both casting & spinning
    Reel - always left

Any other jumbled up folks out there ?
    not sure i believe the stats on this one. Look at the number of left handed hockey players up here...we are mostly right handed playing hockey left.
    06 Stratos 294 ProXL

7. Member
    Not to be confused with ambidextrous. Cross dominance is very rare, roughly 1% of the population has it. It's when you favor certain limbs, eyes, ears etc depending on the task. Whereas most people are dominant right handed followed by left handed, cross dominance is a mixture of both.

I'm one of them. Here's some examples of how I handle certain tasks.

Writing - right
    Fork - left
    Knife - right
    Spoon - left
    Throw a ball - right
    Throw a Frisbee- left
    Kick a ball - left
    Hand gun - right
    Rifle/shotgun - left
    Bow/arrow - left
    Pool cue - left
    Reel - always left

Any other jumbled up folks out there ?
    I'm a little jumbled:

Writing - Left
    Fork - left
    Knife - right
    Spoon - left
    Throw a ball - right
    Throw a Frisbee- right
    Kick a ball - right
    Hand gun - right
    Rifle/shotgun - right
    Bow/arrow - draw with right hand
    Reel - always left
    Paint - right or left
    swing a hammer - right or left

In my career, I've noticed more mechanical engineers being lefties than I thought I would.
    Bullet 21XRS
    Mercury Pro XS 250

Quote Originally Posted by hatcreek View Post
    Have to admit, Bill...

When I saw the thread title and considered your ongoing stretch of couch-bound existence as your injuries heal, I was fairly certain you'd finally succumbed to cabin fever, or something infinitely worse.
    It's closer than I care to admit I'm not handling this whole "sitting on my azz for 3 weeks" thing well at all ...
    Ranting incoherently

Quote Originally Posted by AKRISONER View Post
    not sure i believe the stats on this one. Look at the number of left handed hockey players up here...we are mostly right handed playing hockey left.
    But is that a result of being trained to shoot left from an early age or a naturally occurring dominance ?
    Ranting incoherently

I wish...I'm so dominant left-handed, that my right hand is little more than a wrist-watch holder and one time gear changer. I can barely do anything with my right hand. Although with my left I can also write upside down and backwards.
    2016 Nitro Z21
    "They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety." Benjamin Franklin

11. Member
    Heterodominant and it works for me.

12. Team Catfish Original hatcreek's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by TampaJim View Post
    Heterodominant and it works for me.

Who controls John Gill?

13. Member
    But is that a result of being trained to shoot left from an early age or a naturally occurring dominance ?
    Naturally occurring. In fact, up until the 90's left handed shots were an oddity. So much so you still have a legacy of weirdos up here that shoot left in hockey but play golf right because there were no left handed golf clubs.

Canada has the highest ratio of left handed golfers anywhere in the world and its because hockey has us all messed up. In the NHL there is actually now a shortage of right handed shot defensemen!

I can assure you I was never "taught" to play hockey left handed, it was actually a nuisance growing up and I regularly was stuck playing left handed with a right handed stick
    06 Stratos 294 ProXL

14. Member
    It's more of a finesse and power thing for me...

Finesse (Right)
    Writing
    Painting
    Cutting
    Etc

Power (Left)
    Hitting golf or baseball
    Opening a pickle jar
    dribbling a basketball
    But now that I think about it, I always hold my hook in my right hand and thread my line through the hook eye with my left... I'm not sure what I am

Quote Originally Posted by Quillback View Post
    I pretty much do everything right handed, except I use my left hand to eat and write.
    Same

Quote Originally Posted by AKRISONER View Post
    Naturally occurring. In fact, up until the 90's left handed shots were an oddity. So much so you still have a legacy of weirdos up here that shoot left in hockey but play golf right because there were no left handed golf clubs.

Canada has the highest ratio of left handed golfers anywhere in the world and its because hockey has us all messed up. In the NHL there is actually now a shortage of right handed shot defensemen!

I can assure you I was never "taught" to play hockey left handed, it was actually a nuisance growing up and I regularly was stuck playing left handed with a right handed stick
    Come to think of it, back in the mid 70's when I was a kid and street hockey was THE phenomenon in my area when there was a crapload of kids playing, it was rare to see any lefties. I only remember a very few NHL lefties from back then, including goalies.
    Ranting incoherently

17. Member
    I'm right handed and right footed for most everything, but my left eye is dominant. I can use a piece of tape over my left shooting glasses lens to force my right eye to aim down the barrel, but I had to use a flip down eye patch for archery, since I needed the left eye to be totally obscured for that shooting, for some reason. When I got a multifocal contact for reading (presbyopia), I got it for my right eye, since I needed my left eye for distance and normal "walking around vision".

18. Banned
    Yes, most came naturally but have since 'evolved' e.g. if I throw anything I can't wipe my arse..

It helped at the shooting range when I could qualify w/both my duty Sig™ and the short-barrel at the same time.. cleaning the guns took the fun out.

shooting pool

I’m Cross Dominant.

Write-left
    Golf-right
    Throw ball-left
    Hit ball-right (but can hit for lower avg from left)
    Casting-left, but forced myself to learn to be just as efficient with my right arm for obvious advantages.
    Eat-left
    Tennis-left
    Bowling-left

I’m definitely NOT ambidextrous. If I would try to sign my name with my right hand it would be unreadable.

left eye dominate.

pistol right
    rifle left
    throw left
    bat right
    frisbee right
    spinning reel right
    bait caster left
    play guitar left
    surf and skated goofy foot..left
    bowling left
    2024 Phoenix 818, Mercury 175 (3B414035) Trick Steps, 3 Garmin 106 SV,s, LVS 34. BoatEFX dual bow mount. Ionic 12V 125AH, 2 12V 100 ah LiTime’s for the TM. Minn Kota 345 PCL charger,

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast