Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
  1. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by b*******51 View Post
    Sturgeon Bay, WI is under 10 hours from your neck of the woods. If you are looking for some smaller inland lakes PM me with and I can point you in the right direction in Northern MN and WI
    OP wants to avoid rough water- SB is great but conditions can be absolutely brutal when the wind is up or shifts and the water starts to run.

2. Member
    Definitely stay away from big water as the wind and weather can quickly change and would ruin the experience for you and your wife. Also check the bass regulations for each state since they differ for each. Timing the bite will depend on where you choose to go and how far North you go, though May and June you'll probably run into fish in all three spawn phases. Definitely consider hiring a guide at least one day of your trip. Smaller rivers are also a good option to get away from the crowds and you and your wife might enjoy a nice float if you've never done that. Canada would be my choice but that's probably way too far a drive from MO.

3. Member
    Is Minnesota closer to you than Michigan?

Quote Originally Posted by JJohnSind View Post
    Is Minnesota closer to you than Michigan?
    Depending on area they are similar distance.

Zup's on Lac La Croix, look into it I went for 20 years, absolutely miss going. Some of the best fishing I have ever had.
    99 Ranger 217 Cherokee w/115hp Evinrude

The best areas within a reasonable drive from Missouri would be Sturgeon Bay or St. Claire/Erie in my opinion. You may also want to consider LaCrosse, Wi Pools 7, 8, and 9 where you can catch big numbers of BOTH SM and LM.

7. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by willwork4fish View Post
    I take a trip every year to Washington Island on Lake Michigan every fall. Been doing it for 20 years now, mid to late October. It's dicey because you have to hit the weather and water temps just right but when you do it can be incredible. Over the years we've had a good amount of 6's (including a 6-13) and one year a guy got one that I believe was 7 1/2. This year we didn't have any over 5 but a dozen or so that were close and more between 3 and 4 than under 3. I weighed a 16 incher that was 3-1...they get so fat.

Besides the fishing it's just a really cool place to go.
    Do you guys ferry across or do you boat across “death’s door”?

8. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by basscat tyler View Post
    Do you guys ferry across or do you boat across “death’s door”?
    When I'm alone I run it myself. Friends and family take ferry. 100 bucks and everyone lives. I'd feel bad taking someone with me. I rode the wake behind the ferry to get home more times than I should have. Ferry you have your rig and can drive around and stay a night or two.

Could always try up around Erie. Hit the right time can catch a lot.

While I know you said you want to stay away from big water, there are many bays with accompanying launches in Door County, WI which makes it easy to stay out of the wind. Take a look at a map, there are ways to get out of the wind regardless as to what direction it is blowing from. I know it is intimidating the first time but you get used to it real fast. And women LOVE Door Co!

Mid to late May is the best time for spawners but the weather usually fluctuates more. I like early July after the spawn is pretty much over.
    2016 Tuffy X-190
    Yamaha F175, Mercury 9.9
    Motorguide 80 lb Xi5
    Garmim/Humminbird graphs and Talon

11. Member
    There is an excellent small mouth lake about 6 hours northwest of you.oahe
    ~~1995 Gambler~~

Mercury 250 ProXS
    Bobs 10" AJ
    Dual Power Poles
    2-HB 1199's HB 1158 HB 597 in dash
    Ultrex 112

"Runs like a cheetah... with his @$$ on fire"

12. Member
    Northern Minnesota offers plenty of small lake options and larger lake options.
    Bass Boat