Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

2023 ZXR 20 question

I’m looking at purchasing a 2023 ZXR-20 and have read several time about the “30 mile per hour porpoise” issue. Is this as simple as keeping you motor trimmed down? I fish many small lakes and 25 to 35 miles per hour are common speeds. Any assistance is appreciated. Note, I have owned quite a few bass boats over the last 35+ years including a 2004 ZX 250 and a 2007 21 I class and don’t recall a slow plane driving issue. Thanks!

2. Member
    I had a 2019 zx225 and I had this problem of sorts but with Time and driving it alls that was needed was learning how to drive it after that you'll lovve it

3. Member
    Yes, it is that simple. I had a ‘19 zx225 and now the FXR20. Both would porpoise if you are too trimmed up at slow speeds; almost any boat will. Just keep it trimmed down and if it starts to bounce, give it a little romp on the gas and it’ll pop right out.
    2022 Skeeter FXR20 Limited

4. Member
    I will add a hydraulic JP helps alot to. If I know I'm going to be going slow for an extended distance I will drop my plate all the way down and keep the motor tucked. I have a 2 year old that I take with me from time to time. When I make adjustments as stated above I can stay around 23 to 24 mph with no porpoising.

5. Member
    I am running this model and have no problems, just trim as needed.

6. Member
    Thanks for the input/advice. I’m coming out of a Caymas CX-19. It’s a great riding boat, just to small for my needs.

7. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by TxBassfisher View Post
    Yes, it is that simple. I had a ‘19 zx225 and now the FXR20. Both would porpoise if you are too trimmed up at slow speeds; almost any boat will. Just keep it trimmed down and if it starts to bounce, give it a little romp on the gas and it’ll pop right out.
    This! I run my Fxr21 all the time at slow speeds. Jump up on plane and never touch the trim I have no problem easing around at low speeds

8. Member
    Mine will do it also, learned how to adjust pretty quickly and resolve it.
    Last edited by 99R93S; 12-13-2022 at 10:14 PM.

9. Member
    I had this issue with my 2020 ZXR 20. I changed to a 26P Bravo 1 prop and porpoise went away.

10. Member
    It took a little seat time but I can now drive slow with no porpoise (2022 ZXR 20). I do have a hydraulic jack plate.

11. Member
    Do you find that more weight forward helps with this?

12. Member
    I’ve never tried more weight. Usually nothing more is needed than a quick trim adjustment. Plus I don’t want the weight when trying to run her.

13. Member
    It’s really simple, some try to over complicate it. When at slow speeds trim all the way down.

14. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by engineer43 View Post
    I had this issue with my 2020 ZXR 20. I changed to a 26P Bravo 1 prop and porpoise went away.
    Was the porpoising the only reason you switched out props? what other changes occurred when you switched props? Hole shot? top speed? Turns?

15. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by dreese View Post
    It’s really simple, some try to over complicate it. When at slow speeds trim all the way down.
    ^^^
    This
    You won't find a better riding boat out there..the ZXR boats are excellent boats
    Last edited by Verkeith; 12-20-2022 at 11:30 AM.

16. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Bearetta View Post
    Was the porpoising the only reason you switched out props? what other changes occurred when you switched props? Hole shot? top speed? Turns?
    When Loaded it helps maintain top speed and Hole shot. I actually picked up 1/2 MPH. Unloaded, me by myself I lost 2-3 MPH. Turns are great but was no issue before. Also, It drives better in really rough water. It just seams you have better control. However, If you have a really heavy load as I do such as a 265 lb. fishing partner and way more tackle than needed you may want to try a 25P Bravo 1 in the heat of summer to keep RPMs up. I will have a 25P for the upcoming summer here in Alabama.

Quote Originally Posted by engineer43 View Post
    +1
    2022 Skeeter ZXR20
    Yamaha 250 SHO

18. triton
    Just get use to triming down at slow speeds, you will have no problems .....

CARL MAYER
    SKEETER FX20 2016
    BARRYVILLE NY 12719

2023 FORD RAPTOR

19. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by triton View Post
    Just get use to triming down at slow speeds, you will have no problems .....
    I have a 2021 FXR 21 and it is not that simple. Below 35 slick or choppy water trim all the way down, jack plate all the way down or up, boat porpoises. Not a big problem until you get caught in some nasty waves and cant control bow. The porpoising is not huge but is noticable, later this year I may try a different prop as I am not a speed freak. I do not have a ton of tackle in boat, have an Ultrex and 15" Helix on bow. Boat rides great at 40 plus mph even in sloppy conditions.
    Last edited by Capt.Bryan; 01-17-2023 at 07:20 AM.

20. Member
    I have a 2022 FXR21 with Bobs jack plate set at 2.2 and I run 3700 RPM to most locations on the lake with zero issues. 3 blade yamaha prop. I did experience porpoise when I first got the boat but after 3 or 4 trips out it was fairly simple to learn how to avoid it. These boats are so amazing I would absolutely not go another route simply because it will cause you drive a little more aware. Just my opinion.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast