Frequency which one

Have a new 106. I don’t understand the difference in frequencies for side images and how to use them. Which would be best. Mostly shallow water less than 8’. Thx

2. Member
    Over simplified, but, lower frequency will give more range but less detail. Higher frequency will give more detail but limited range. I would start with the higher frequency at that depth, you should get great imaging.

I am not an expert, but there probably is not a one setting works all the time.
    Generally, high frequencies show better detail, but don't go as far as low frequencies. Also, there are some rules of thumb for side distance at different depth. Like maybe three or four time the depth for distance out. I could be off on that.
    Some of it is trial and error for your conditions.
    I saw a you tube video where a guy got a lot better side image when he set the side view to high frequency and the down view to lower frequency. That may not happen to everyone, but shows a need to experiment.
    Sorry I didn't answer your question exactly, but I hope this helps some.

Quote Originally Posted by Coho975 View Post
    Over simplified, but, lower frequency will give more range but less detail. Higher frequency will give more detail but limited range. I would start with the higher frequency at that depth, you should get great imaging.
    Ha, you type faster than me!

5. Member
    Easy option is downvu 1000 and sidevu 800. 455 for sidevu wide search
    2012 Ranger Z521 2023 Mercury 250 Pro XS

Try both and see which you like better.
    If you dont have yours zoomed way out (think I keep my SI at about 80ft) I prefer the detail over the range.