Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

best reel backing to prevent slipping?

What type of line do you generally use as backing on your reels to prevent the line from slipping on the spool ? Not sure I want to wrap electrical tape around my spools.

2. Tin Boats Moderator Pokie Pa's Avatar
    I got an old 2000 yd spool of 20 lb mono I use as a backer. Works for me. Double uni knot and ready to go.
    Tim Messer ~ Lake Ariel, Pa.
    US Army 1968 ~ 1971

2019 Ranger RT188 ~ Merc PRO XS ~ MK Ultrex

3. Member
    I'm straight braid on all reels. One overhand knot then a 1" piece of electrical tape. Never have experienced any slip whatsoever.

4. Member
    I bought a large spool of 10 lb. neon yellow co-polymer at Cabelas for $5.00 years ago. I use that as backing, that way when I'm getting down on the line on my spool, I can see the neon yellow start to show at the end of a long cast. It helps me gauge how far I can still go before I need to re-spool.

5. Member
    Mono.Never liked the tape method.

6. Member
    Old mono or tape on all my rigs- no differences noted.

7. Member
    Cheap mono

Cheap mono is what I use. I use smallest size Zebco mono that they sell at Wal Mart, I think 4 lb test, just so the connection knot is as small as possible. 600 yards costs something like $1.88, so it's ultra cheap for basically a lifetime supply. This is my choice to save on having to use as much braid vs. filling the entire reel with it like you would if you used tape.

Electrical tape works, but it leaves residue. Self-fusing tape is a much better option if you want to go the tape route, and it's what I use on my ultra-shallow spool reels like my BFS setup, a Daiwa SS Air. It feels exactly like electrical tape, but only sticks to itself so you're not getting goop all over your reels when they're out in hot weather. Any hardware store will sell it, usually next to the duct tape. "Duck" is one brand that makes it for sure.
    2011 Skeeter ZX225
    225 Yamaha HPDI Series 2
    Minn Kota Ultrex 112 52"
    Console: HDS 16 Carbon
    Bow: HDS 12 Carbon, Solix 12 G2, Mega 360, Garmin 106 SV, LVS 34

Use to use electrical but moved to painters tape as it's not as messy (weighs less)and still lets your backing dig in and not slip. Shallower flipping pitching spools I go straight with no backing and next time to spool up I'll leave a small amount of the Fluoro on and uni to uni the new line just to speed up the process a bit.(no re routing through all the guides and spool and new knot) 200 size spools for moving baits I use cheap braid for backing. Aaron Martens trick. Braid weighs less and helps the larger spools that will get more mono or Fluoro on top spool up faster and give some more distance.
    24’Bass Cat Puma Sts-300 Proxs
    23’Gatortrax Gt tunnel hull-200 Suzuki

10. Member
    Zebco line from walmart in 6lb. I like the small line, it lays nice, and doesn't take away from line capacity while still covering the spool

11. Member
    I start with a few feet of mono, connect old braid as backing, and fill rest of the spool with the type/amount of line that matches what I need/intend to use that reel for.

12. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by slipknobber bot View Post
    Zebco line from walmart in 6lb. I like the small line, it lays nice, and doesn't take away from line capacity while still covering the spool
    ^^^this^^^

2012 Stratos 189 VLO/150 Mercury Pro XS/MinnKota Terrova

13. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by slipknobber bot View Post
    I actually use the Zebco 10lb line for backing. I think the last time I bought a spool it was around $2. I spool up halfway and then put braid or floro on. I never fill a full spool with my mainline especially a baitcaster. Just too much wasted money at that point
    1995 Ranger 481v
    1995 Johnson Fast Strike 175hp

I run some CHEAP mono 12# about 15-20 feet then attach braid using a Shin Fukae knot.

Ranger Boats / Mercury Motors
    G Loomis Rods / Shimano Reels
    Raymarine / MinnKota Ultrex
    Garmin / Live Scope Plus
    Pepper Jigs / Robo Worms
    Troll Bridge / V-T2 Vents

I use smaller capacity JDM reels, first off. Then I use a small dia mono as backing for my braid. I shoot for a line diameter close to the same as the braid, though it doesn't really matter. A smaller knot is the goal.
    1994 201 Champ re-powered with a 250 HO G2 E250LHAFA 05438419

16. Scraps
    Quote Originally Posted by jiggerjake View Post
    What type of line do you generally use as backing on your reels to prevent the line from slipping on the spool ? Not sure I want to wrap electrical tape around my spools.
    I'll tie a length of mono to braid, make a couple wraps around the spool, then braid backing the rest of the way. On spinning I saw Chad Hoover use all braid, make one loop and cinch on the spool, then another in the opposite direction, and that holds against slipping. Never liked the e-tape trick cuzz it gets the spool out of balance and adds inertia. Something good about the braid backing is reduced inertia for casting.
    2017 Phoenix 819
    2016 200ProXS, s/n 2B359849, Mod 1200P73BD

Like everyone else here mono.

18. Member
    cheap mono here too.

19. Member
    I use a small piece of two-sided tape, then usually mono backing.

I just tie the braid on, then take 3/4 the width of standard electrical tape by 2.25 inches long, spin the handle while tightly stretching the tape over the knot.

never leaves any residue on the spool cant spin, and since its stretched its thin and doesn't bunch any line up on either side

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast