Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Trailer lug nut torque.

Seems like the guys that did my trailer bearings earlier this year used the air gun to tighten down the lug nuts. If I can ever get them loose, what is the proper ft lbs of torque for 1/2" stud, 20 thread lug nuts? I'm thinking 100 lbs.

2. Member

3. Member
    When I asked Discount Tire they told me 14" trailer tires they torque them to 90 foot pounds.

4. Member
    It also depends on whether the wheels are steel or aluminum. I go tight plus three white knuckles and a grunt with a 1/2" breaker bar. I have air tools but never depend on them for final torque.

I torque the lug nuts on my boat trailer and utility trailer to 95 foot pounds.

My truck lug nuts are 140 foot pounds per the manual.

I carry a Milwaukee Mid-torque Impact Wrench and a torque wrench in my truck.
    2006 Triton TR-21 XD, Mercury 225 Pro XS, S/N 1B287870

Quote Originally Posted by billnorman1 View Post
    It also depends on whether the wheels are steel or aluminum. I go tight plus three white knuckles and a grunt with a 1/2" breaker bar. I have air tools but never depend on them for final torque.
    I'm a one grunt with large 4-way wrench.

7. Member
    85 good on aluminum 100 on steel wheels
    2022 z519 cup 225 merc 4s ser # 3B210484. 2--hds12 live units. 2 poles, atlas plate, ghost, hamby's, active target, merc digital gauges
    2002 basscat pantera 3 (dad bought new) sold 8-2-22
    2000 stratos 20 ss (bought new) 200 hp Rude ficht great boat/motor sold 11-21
    pulled by a 2500HD Denali
    proud dad of an ARMY Captain
    MAGA
    ASE/GM Master tech before tools

My Ranger trail manual recommends 75 ft/lbs. with aluminum rims.

9. Member
    On Sunday, I discovered the tire shop was overzealous with the impact wrench on 1 lug. I broke one 3/8" drive ratchet, and sheared one 3/8" extension, and one 1/2" to 3/8" socket converter and couldn't loosen the lug. Took it back to the shop and had them properly loosen and retorque all lugs. Took 5 minutes. Then went to Lowes to exchange my broken Craftsman tools. Using my cheater bar, I estimate one lug had to be close to 200 ft/lbs. Would have been bad to discover the over tightened lug with a flat tire.

Over torqued lug nuts are dangerous. I lost a wheel on a single axle BassCat trailer that resulted in an interstate accident. I was able to maintain enough control to fight the truck and trailer to the shoulder but the wheel wiped out the side of a Toyota in the next lane.
    All 5 studs were sheared clean with the hub. the guy at the trailer shop said it resulted from over torqued lugs. He said that they were so tight that they were stretched and when they heated up and started to expand they sheared. I don’t know if this explanation accurately describes the reason, but I do know the studs were sheared off and the tires had been recently replaced.
    I had not seen or heard of this in my 50 years of pulling bass boats but I now keep a torque wrench in my tool box.

I try to drive as if my 16 year old Grandson is following me
    Speak as if he is listening and act as if he is watching

11. Member
    The Shorelander trailer manual for my Lund says 90 ft. lb. (13 inch steel wheels)

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Reynolds View Post
    Over torqued lug nuts are dangerous. I lost a wheel on a single axle BassCat trailer that resulted in an interstate accident. I was able to maintain enough control to fight the truck and trailer to the shoulder but the wheel wiped out the side of a Toyota in the next lane.
    All 5 studs were sheared clean with the hub. the guy at the trailer shop said it resulted from over torqued lugs. He said that they were so tight that they were stretched and when they heated up and started to expand they sheared. I don’t know if this explanation accurately describes the reason, but I do know the studs were sheared off and the tires had been recently replaced.
    I had not seen or heard of this in my 50 years of pulling bass boats but I now keep a torque wrench in my tool box.
    Sounds possible to me.
    Had a flat on a horse trailer years ago that took two of us and a cheater pipe with a 4-way to remove.
    Broke two of them off.

13. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Bill Reynolds View Post
    Without a proper failure analysis the only you know for sure is that the studs failed. Examining the studs can tell you how they failed. Shear, twist, overload etc. The heat theory doesn't hold up because fasteners loosen up when heated. The wheel (rim) material would have to expand from the heat at a much greater rate than the fastener in order to fracture the stud. Fatigue from improper torqueing is where I would start. Then verifying that the studs had the proper specification for the work load. Lug studs do stretch and the threads do round over from multiple torqueing cycles. Lug nut threads should pull out before the stud threads if they are specified correctly. Good Luck and always torque!
    2020 VEXUS 1880 Victor Red
    Merc 115 HP Pro XS
    Minn Kota Ultrex 80 I-Link MDI
    Helix 10 MEGA+ MSI
    Helix 9 x 2 MEGA+ MDI
    Live Image FFS
    2021 Aluminum Trailer
    10' Talons w/sandwich brackets

14. Member
    Years ago I had my tires change @ a tire shop and gave the changer a torque wrench to tighten them. He got to the click and kept going. I went to the boss and he explained the correct way to use it. I tighten all my tires to 90 ft lbs.

15. mikesxpress
    Trust no one. Even when Ford does my tire rotations on the truck and car they use that crappy 1/2" Drive Torque Limiting Extension Bar on the air impact. After extended use they fail to achieve the correct torque. I always recheck the torque when I get home.

Quote Originally Posted by mikesxpress View Post
    Trust no one. Even when Ford does my tire rotations on the truck and car they use that crappy 1/2" Drive Torque Limiting Extension Bar on the air impact. After extended use they fail to achieve the correct torque. I always recheck the torque when I get home.
    Yes - - I always check mine. I bought a new boat trailer from Ranger and took a torque wrench when I picked it up. Shortly after leaving the plant, I pulled into a parking lot and checked the lug nut torque. They were Ok but I needed to know for sure.

I try to drive as if my 16 year old Grandson is following me
    Speak as if he is listening and act as if he is watching

17. Member
    100 on my new aluminum wheels...
    1994 Ranger 492VS
    2004 Optimax 225 - 0T920364
    6" Hydro Dynamics Manual Jack Plate
    24p Fury 4
    24v 47" Lowrance Ghost / Lowrance HDS

18. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Bob G. View Post
    I torque the lug nuts on my boat trailer and utility trailer to 95 foot pounds.

My truck lug nuts are 140 foot pounds per the manual.

I carry a Milwaukee Mid-torque Impact Wrench and a torque wrench in my truck.
    This.

19. Member
    I also carry a 3 ton jack so when it happens it is a fast change. I had a tire on my enclosed trailer blow on the drivers side on I-95. and I changed the tire in 15 minutes and it allowed me to safely get it done and out of the danger zone.

20. Member
    I'm surprised no one has mentioned using anti-seize on the studs. I know that can be another long debate between people that do or don't use it. Lug nuts put on to the correct torque spec will always take more torque to remove when corroded.

I do use anti-seize, torque to 100 ft/lbs on my aluminum trailer wheels, then retorque after 50 to 100 miles.
    2008 Ranger Z520 DC 2016 Suzuki 250SS
    1997 Javelin 400TDC 1997 Johnson 200 Venom

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast