Trolling motor mechanic

Anyone know who works on trolling motors preferably south central ok. My ultrex will run then when you step on the button again it does nothing. You can pull the motor up and spin the prop them it will work again. Kind of crazy

2. Electrical/Wiring/Trolling Motors Moderator CatFan's Avatar
    If you have integrity, nothing else matters. If you don't have integrity,
    nothing else matters.​

3. Member
    Nichols marine in Tulsa did the work on my ultrex. Never had another problem with it after they fixed it.

4. Member
    Boat-N-Moore in Moore, OK.

5. Official Lip Ripper' haftafish22's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by timr View Post
    Anyone know who works on trolling motors preferably south central ok. My ultrex will run then when you step on the button again it does nothing. You can pull the motor up and spin the prop them it will work again. Kind of crazy
    you have a burnt up armature. It’s a 15 min fix. Call champion trolling motors. Pm if you need their number. They are in Shawnee area

6. Official Lip Ripper' haftafish22's Avatar
    Any chance you are running lithiums?

7. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by haftafish22 View Post
    Any chance you are running lithiums?
    Just out of curiosity...is this a thing?

8. Official Lip Ripper' haftafish22's Avatar
    Yes, lithiums have been known to cause this issue. From what I was told through a mechanic was that the trolling motors were designed off of lead acids. They have a slow voltage drop through use. With lithiums they are running full voltage constant. The idea, was that running the full voltage during longer duration is burning up the armatures because they are not cooling off as well as when they do with the lower voltage with lead acid if that makes any sense.

maybe my mechanic is wrong but it does make sense and he is seeing more and more armatures burn up from guys running lithiums.

9. Member
    I am actually running lithiums don’t know if it had anything to do with it or not but have the parts coming to get it fixed

10. Member
    I just had one replaced on my Ultrex as well. Boat was a 2021 model so it was covered under warranty. Same symptoms as you describe but I do not have lithiums.

11. Official Lip Ripper' haftafish22's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by okskeetertzx190 View Post
    I just had one replaced on my Ultrex as well. Boat was a 2021 model so it was covered under warranty. Same symptoms as you describe but I do not have lithiums.

yeah it’s not just a lithium problem. I too, had to replace mine recently, but that was just something he brought up while we pulled it apart.