Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
  1. Member
    If you're not sure, then maybe try taking out all the trolling batteries and go run it. That should get you the answer you're looking for.
    2004 Stratos 285 Pro XL 150 Hp Optimax OT862351

I gained no speed... Holeshot - maybe? But I run a Ranger RT188, I don't think there's much performance gains. I can spotlock in current all damn day, though.
    2014 Ranger RT188
    Mercury Fourstroke

3. Losing fish by the pound. CDN Bass's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Fishysam View Post
    No top end gains for me. But holeshot and ride both improved drastically. Also saving pounds will help you with wear and tear and mpg every day. Very small amount but every day and i drive 20,000 miles a year so it probably saves some fuel
    20,000 miles per year on your boat?

OK, you da man!
    Maple syrup... I put that sh*t on everything!
    '09 Stratos 201 XL EVO DC | 250 Pro XS | Razor 4 25P | 6" JP | 10' Talons Gen 2 | 112# Ultrex | Lowrance C12 x 4 | AT | '16 RAM Rebel

4. Member
    ive been told my stratos 201 wouldnt be effected much. It also likes weighed in the back. One of these days if the price goes way down and i live long enough may try.

5. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by WISHBONE999 View Post
    Hard for me to believe but I actually lost 5 mph. I can only assume taking out right at 175 pounds that the boat is not getting as far back on the pad when trimmed up.
    Any thoughts on this from anybody ??
    Maybe because that in a lot of bass boats the batteries are mounted in a location that is aft of the pad running surface, so reducing weight in that location can affect the fulcrum/lever effect designed into the boat.

I have a BC Jag. I have the ionics for the trolling motor. My boat runs better with the gas tanks full. They are rear tanks. It is all about balance and getting the hull out the water. To be fair it only changes the top end a mile or two between full and 1/2 full. Ona positive when the live wells are full hole shot is not an issue thanks to the lithiums.

7. Member
    Holeshot is better

8. BBC SPONSOR
    Performance gains will depend on the hull. Some gain, some lose, some need weight moved around to compensate for the weight loss, and some need setup work afterwards. When you pull 240lbs out of the rear it will change the fulcrum point and you will suddenly have issues lifting the bow.
    Fastbass Marine LLC
    We specialize in NEW and USED ALLISON BOATS, Blazer Boats, Platinum Mercury Marine Repower Center, AquaTraction Flooring, and custom marine electronic installations on beautiful Kentucky and Barkley Lakes.

2022 Allison XB-21 BasSport Pro Elite
    2022 Mercury 450R

2012 Bullet 21ss
    2005 Mercury 300X

https://youtu.be/FOnAGNWOgZ0

I've said this before in other posts ... if your buying Lithiums for the sole purpose of increased speed you are likely to be very disappointed. Learning how to weight transfer your tackle in the boat would be a better idea and going to Lithiums you will have to do that anyway. I put them in my boat for the peace of mind knowing that I will never lose power to any component on my boat, especially in todays bass boats that have more electronics attached than what's inside a Best Buy store !! Being stranded on the water is greatly reduced with a Lithium set up.
    Like others have stated above, your boat is going to handle differently. Each boat is different so each one will have different outcomes. Your hole shot is probably going to be better but your boat is likely to get some stern lift that you have never had before. That will change the performance of the boat.
    I'm not knocking those who choose the wet cell/AGM route, to each their own. Hope you find what best suits your needs ... and your pocketbook.
    2024 Bass Cat Puma STS
    2024 Mercury V8 ProXS 250hp

10. Member
    Hard for me to believe but I actually lost 5 mph. I can only assume taking out right at 175 pounds that the boat is not getting as far back on the pad when trimmed up.
    That is very common, bass boats run best with most of the weight in the rear. Having the front compartments full of tackle, a heavy trolling motor and multiple graphs on the front, then taking 150-200 lbs out of the very back isn't good for performance.

11. Member
    BassCat Sabre lost 1-2 mph. Will likely get them back if I ever fill the live wells.

12. Member
    Most likely a balance issue, most boats are engineered assuming weight from lead/acid trolling motor batteries in the rear.
    losing that much tells me you need more weight in the rear and/or a new prop with more bow lift.

13. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by creekchub View Post
    I never run into an issue with my wet cell batteries out on the lake not having enough power….. trying to find some ways to justify the cost of switching out to lithium batteries….. Is there a noticeable difference in overall TopSpeed on bass boats because of the weight reduction -thinking it could be like 120 pounds for three batteries of less weight? Curious to know if you guys have noticed that happening once they swapped out to the newer /significantly less weighted style batteries? 1-2 mpg or no?
    If you never run out of juice there isn't much justification at all, they MIGHT last longer, but that's still offset by cost. As far as speed, some hulls gain an mph or 2, some lose speed requiring balancing and setup, possibly a new prop. Gaining 1 or 2 or having to do a bunch of set up to get it back doesn't seem to be worthwhile.

14. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by rudapa View Post
    I've got a pair of Powerhouse Lithium 36V 40AH sitting in the garage. I guess I'll find out next Spring since we are only a few days/week or so away from season over here. I added a Powerhouse Lithium 16V dedicated for my graphs and I've been very happy with it. Of course that added weight (5th battery) so no help on boat run performance.
    You’ve got a 16V lithium batt for your graphs?

What graphs are you using?

What size battery?

I’m thinking about doing this for my Garmin Livescope and wondered about supplying more Voltage.

15. Member
    Depends on the boat , I know some it helped in one area and hurt another. One guy had to get his prop reworked and shift tackle in his boat due to the balance thrown off.

Quote Originally Posted by CDN Bass View Post
    20,000 miles per year on your boat?

OK, you da man!
    Lol i think my spine would exit my body, in the pickup i travel with the boat, several sources site adding 100 pounds of load costs on average 0.1 mpg. But i do burn 150 hours a year on the motor. Small amounts yes but do add up over the 10+ years these things should last. Compared to 3 sets of lead batteries the price is similar so now is the time to get into lithium's
    Mercury 250 proxs 2B115089

I ran the numbers when I bought my Ionics (On sale)
    Best I recall at the rate I was going thru lead acid batteries and their replacement cost. It would take me 6.5 - 7 years to cover the cost of trading up to lithium. So, anything after that is free the way I figure.
    Not to mention a couple extra MPH and some fuel savings. The blistering hole shot is another plus.

lower the motor 1/2 inch
    Thank You Leon Pugh

19. Member
    I can feel a big difference between 2 guys in the boat vs 3. So it should be faster.

20. BBC SPONSOR/ Shallow Water Anchors Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by Gambler95 View Post
    You’ve got a 16V lithium batt for your graphs?

What graphs are you using?

What size battery?

I’m thinking about doing this for my Garmin Livescope and wondered about supplying more Voltage.
    I would be happy to go over the 16 volt options with you. Your livescope gls10 box can actually run on up to 28 volts.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast