Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

When the Fed raises interest rates.

Doesn’t this also raise the rate of interest our country we pay on the national debt?

2. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by yatesville88fan View Post
    Doesn’t this also raise the rate of interest our country we pay on the national debt?
    You mean us the tax payers? YES!

3. Member
    Any future debt, yes. Any existing debt, no. US debt is issued in the form of treasury instruments.
    The face value, at issuance, is the determining factor in calculating the ensuing debt owed forward.
    Of course, much debt is "rolled over" since we're a national crisis in respect to spending & budget.

4. Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by TampaJim View Post
    since we're a national crisis in respect to spending.
    Fixed it. Removed the word budget! Not sure you can call it a budget!

According to the Congressional Research Service, Congress has made 98 debt limit modifications since the end of World War II. These include both debt ceiling increases and suspensions, which keep the debt limit firm temporarily. Meanwhile, 17 of those debt limit changes have occurred since 2001.

5. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by keeferfish View Post
    Fixed it. Removed the word budget! Not sure you can call it a budget!
    In modern times, only four years have seen a surplus budget, all of them belonged to President Clinton.
    We shouldn't even have a debate about it. Surplus should be mandated except in a time of war, period.
    Surplus should be =>10% until the national debt is resolved. But that would require proper behavior.

6. Member
    Middle and low incomes are hit the hardest per their income.. I always say raise taxes so everyone takes some hit. Interest rates are nothing to a whole lot of people.

7. Member
    In modern times, only four years have seen a surplus budget, all of them belonged to President Clinton.
    We shouldn't even have a debate about it. Surplus should be mandated except in a time of war, period.
    Surplus should be =>10% until the national debt is resolved. But that would require proper behavior.
    Did the debt clock even slow down during those years?

8. Stocks/Investments Moderator boneil's Avatar

I don't think our debt has variable rate interest. It affects future debt.
    Thanos was the hero

9. Banned
    Surplus should be mandated except in a time of war, period.

10. Member
    I agree and President Clinton had a GOP Congress

11. Member
    I agree and President Clinton had a responsible Congress
    FIFY ... the minute we stop labeling and start holding EVERYONE accountable, we will fix things.
    Of course, that sure wouldn't be profitable in DC, Tallahassee, Charleston, etc. Let's work on it.

12. Member

Thumbs Up

FIFY ... the minute we stop labeling and start holding EVERYONE accountable, we will fix things.
    Of course, that sure wouldn't be profitable in DC, Tallahassee, Charleston, etc. Let's work on it.

13. Member
    Thank you Newt.
    ________
    $8

14. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by n2ratfishin View Post
    Did the debt clock even slow down during those years?
    Math isn't my strong suit but i'm not sure how you can call something a surplus if there is still debt.

15. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by D.O.C. 989 View Post
    Math isn't my strong suit but i'm not sure how you can call something a surplus if there is still debt.
    Only works with Gubbment math. Politicians went to the Wesley Mouch school of math.

16. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by n2ratfishin View Post
    Only works with Gubbment math. Politicians went to the Wesley Mouch school of math.
    Yep if a budget isn’t raised then they say there is a cut in the budget.

17. Member
    Surplus funds are used to pay down the debt, it's not just about stopping the bleed.
    Of course, we've been going steady into the darkness since 2002, two decades even.
    We must remove deductions & exemptions, use funds to pay off the national debt.
    But it won't work if we don't mandate a surplus budget as long as we are indebted.
    Once the national debt is zero, taxes can be reduced to offset any excesses, simple.

18. Member
    Debt is what we owe on all past expenditures and a surplus means less was spent in one year than was collected in taxes that same year.

Yes. Thanks Newt!
    No one can be wrong that often so it has to be deliberate.

20. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by OBT View Post
    Yes. Thanks Newt!

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast