Thread: BFS rod?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

BFS rod?

What would be a good BFS rod to pair with a Shimano alderberan bfs? Thanks in advance

2. USAF and DOD retired Phoenix Jim's Avatar
    The dobyns bfs rod!
    2018 Phoenix 920 Pro XP

3. Member
    ALX Aura.

4. Member
    I have more high end rods than any one man should have, that being said, for BFS, I really like the Kuying Teton TTC602LS. Cheap and you can get it on Alibaba.
    2022 Ranger Z520R, 2022 Mercury 250 ProXS 4s
    Dual 16” Lowrance Live’s at console, 12” Live with Active Target, Garmin 8612 and Livescope, and Humminbird 12” Mega 360 at the bow
    Lowrance Ghost TM

5. Member
    What is this BFS you speak of ?

6. Member
    Bass Finesse System (BFS) - Just like Light/Ultra Light Rods.

Example: Dobyns: https://dobynsrods.com/the-dobyns-si...asting-series/

Quote Originally Posted by yatesville88fan View Post
    What is this BFS you speak of ?
    Bait Finesse System created in Japan to downsize everything, bait, line, rod, and reel.

8. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by cbburke74 View Post
    Bass Finesse System (BFS) - Just like Light/Ultra Light Rods.

Example: Dobyns: https://dobynsrods.com/the-dobyns-si...asting-series/
    Bait Finesse System (BFS)…it’s by far not only a bass technique, use it for crappie, sunfish, and trout regularly.
    2019 Ford F-150 Platinum (3.5EcoBoost/10spd)
    **Listed FOR SALE**2014 Ranger Z119C w/ Evinrude ETEC 225HO Running Croxton’s Razor 4XL 25P
    Helix 12 Mega G2N’s with Ultrex
    Think like a fish, no matter how weird it gets

9. Member
    12 lb is as light as I go on line. Don’t fish in gin clear water so I am out.

10. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by gaston13 View Post
    Bait Finesse System created in Japan to downsize everything, bait, line, rod, and reel.
    or otherwise known as a way to justify finesse rods because some don’t like the connotation of spinning reels. It’s just a UL to ML baitcast setup.

A BFS ML rod is the same blank as a ML spinning rod. The main difference between the two is the reel. Spinning reels:
    -have a superior drag over BFS especially for running fish and light wire hooks
    -allow the bait to drop vertically on specific targets. BFS/casting reels pendulum the bait towards the person due to the resistance on the reel and the person stopping the spool
    -let line out much faster without chance of backlash for dropshotting especially important when fishing a dropshot in current and video game fishing.

IMO BFS is definitely not a replacement for a quality spinning setup but there are some techniques where BFS performs just as well as like weightless plastics, ned rigs, finesse swimbaits etc.. It’s just a new fad to make fishing fun and that’s what it’s all about.

I definitely wouldn’t replace my spinning gear for BFS that’s for sure but I’d use some just fun fishing. But I’m also up north where we learn on spinning tackle. You guys down south are born with baitcasters in your hand
    1995 Ranger 481v
    1995 Johnson Fast Strike 175hp

11. Member
    I built a couple on the lighter Point Blank blanks. Really nice BFS rods when paired with an Aldebaran. Incredibly light.

12. Member
    https://alxrods.com/collections/oxim...ft-casting-rod

https://www.tacklewarehouse.com/Shim...page-CRBF.html

I just got the ALX OXIM Craft and Shimano Curado BFS reel that I intend to use for Crappie. I have a few spinning reels for this but prefer bait caster reels.

I have the dang flu right now and have not tested this new rig, but looks and feels awesome!
    JT

2014 Ranger Z521C / Yamaha VMAX SHO 250 / IONIC Batteries
    Garmin 57” Force TM, ECHOMAP Ultra 106sv’s, LVS34

13. Expert at Retired RangrSkipr's Avatar
    My post asking about BFS rods got absolutely no traction so I'm going to delete it and follow yours

Quote Originally Posted by ECobb91 View Post
    or otherwise known as a way to justify finesse rods because some don’t like the connotation of spinning reels. It’s just a UL to ML baitcast setup.

A BFS ML rod is the same blank as a ML spinning rod. The main difference between the two is the reel. Spinning reels:
    -have a superior drag over BFS especially for running fish and light wire hooks
    -allow the bait to drop vertically on specific targets. BFS/casting reels pendulum the bait towards the person due to the resistance on the reel and the person stopping the spool
    -let line out much faster without chance of backlash for dropshotting especially important when fishing a dropshot in current and video game fishing.

IMO BFS is definitely not a replacement for a quality spinning setup but there are some techniques where BFS performs just as well as like weightless plastics, ned rigs, finesse swimbaits etc.. It’s just a new fad to make fishing fun and that’s what it’s all about.

I definitely wouldn’t replace my spinning gear for BFS that’s for sure but I’d use some just fun fishing. But I’m also up north where we learn on spinning tackle. You guys down south are born with baitcasters in your hand
    As someone who has taken up some BFS setups, I have to say I agree with every bit of this. It’s def not a replacement for a spinning reel imo with vertical presentations or when you need the free fall a spinning reel provides in a cast. But for ned rigs and throwing little swimbaits etc, it’s a really fun and efficient way to fish. I love having straight 7lb fluoro and not having any line issues whatsoever. It’s the only way I throw a ned now. But drop shot and damiki rig I can’t get rid of my spinning setups. Deep finesse swimbaiting still goes to my spinning setups as well

15. Member
    I have 7'6" Kuying Super Lite for BFS rod loads a 2g total weight jighead/paddle tail easily.
    I think of BFS as 1/8oz total weight and below so a trd ned rig at 6g or more to me isnt BFS any low profile reel can throw it.

[IMG]IMG_5257 by r w, on Flickr[/IMG]

16. Member
    Lots of good info guys

17. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by tuck 1 View Post
    What would be a good BFS rod to pair with a Shimano alderberan bfs? Thanks in advance
    Check out the Rods and Reels form on the main board, i posted the same questions and got some good info, check it out.

18. Member

19. Member
    Maybe not what you would want to pair with an expensive Shimano BFS reel, and likely banned on the BBC, but I like the cheap wild orange 7' lite carrot stix with my cheap BFS reel. https://www.ebay.com/itm/17261716839...item2830c8f60f

Dobyns BFS rod, incredible rod, my seven footer weighs in 3.7 ounces.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast