360 interference

Changed out my Ultrex last week with my spare. Fired up both units on the front and the 360 had major inference went in and changed the noise filter to 2 and turned on the dynamic contrast it cleared it up it is still not as clear as it was before. The previous setting, I ran were 1 on the noise filter and the dynamic contrast was turned off. No issues with the other graph. Gen 4 for the 360 and the other one is a Gen 3. I never had this issue with the previous Ultrex

Are you getting cross-talk or RFI from the trolling motor?
    Wayne Purdum
    Charlottesville, Va.
    Helix 12 CHIRP MEGA+ SI G3N/G4N, Helix 15 CHIRP MEGA SI+ GPS G4N
    SOLIX 12 SI/G3, Helix 8 CHIRP MEGA SI+ G4N, Ultrex 80/LINK, MEGA360,
    MEGA LIVE, LIVE TL

3. Member
    Wayne
    when you hit the power its what I would say RFI. let off the power and it clears up

OK, no two motors are the same. Two made after each other on the assembly line will be different and one can broadcast RFI on the frequency/s that the unit uses and the other not.
    To start, check the fuse in the top of the motor and re-route the transducer cables away from the trolling motor power cable.
    Wayne Purdum
    Charlottesville, Va.
    Helix 12 CHIRP MEGA+ SI G3N/G4N, Helix 15 CHIRP MEGA SI+ GPS G4N
    SOLIX 12 SI/G3, Helix 8 CHIRP MEGA SI+ G4N, Ultrex 80/LINK, MEGA360,
    MEGA LIVE, LIVE TL

5. Member
    probably 3 yrs difference between motors. I do have one other question why does it only effect the graph with the 360 and not the other graph? Both are helix 12 I have everything running in a troll tamer sleeve
    Last edited by Montgomery; 12-05-2022 at 02:58 PM.

6. Member
    So it has to be the trolling motor. Just put the repaired trolling motor back on and no issues with interference on the 360. So going to take the old one in and see if there is an issue with the armature or the brushes

Good luck trying to solve this. Hope you have better luck than I have. I am going on three years now and have tried every suggestion and trick that I can think of, to the point of replacing my trolling motor with a new one and I STILL live with the interference. Spent countless hours on the phone with HB multiple times and have not been able to eliminate the issue. I have pretty much just given up and just live with the mess. Frustrating to have thousands invested in this equipment and have these issues. This year I decided to add a live scope and because of the issues with interference with the HB product and HB's inability to help me resolve it, I decided to go with Garmin Livescope instead of Mega Live. No way was I going to invest hundreds of more dollars in equipment that would most likely have the exact same interference issues.

8. Member
    Did you ever try a ground wire from the trolling motor housing to ground on the starting battery? Knock on wood with having had four different trolling motors on my boat not one have I had interference on my two Helix 12s Gen 3`s and Mega 360.

Quote Originally Posted by TomP. View Post
    Did you ever try a ground wire from the trolling motor housing to ground on the starting battery? Knock on wood with having had four different trolling motors on my boat not one have I had interference on my two Helix 12s Gen 3`s and Mega 360.
    That did not work for me. Nothing I tried eliminated the RFI.

10. Member
    I had similar issue. Steer ultrex or operate with foot switch & Mega 360 picture would "wash out" but not like the early wagon wheel effect. Tried isolating cables, isolating battery charger, several ferrite rings, shielded 10 guage power wire to units & 360 , reset defaults, etc. No change. In act of desperation went into menus & simply changed all transducer frequencies & set back to where they were after doing restore defaults. Basically changed everything I could & set it back. Did it on all units .Next trip out everything worked as it should & has stayed operating correctly since. I don't understand why it worked & neither did a service center tech. My setup is 3 Helix 12 g3n, ultrex I pilot link, Mega 360 with all on network. No guarantees it will work for you but give it a try. Have added Mega live & Helix 10 since & all still ok.

11. Member
    Fishshooter, could you go a little more into what you reset on units. Have had same thing on my 2 g3n 12’s. Have do all you mentioned still get interference every time I touch trolling motor. Also have 360 , interfence on on side and 360. Down has none. Any help appreciated.

12. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Bee 1001 View Post
    Fishshooter, could you go a little more into what you reset on units. Have had same thing on my 2 g3n 12’s. Have do all you mentioned still get interference every time I touch trolling motor. Also have 360 , interfence on on side and 360. Down has none. Any help appreciated.
    Wish I could remember everything I did change & then set back but here goes what I recall. Did not have interference on regular or mega down sonar , just mega 360 when steering or running Ultrex. Restored factory defaults on all 3 helix units, went into settings on front 2 units & changed selected transducers & set back to factory defaults. Changed chirp frequencies & set back to default. Also had 360 in a bucket of water & powered on, ultrex powered on while doing this so network would see everything connected & I could verify network operating. Seems like I also had a menu for mega 360 that also had frequency settings that was not visible unless 360 wet & operating. May have been to do with using 360 as side imaging but don't recall. I am not a computer genius by any means & just tried everything I could find & got lucky. Also this was before I did multiple helix updates so menus I seen then may be different than what they are after updates. If you try these things & it doesn't work, feel free to send me a pm & we can talk on phone. Hopefully someone better versed than me in Helix talk may be able to help as well. I know how frustrating it is to spend money on this stuff & it not work as expected either due to operator error or some unknown glitch that even the factory has not seen. Good luck to anyone having issues. Hope this info somehow helps.