Question Split Screen with Active Target

Just bought and in the process of installing two Live 12's (one for the console and one for the bow) and AT. Should have everything finalized and plugged in after I get my heavy gauge power wires from Amazon Thursday.

I know in the past, a split screen with AT would lead to the AT panel having black margins of wasted space. If you look at Lowrance's website for the Elite FS, it shows a thee panel screen with no margins on the AT panel. Did the recent software update eliminate the margins?

If anyone is interested in some G3N Birds, DM me.
    TRB

2016 Skeeter ZX 250
    Minn Kota Ultrex
    Helm: HDS Live
    Bow: HDS Live with AT1

I could be wrong, but I thought I read somewhere that the 12's and 16's don't have the margins problem. However, the 9's do. It's one of the reasons I'm getting another unit for my bow. One for just AT, where I'll get a Full Screen, and the second for the map screen, or 2D and Down Scan if I want.
    No one can be wrong that often so it has to be deliberate.

The 12’s and 16’s will have the margins problem. Apparently the image is distorted too much if the screens are split any other way.

4. Member
    You will have the black margin problem on split screen due to the ratio aspect. I gripped about it when it first came out and there is no fix for it. You can adjust the size of the splits and it will help about a half inch or so but still won’t fill the box. AT is fine with a stand-alone dedicated screen, guess you better pick up another new live 12 while they’re still around and priced right.

5. Member
    There’s gotta be a way for the software developers to do a split screen with the same ratio that doesn’t require the margins. They’re acting like humminbird on this.
    TRB

2016 Skeeter ZX 250
    Minn Kota Ultrex

On my 16 I just active target and map split. If I adjust the split and make the map the tiniest sliver of the screen that is possible. So like like 90% active target and 10% map the active target will be the full screen with no black margins. I don’t have a 12” but maybe it will work like that with the 12” also.

2023 Ford F150 XLT Super Crew 2.7L Ecoboost FX4
    2021 Phoenix 721/ Mercury 250 ProXS 4s
    HDS16 Pro- Solix15 : Console
    HDS16 Pro W/AT - Garmin 126 W/ lvs34 - Solix12/ 360 : Bow
    Dual 10' Blades/ Lowrance Ghost/ Bobs Hydraulic Plate
    290ah cranking / 100ah trolling. Miller tech/Ionic/Relion lithium

MLF Invitationals Angler
    Instagram @brettcarnright

7. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by haus9393 View Post
    On my 16 I just active target and map split. If I adjust the split and make the map the tiniest sliver of the screen that is possible. So like like 90% active target and 10% map the active target will be the full screen with no black margins. I don’t have a 12” but maybe it will work like that with the 12” also.
    It does work that way. I make the map the same width as the menu then slide the menu closed and its perfect. I only use that for fishing a waypoint. Then when I am on the waypoint and fishing for a while I hit a configurable button that expands the AT screen. When I am ready to move to the next waypoint hit the button and the map is back.

8. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by haus9393 View Post
    With the technology as it is today you should not have to make a split screen box as small as possible for sonar, map, etc in order for the split that is AT to fill its box more. AT should fill its box no matter what size it is.

9. Member
    Its an aspect ratio issue. If you stretch the Active Target sonar image to fill the space, then you are stretching the information inside of the image. Meaning your fish, structure, etc. may no longer look like fish or structure. By making the Active Target data not a size that matches up in both height and width you are by default making the image look worse.

So if you want your Active Target to look as good as it can, then you need to use letter boxes around the data when it is in a panel that does not match up to its aspect ratio. If you stretch it horizontally or vertically to fit the space, then you lose definition.

10. Member
    @SonarNinja are you not distorting the aspect ratio if you set the depth to 60' and the horizontal range to 20'?
    TRB

2016 Skeeter ZX 250
    Minn Kota Ultrex

You can easily adjust the box sizes to fit the size AT you want without wasting space under adjust splits. Pick the layout, adjust the box sizes and your good.