Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
  1. Member
    IMO it sounds like a maintenance issue more than a line quality issue to me. If it is at the knot, then you need to tie a better knot. If it is a couple inches above your knot, then your hooks and bill may be beating up that portion and you need to retie more. If it is breaking about 5-6' up from your knot then you could be damaging your line during storage with the tip top of the rod. If it is randomly breaking at the spool then backlashes are causing damage and eventually breaking.

2. Member
    It's not the line. Try the Sandiego jam knot as previously mentioned just to rule out burning the knot. If you don't find a bad rod eye.

3. Member
    Palomar Knot doesn't break when tied right, no twist, wet and cinch, it's all I use.
    Kyle

2010 Nitro Z-7

PB: 11 lbs, 1 oz

4. Member
    I throw my jerkbaits on 8 pound test Daiwa Samurai Fluro with my baitcasting outfits and absolutely love it!

As others have stated, you aren't really tying the best knot for fluorocarbon. Palomar knots burn fluorocarbon lines and weaken them which is why you are breaking them above the hook...that is where the line is burning as you are pulling the knot tight.

I use an improved clinch knot most of the time because I can tie it fast. A san diego jam knot is good and a quick one to tie as well. Either way, make sure you wet the knot liberally so it is well lubricated to prevent line burn.

Retie often. I know it sounds overkill, but if you snag a bait or catch a fish, I recommend retying.

If you do end up looking at different lines, I highly recommend using sunline sniper fc as it is a thinner diameter than comparable lines which help it run deeper. I also recommend this line over invisx as invisx line has more stretch than monofilament and I feel like it impacts my hookup percentage negatively as a result.

6. Member
    This may be obvious, but check all your eyelets on your rod. I had one rod that line would just randomly snap and away the lure would go. One day I just glanced at it and noticed a nick in the tip eyelet. Fixed that, never had an issue after that. Its a weird thing, but I look now whenever I have that happen.

I use InVizx exclusively for all my Fluorocarbon applications and have never had an issue. Landed a nice 6.52 on a crankbait with 10lb InVizx during my AFFL tournament Saturday.
    Woody

8. Member
    My first Megabass Vision 110 I bought succumbed to 10lb fluro. Watched $25 saii through the air to where I have no idea. Could still be in orbit. That is the reason I went to P-Line Fluroclear 10lb. No problems since.

9. Member
    I use sniper 10lb test. No issues at all and I throw a jerkbait all year long.
    Roger Jenks Jr
    2021 Bass Cat Lynx
    250 Pro xs 4S Serial # 3B010758

10. Member
    10 lb Trilene 100% fluorocarbon tied with a Trilene knot. Guarantee that problem will go away. I am not a fan of Seguar fluorocarbon.

Quote Originally Posted by btown View Post
    It's not the line. Try the San Diego Jam Knot as previously mentioned just to rule out burning the knot. If you don't find a bad rod eye.
    This ^^ And always, regardless of the knot, moisten it well before pulling it tight.
    No one can be wrong that often so it has to be deliberate.

12. Member
    I used to use Cabela's premium I got in bulk years ago. But when I ran out of 10#, went to Yo Zuri top knot years ago, when ordering some Yo Zuri sashimi suspending jerkbaits years ago. And was happy with it. I broke off a few times a year. But it was because a bass would pull me into the different wood around. Never broke off trying to cast with it. Definitely know the feeling. Because over the years I have with different baits on different lines.

13. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by OBT View Post
    This ^^ And always, regardless of the knot, moisten it well before pulling it tight.
    This and this. Palomar is the worst for Fluro.

14. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Jwags13 View Post
    I use 10lb test fluro on my jerkbait set up mostly because I want to be able to get my jerkbait as deep as possible. But I'm constantly having issues with the 10lb fluro breaking. It mostly happens when I make a cast and the jerkbait snaps off a goes flying to infinity. I would love to jump to 12lb but I feel I need to stay at 10lb to get my jerkbait deeper in summer situations. Can anyone recommend their 10lb fluro of choice for this application? Also ideas of why my 10lb keeps breaking? Probably because I'm not taking the time to re-tie? Or can anyone recommend a small diameter 12lb I could try? Thanks in advance.

First off, why do you think 10lb fluoro will get your jerkbait deeper. This is true for crankbaits because of line drag but 30 yards 12lb fluoro is heavier than 30 yards of 10lb so your jerkbait might suspend deeper. Some fluoro are more sensitive to shock than others. Choose one with more elasticity.

15. Scraps
    I'd get rid of the palomar. I've had too many knots break over the years. It's "iffy" to get a palomar just right. The double pitzen or shark knot. Pitzen a little easier. I have a tough time shoving the line back through (especially with light line) above the eye with the shark knot. Though I do like the knot. Pitzen has the loop at the top and easier to tie - for my dense, uncoordinated German mitts.
    2017 Phoenix 819
    2016 200ProXS, s/n 2B359849, Mod 1200P73BD

16. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Jwags13 View Post
    It's mostly breaking about 1in up from knot. The only reason I know this is because of the jerkbaits I did find the knot was there and about .5-1in of line still there. The rod I use is Denali lithium jerkbait rod.
    Maybe check your tip guide for a chip. Line just doesn’t break on a cast unless it’s damaged.

12lb Sunline Sniper and a San Diego Jam Knot is money

18. Member
    I've primarily used Invizx 10 lb for jerkbaits and most cranking, but I have also used Abrazx and Tatsu. Tatsu was incredible but still had some problems breaking off here and there. Not sure how old the spool was, I guess no one can ever really know though. Abrazx has been awesome, just doesn't remain as supple/soft as the others for quite as long.

19. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by RFSims View Post
    My first Megabass Vision 110 I bought succumbed to 10lb fluro. Watched $25 saii through the air to where I have no idea. Could still be in orbit. That is the reason I went to P-Line Fluroclear 10lb. No problems since.
    I know how u feel. Almost every time one snaps off it most always a mega bass. I do throw that brand probably 85% of the time for jerkbaits but its funny how it's never a 10$ Rapala or strike king. Always a megabass. It's hurt my wallet for sure.

20. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by dwtaylor View Post
    As others have stated, you aren't really tying the best knot for fluorocarbon. Palomar knots burn fluorocarbon lines and weaken them which is why you are breaking them above the hook...that is where the line is burning as you are pulling the knot tight.

I use an improved clinch knot most of the time because I can tie it fast. A san diego jam knot is good and a quick one to tie as well. Either way, make sure you wet the knot liberally so it is well lubricated to prevent line burn.

Retie often. I know it sounds overkill, but if you snag a bait or catch a fish, I recommend retying.

If you do end up looking at different lines, I highly recommend using sunline sniper fc as it is a thinner diameter than comparable lines which help it run deeper. I also recommend this line over invisx as invisx line has more stretch than monofilament and I feel like it impacts my hookup percentage negatively as a result.
    I got ya. A lot of replies similar but I think u basically summed them all up. I'll definitely try a new knot and I need to re-tie more often. Off to YouTube I go to learn new knot.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast