Thread: Coach Prime

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
  1. Member
    Full disclosure: I grew up an athlete and played through college (wrestling & baseball) and I never liked Deion Sanders! Couldn't stand the way he always made things about himself when he was part of a team. I watched this video and found myself thinking yea, come on Deion come to Colorado and see me! I felt energized, I felt challenged, and I felt pissed off too. I liked his approach! I want to call Deion and say, "I'm coming!"

2005 Champion 198 DC Elite
    2005 Mercury Optimax-225hp (Serial#1B073011)

2. Member
    Deion is a smart guy, and I think while Colorado seemed like an odd choice it could work out great. USC and UCLA are leaving the conference, Stanford is in shambles and Cal has been mediocre to bad for a long time. I think that California will be wide open for recruiting, and playing for Deion a little closer to home vs an SEC school or USC/UCLA where all the road games will be across the country.
    2020 Nitro Z20 Pro Package

Dripping Springs, Texas and Wahpeton, Iowa
    CU has brought in a lot of "Miracle Worker Coaches" over the years that didn't win as expected. Deion has the advantage of the Transfer Portal to work with plus he can sell prospective players that they can have a better path to the NFL in his program instead of languishing on the Depth Charts waiting to play at Bama or another school with a lot of depth.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Perry View Post
    Those missed tackles were business decisions....

I didn't agree with what he said about the portal but I appreciate his honesty to his new team about it....as long as he wins at this level he'll compete nationally for recruits...if he doesn't win consistently though then he'll be looking for another job... Colorado hasn't been relevant since the 90s have they? Early 00s maybe...
    MattandAmber Lawler on Facebook
    Matt Lawler HF on Facebook
    matt_lawler_hf on Instagram

"There ain't a price on stupid. Stupid comes for free."

Jonathan Hillstrand

6. Member
    We will find out how much he likes snow.

7. Member
    I wonder what he was thinking standing there in front of those guys? Best record in last 5 years is 5-7 and that was four years ago. He had to be thinking he was addressing a room full of players that most of them he was probably going to want to see gone in favor of his future recruits. I am sure there are a few standouts, but how much of that losing record was just lack of talent because the real talents coming out of high school never even considered Colorado?

Seems to me his strongest asset at this point is name recognition for recruiting star high schoolers who aren't going to the big time teams already. Im interested to see what that team W/L record looks like in 3 years. By then it will really be his program, win or lose.

8. Shutterbug Forum Moderator bdog7198's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Toni View Post
    I wonder what he was thinking standing there in front of those guys? Best record in last 5 years is 5-7 and that was four years ago. He had to be thinking he was addressing a room full of players that most of them he was probably going to want to see gone in favor of his future recruits. I am sure there are a few standouts, but how much of that losing record was just lack of talent because the real talents coming out of high school never even considered Colorado?

Seems to me his strongest asset at this point is name recognition for recruiting star high schoolers who aren't going to the big time teams already. Im interested to see what that team W/L record looks like in 3 years. By then it will really be his program, win or lose.
    That is basically the jist of the talk he gave the team, video is online. Telling them the culture there will stop, people to not appreciate what they have in front of them, kids around the country would love to have the opportunity they have. But they fail to appreciate it and that will change. Told the players if they cannot do what it takes to appreciate it they can jump in the transfer portal, the more of them leave the more openings he has.
    Prints and more available at: http://BSPhotography.co/
    Digital downloads available at: https://licensing.pixels.com/profiles/1-brian-shoemaker
    IG: BSPhotographyZ9

9. Member
    funny how its a business decision on some folks an on others its weak effort.

Dripping Springs, Texas and Wahpeton, Iowa

That’s a realistic and accurate summation of the situation I will be watching right along with you.

11. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Tone357 View Post
    When a coach brings in his son to play QB, around these parts, it's called "daddy ball." It usually doesn't work well and causes dissension among the other players.
    Then those players are the ones that need to leave. Have you seen the passing numbers for CU the last few years?

12. Member

My grandsons played high school basketball at a perrenial top 4 Level 1 Ct state program. Football and baseball included. One of the former players is on the Giants this year. It was understood that you were fodder for the kids who were recruited and groomed. They competed for top inner city talent with the Catholic schools. It was an honor to be in the program. Both the kids benefitted from the experience knowing they had little chance of Varsity action. They worked harder to be competitive and refined.

Former UConn coach Jim Calhoun was coaching at a small local college. I was telling my daughter to try to impress on the older grandson the idea of trying to go walk on at the school. Even one year working in the ora of a great coach rubs off on young men. Could you imagine how influential Sanders has been to his JSU players? I spent 20 minutes one on one with the football coach at my hometown high school. I was 12 at the time hanging out at the local park where I was a rat all summer long as a kid. He showed me how to play setback. He also influenced me in ways I couldnt explain at the time. He transcended an attitude to win and work hard and altered my life in 20 minutes. I never met him again but looked forward to playing high school ball. He passed away my freshman year. The new coach was from a military school and his appeal was limited in scope. The kids I grew up with refused to play. We played a lot of sandlot ball. Senior year after the regular season for the high schools ended we played them without pads as well as the local Catholic school and won both games.
    Last edited by mattmann7; 12-06-2022 at 10:04 AM.

13. Member
    He only has 7 or 8 scholarships left for next season. He won’t be bringing in much luggage unless he can get some to leave. Schools only get so many full time rides. Nobody leaves he will struggle for a few till those flush out who are on the team now.
    92 492vs. 92 Suzuki 225 EFI

14. Member
    I'll bet he fills their stadium next year with high hopes. That in itself will be a boost to Colorado's financial situation.
    2001 ChampioN 206 Yamaha 225

15. Member
    I did like that he put the kids on notice that weren't performing, they need that accountability. They have first class facilities that other kids would dream of at smaller schools. Time to sh!t or get off the pot Buffaloes lol
    Kyle

2010 Nitro Z-7

PB: 11 lbs, 1 oz

16. Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by milligjg View Post
    I'll bet he fills their stadium next year with high hopes.

But of course..

When does 'recreational psilocybin' kick in for "out of towners"? Phun Spores would top off a BoastMan's Holiday even better than that CBD cream

17. SC Club Moderator ChampioNman's Avatar
    He may be a bit crazy,,,he hired Willie Taggart!!!

18. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by ChampioNman View Post
    He may be a bit crazy,,,he hired Willie Taggart!!!
    Willie is fine as an assistant.

19. SC Club Moderator ChampioNman's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by TampaJim View Post
    Willie is fine as an assistant.
    Terrible hire for FSU

20. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by ChampioNman View Post
    Terrible hire for FSU
    I am glad the Free Willy days are behind FSU.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast