Removing Electronics During The Winter This Could Change My Mind

Have always been a believer, remove electronics from the boat during Minnesota winters. This is from the manual and specs of Lowrance Gen 3 12" screen.

Operating Temperature Range5°F to 131°F (-15°C to 55°C )
    Storage Temperature Range-40°F to 185°F (-40°C to 85°C )

Just might change my mind....

2. Scraps
    No. Remove them. Save yourself some unknown aggravation. Eliminate the possibility.
    2017 Phoenix 819
    2016 200ProXS, s/n 2B359849, Mod 1200P73BD

3. Tin Boats Moderator Pokie Pa's Avatar
    I remove the unit on the bow…. I leave the unit in the dash. I keep the sun cover on the cockpit unit and the boat has its cover on it and stored in a un heated garage
    Tim Messer ~ Lake Ariel, Pa.
    US Army 1968 ~ 1971

2019 Ranger RT188 ~ Merc PRO XS ~ MK Ultrex

4. Member
    I'm lucky enough to live where I can fish year round. If I didn't I'd remove mine. Leaving them outside probably won't hurt anything, but they aren't hard to remove. It may get cold enough to pull apart an almost good connection inside that would never be a problem otherwise.

5. Member
    My flush mounting carbon has seen negative temps more than a few times over the 4 years i have had it. No issues to this point but I would remove if it was easier to do but Im not dealing with that.

6. Member
    It is not the low temp in itself you need to worry about, it is the change in temp. Especially around 0-5 degrees Celsius you get humidity, and that is never a good thing. I leave my flush-mount in the boat, the rest I take indoors for the winter (as I store my boat outside). I use the same units for icefishing though, the coldest I have used HDS was -31C, -24F, and apart from my fingers being to cold to work the touchscreen, everything worked as it should.

7. Member
    Boat is stored in heated garage with sun covers on units and cover thrown over it. Temp never gets below 40 in the garage in winter.

8. Member
    Should really be a none issue, you know the back of the ups truck is not heated as they move them across the country.

Now if you are worried about theft or snow/water weight when stored outside I would then remove them..
    2019 z18 175 ProXs 4 stroke, DC, 10 Ft Power Pole Blades, Relion lithium batteries, Ghost trolling motor, Lowrance Live's, SS structure, Airmar TM150, Vessel View Link, PowerPole Charge.

9. Member
    Hello Gary, I find this question more relevant to the other forum you posted it on. Here most of these guys (with the exception of Team Colibri and fellow Minnesotans) shutter at the thought of -40F.

10. Mid-West Rally Moderator rudapa's Avatar
    My insulated unheated garage fluctuates between 32 and 55 degrees over the winter. It only gets to 32 rarely when it is -10 or lower outside. My graphs have always been fine (knock on wood). My Powerhouse lithium app says its 51 degrees out there now, but it's only 32 outside this AM and the lake isn't frozen completely yet, so I'm going fishing a little later.

11. Member
    We ice fish with kur Lowrance on our snowmobiles in -30F. Never had a problem with them running, other than fingers being too cold for the touch screen, like Colibri mentioned above.
    Aaron Cavanaugh
    FishinFreaks
    Rogers, MN

12. Member
    I ice fish and have never had an issue down to below 0. With that said thermal expansion and contraction in these extreme conditions is just hard on things. If you have the option I dont know why you wouldnt just take the units off and store in a reasonable temperature.