ML in deep waters

Hi guys,

Any of you have experience and tips for best settings for using ML in forward mode in deeper waters? I am fishing a crystal clear lake. I fish it at depths of 30-40ft deep. What is your recommendation for the angle of the transducer (i think less than 60degr??) and are there any settings that are specifically important for this deeper water?

2. Member
    My local lake is deep clear one and I Vertical fish for Suspended fish in deep water. I usually have 30 degree angle in Forward with 20 sensitivity and 15-16 contrast. I can see my Drop shot or Dimiki from splash down to 50-60 feet but have to really work to keep the bait directly in the ML cone which can be tricky.

3. Member
    I use 50 degrees set to forward with 8 on sensitivity and 12 on contrast and pallet 8. Here is a pic. You can see a fish

73709087-6381-436D-A9DC-424F24458CE6.jpeg
    2021 Skeeter ZX225
    2021 Yamaha SHO 225 VF225LA

4. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by RonH54 View Post
    My local lake is deep clear one and I Vertical fish for Suspended fish in deep water. I usually have 30 degree angle in Forward with 20 sensitivity and 15-16 contrast. I can see my Drop shot or Dimiki from splash down to 50-60 feet but have to really work to keep the bait directly in the ML cone which can be tricky.
    looks good! any idea what kind of fish and size that was to put the size of the signal in perspective?

Are you sure you didn't switch sens and contrast numbers? I always thought for clear waters sens should be turned up higher then 10 and contract lower then 10.

5. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Karpertje View Post
    looks good! any idea what kind of fish and size that was to put the size of the signal in perspective?

Are you sure you didn't switch sens and contrast numbers? I always thought for clear waters sens should be turned up higher then 10 and contract lower then 10.
    Not really can say I can tell size of fish or species. I might be able to check on that this spring when I surface fish for walleye. I will check on Contrast setting but I do know I got Sensitivity all the way up. I did some surface fishing in late summer and had Forward on 60 and Turned Contrast Up to help me see my bait hit water and watch retrieve out to 70 ft.

6. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Karpertje View Post

If you're talking about the picture above most of the fish I was catching there were Spotted/Kentucky Bass and were around 14-15 inches. The lake is Lake Ouachita in central Arkansas. The sensitivity and contrast are correct. After the latest messed up update I had to completely switch my settings. I'm pretty much a set it and forget it type of guy and those settings work pretty much year round and in all depths. The only changes I will make is the down range setting depending on the depth.
    2021 Skeeter ZX225
    2021 Yamaha SHO 225 VF225LA

7. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by woppercatcher View Post
    If you're talking about the picture above most of the fish I was catching there were Spotted/Kentucky Bass and were around 14-15 inches. The lake is Lake Ouachita in central Arkansas. The sensitivity and contrast are correct. After the latest messed up update I had to completely switch my settings. I'm pretty much a set it and forget it type of guy and those settings work pretty much year round and in all depths. The only changes I will make is the down range setting depending on the depth.

Ok, Thanks! That puts it in perspective. I'll definately try this setting as a startingpoint.

It would be nice to have a bit more support from HB about what angle to use best for particular depth ranges. For me a sort of situation card with some standard situation and startingpoint settings would be usefull. I want to spend my precious time on the water for fishing and not fiddling too much with settings.

8. Member
    Boats don’t stay perfectly level, If the transducer shaft is level you will be close on the actual angle of the transducer , but even then 10 t0 30 degrees is not unusual and it can pitch and roll constantly so you will have to make adjustments and/or allowances for that. It won’t be perfect! JMO Bob
    Tell me where has a slow movin' once quick draw outlaw got to go