Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
  1. Member
    I am a jig junky and there is one combo that I don't care what you are throwing it in, weeds, rock, brush, beds, that gets bit no matter the water color. It is a Watermelon candy Hack attack with a sprayed grass dbomb.

2. Member
    This is my go to bait during any tournament.
    What no one seemed to mention is it may be one of the most relaxing ways to fish.
    Seems like the older I get I have seemed to slow down and limit my run and gun tossing spinnerbaits, crankbaits, etc.
    Drop the trolling motor and pick apart anything which may be productive.

Give me a 3/8 or 1/2oz pitching jig with a half green pumpkin and half black and blue skirt or my version of a California 420 skirt and I feel like I can catch fish anywhere.

4. Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by cubswin View Post
    Ever hear of Denny Bauer .
    Nope

My Favorite Ever.

https://www.basspro.com/shop/en/stri...29d9&gclsrc=ds

5. Member
    I would say that over the years a Jig has won more Elite series tournaments than any other lure, it's in the top 3 for sure.

6. Member
    https://andyscustombasslures.com/jigs/

Ct jig maker. Edwin Evers used his baits to win the Classic and an Elite tournament.

7. Member
    I have been a jig fisherman for most of my 60 years of bass fishing...but the last 6-7 years, I rarely tie one on. This Delta has little clear water, and have been using plastics like.beavers, creature baits, and certain worms. Been catching better on the plastics, both size and numbers.

Quote Originally Posted by bassfisher444 View Post
    I would say that over the years a Jig has won more Elite series tournaments than any other lure, it's in the top 3 for sure.
    I would agree. I would also say that a jig of some sort has won more tournaments at EVERY level than any other bait through the years. It’s just so versatile that there is never really a “bad” time to throw a jig. I have no doubt that I, personally have won more tournaments with a jig than any other bait and I’m pretty sure that most of the Big Bass checks that I’ve cashed have also been on caught on a jig.

My tournament partner is a known jig fisherman in our club. OK we both throw jigs. A lot. Funniest thing is watching guys cruise by the boat in the morning, looking to see what jig Jon has tied on. Thinking he has on some expensive jig with a custom trailer. He throws a WalMart $1.87 jig, with a craw fish trailer. 1/2 oz black and blue with a black and blue trailer probably 70% of the time. The rest of the time with a jig he'll go up to an ounce or down to 3/8. They don't care what I'm throwing. Half of them don't know my name, I'm just Jon's partner. Which is fine with me. I got lunker of the year a few years back. With a 1/2oz black and blue jig, with a chigger craw as a trailer. We have won more than 1 tournament with a jig.
    Ranger Z-20, Yamaha F225.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Perry View Post
    I think one of the things that is hard to some anglers about fishing a jig is tge fact that a lot of your bites you don't always get a thump or noticeable feel from the bite. It's hard to explain but I catch a good amount of fish on them just because it seemed "different".
    Yes sir! I will call those a pressure bite. This is why a great bottom contact rod is so important along with a consistant technique. I used to suck at jig fishing and now its 90 percent of what I throw all year. I have been through a gamut of jig manufactures. I have settled into Picasso tungsten heads. The little Spotty is a standout all year long. Dirty jigs fills in the holes when needed.
    2024 Phoenix 818, Mercury 175 (3B414035) Trick Steps, 3 Garmin 106 SV,s, LVS 34. BoatEFX dual bow mount. Ionic 12V 125AH, 2 12V 100 ah LiTime’s for the TM. Minn Kota 345 PCL charger,

11. Member
    [QUOTE=hot rod;12774793]
    Quote Originally Posted by Muleheaded View Post
    I think there are several ways to fish a jig that can be effective. Referring to my earlier post…my buddy is well know the way he “strokes” a jig. Could you explain the stroking technique, is it flipping the jig then hopping it.
    There is a guy in the club I was in that mastered stroking the jig. Its a lifting and reeling of the jig which is slower than swimming and different than hopping. Pretend you are lifting the jig to the height of the grass and then letting it fall towards the boat by slow reeling. Done properly its like reverse flipping towards the boat..

[QUOTE=hot rod;12774793]
    Quote Originally Posted by Muleheaded View Post
    I think there are several ways to fish a jig that can be effective. Referring to my earlier post…my buddy is well know the way he “strokes” a jig. Could you explain the stroking technique, is it flipping the jig then hopping it.
    Billy Schroeder is one of the pioneers of jig stroking and he (and his son) have won piles of $$ with this technique at Kentucky Lake and other TVA lakes. It is most often used when targeting schools of fish on ledges. It is nothing more than throwing a 1/2-1 ounce jig out to a school of ledge fish that have generally been positioned by current, let the jig fall ALL the way to the bottom and then reel in some slack and RIP the jig up off the bottom (think hook set rod motion) and then allow the jig to fall back to the bottom on a semi-tight line (tight enough to detect a strike). The VAST majority of the bites happen on the fall and it is a technique that can REALLY fire up a school of fish and make them VERY competitive.

13. Member
    Who did you learned to fish a jig from at Ozarks? Jigs are the best down there.

14. Member
    Stroking a jig is something to remember when fish aren't biting, it works well when they are suspending off bottom a bit compared to when they were on bottom and you were catching them.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123