Thread: Lake Wheeler

Lake Wheeler

I was thinking about hitting wheeler this week. I have never fished it before, was wondering if anyone had any tips, community spots or starting points that might want to share?

2. Member
    Can't help you but caution is called for with winter pool levels.

3. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by gehol View Post
    Can't help you but caution is called for with winter pool levels.
    Thanks I figured it would be as low as they have Guntersville right now.

4. Member
    Wheeler is down approximately 5 feet. 556 to 551. A first-timer would be well advised to stay in the river channel between the buoys while on plane. If behind the buoys go slow and easy and a good GPS map like LAKEMASTER showing shaded water depths is a big help!

5. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by 5keepers2 View Post
    Wheeler is down approximately 5 feet. 556 to 551. A first-timer would be well advised to stay in the river channel between the buoys while on plane. If behind the buoys go slow and easy and a good GPS map like LAKEMASTER showing shaded water depths is a big help!
    Well with all that said and not knowing the lake at all , maybe I'll just stay on G-ville till water levels are better. I had just heard at the ramp that wheeler was really strong lately and worth making the trip.

6. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Crankin View Post
    Well with all that said and not knowing the lake at all , maybe I'll just stay on G-ville till water levels are better. I had just heard at the ramp that wheeler was really strong lately and worth making the trip.
    Don't be timid: There are 70 miles of the well-marked river channel that you can run. Much good fishing at/in or very near the river channel. I like the Winter fishing as there is less water for them to hide and the smallmouth often come out to play.