Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Water splashing on back deck

Just wanted some opinions. I have a 97 Notro 640 LX 90 HP Tracker Motor. Boat runs great but when I’m coming off pad water splashes upon the back carpet and sometimes fills the splash-well. Makes me nervous. Is this normal? Boat also has Jack plate could this we’ll be causing it and would motor height make a difference

Normal. There are a lot of boats out there that will do the same, including my Bass Cat. You can either come off pad at a slower rate or “goose” the throttle a little when the back end dips while coming off plane. You will do it instinctively after driving your boat for a while.
    Aaron Campbell
    Barling, AR
    2007 Bass Cat Sabre
    2011 Merc 175 Pro XS

3. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by adchunts View Post
    Normal. There are a lot of boats out there that will do the same, including my Bass Cat. You can either come off pad at a slower rate or “goose” the throttle a little when the back end dips while coming off plane. You will do it instinctively after driving your boat for a while.
    I’ve never had a boat do this. So your saying as your coming off pad and the rear starts to dip to goose it then?

According to a couple of your posts, I'm not sure if you know what the "pad" is.

5. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by wareagle24 View Post
    According to a couple of your posts, I'm not sure if you know what the "pad" is.
    It’s running on the flat section on the keel. I know what it is. What I’m saying is I’ve been in several other boats that don’t pull or lean and you didn’t have to trim them up

6. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by chrism0923 View Post
    It’s running on the flat section on the keel. I know what it is. What I’m saying is I’ve been in several other boats that don’t pull or lean and you didn’t have to trim them up
    You absolutely have to trim every boat equipped with an outboard for the hull and motor to perform properly and efficiently.

7. Member
    Keep practicing you'll get it figured out.

8. Member
    have poles or talons?
    2022 z519 cup 225 merc 4s ser # 3B210484. 2--hds12 live units. 2 poles, atlas plate, ghost, hamby's, active target, merc digital gauges
    2002 basscat pantera 3 (dad bought new) sold 8-2-22
    2000 stratos 20 ss (bought new) 200 hp Rude ficht great boat/motor sold 11-21
    pulled by a 2500HD Denali
    proud dad of an ARMY Captain
    MAGA
    ASE/GM Master tech before tools

9. Member
    Some boats are worse than others, but they can all be prevented by slowing down correctly.

10. Member
    Have to 'goose' my Ranger when coming off plane to prevent the back deck getting soaked.

I’ve never had a boat do this. So your saying as your coming off pad and the rear starts to dip to goose it then?
    Yes, pretty standard with a lot of boats. Nbd

12. Member
    Envision goosing the throttle for a second to push the boat away from the backwash just as the backwash gets to the transom.

13. Member
    I have to feather my throttle if I'm stopping quickly, or the back deck takes a wave over the ass end. If I slow down slowly, then it usually doesn't happen...
    1994 Ranger 492VS
    2004 Optimax 225 - 0T920364
    6" Hydro Dynamics Manual Jack Plate
    24p Fury 4
    24v 47" Lowrance Ghost / Lowrance HDS

14. Member
    I’ve never had a boat do this. So you’re saying as you’re coming off pad and the rear starts to dip to goose it then?
    When u hear goose it, it doesn’t necessarily mean to hammer the throttle if that’s what ur taking from this advice. To put it in an easier way to understand it, all u need to do is just stay on the throttle a little to stay ahead of the wave until the rear of ur boat starts to lift. After you’ve done this for a while it will just become second nature. Hope this helps a little.

15. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by AndrewM-Fishing View Post
    You absolutely have to trim every boat equipped with an outboard for the hull and motor to perform properly and efficiently.
    Again I get that and agree I’m stating I’ve never been in a boat that pulled leaned to one side of it wasn’t trimmed up and have 4 boat and been in several others

16. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by adchunts View Post
    This 100%, once you learn how to keep it from doing that it's not a big deal.

My last boy was a Stratos 285 and if I wasn’t careful the water would come all the way over the back deck to the cockpit. I didn’t always tell the co angler and got a few wet a time or two lol. But when slowing down just watch behind you and goose it when the wake gets close. Eventually you’ll just know when you have to give it.

Again I get that and agree I’m stating I’ve never been in a boat that pulled leaned to one side of it wasn’t trimmed up and have 4 boat and been in several others
    It's a small light boat. The 90 hp engine has torque that is trying twist the boat on throttle up. If it bothers you that much just turn the wheel on throttle up or get hydraulic steering. I had a 23 pitch stiletto on mine and my 640 would run 50 mph with no jackplate.
    2008 Ranger 178VX
    150 Yamaha V-max

GO Fins!!!

19. #FRB
    Some hulls won't take water over the back deck no matter how hard you try while others are notorious for it. My buddy had an old Stratos and he would soak the whole back deck just for the sake of doing it (mainly being a shit if he had a co-angler). Just make sure the bilge pump is in good working order and don't worry about it if water floods the back end every now and then but try your best to outrun the wave chasing you and sit her down dry. As mentioned, either cut throttle slow or goose right before the wave comes knocking. I still shut mine down slow and I haven't had a boat that would easily take water over the back in 10 years. Just an old habit that I decided to keep even though I technically don't have to do that now.
    2023 Xpress H18 with 115 SHO and Powertech NRS4 21p
    8" Bob's Action Jack
    Garmin Echomap 12, 10, 9, and LVS34 networked with Netgear Switch
    Ultrex
    Trick Steps and Ramp N Clamp
    Pulled by a 2016 single cab HEMI Ram

Treat others like you want to be treated when on the water EVEN WHEN IN A TOURNAMENT! No fish is worth having a confrontation because you cut someone off or came in on top of someone.

My Sabre FTD used to flood the back deck if I just let her sit down coming off plane. Initially, as the boat sits down coming off plane the stern will be almost at water level with the bow riding high. At the point, where you feel the boat begin to be pushed forward by the backwash you just have to slightly bump the throttle forward enough to level out the boat and “outrun” the water behind you. Hard to explain, easy to show someone how.
    After you get a feel for when to bump the throttle you never even have to look back.
    Another solution is to go all lithium batteries. I was able to cut battery weight by about 100 lbs. when I switched to lithium batteries. Now, I really have to come off plane hard to get any backwash over the stern.
    BassCat Sabre FTD
    Mercury 150 Optimax
    "It's just fishing"

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast