Power head gasket leak

2012 200 proxs
    200 hrs
    vin 1B862935
    I need some advice. I removed my lower cowl to oil cylinders for winter storage. Noticed water staining coming from the power head gasket. I did wipe the area clean before I took the pic. Also looks like some of the gasket is possibly missing. Is it possible for water to leak here . Any help would be great. Thanks
    Attached Images Attached Images

2. Member
    Time to pull powerhead and replace that gasket
    Ron Fears
    Stroker/300XS
    1E003823

3. Member
    Yes it will leak water there
    Ron Fears
    Stroker/300XS
    1E003823

4. Member
    Really need to replace adaptor plate and power head gasket so to speak. While apart need to inspect crank seal
    Ron Fears
    Stroker/300XS
    1E003823

5. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Hold on a minute... there's a ridge there where the gasket is, and even condensation there will cause staining.

Also looks like you MIGHT have water coming off of the 1/8" plug above the gasket. It could be loose, or water could be coming from above it somewhere.

Best thing to do is to OBSERVE the engine while it's running at idle... if you see even a drop form THEN proceed as if that gasket is leaking.

I've seen hundreds of engines with staining that did NOT LEAK (either from previous gasket leak, a leak at another point, or been used in brackish water and corrosion is setting in). Check twice, fix once.

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

6. Member
    Ok I will do that. Lower unit is off the boat so may be a while before I can start it. To look for leaks. I did just put a wrench on the 16mm nuts and they do seem loose. Don’t know if I should re torque all the bolts before starting or not. Also if it is leaking hoping I can leave everything hooked up to the powerhead. Cables wires and all. And just lift it up high enough to swap the gasket Thanks again for the help

7. Member
    Might be that plug, maybe
    Ron Fears
    Stroker/300XS
    1E003823

8. Member
    look around flush hose also , that late model pxs should have HP base gasket not seen one of those leak yet
    .................................................. ...the scariest thing in life is the unknown ...................................

9. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    If you choose to re-tighten nuts, you MUST use a torque adapter, a torque wrench, at the correct torque on each nut (some are different), in the correct order. DON'T attempt unless you're going to follow it to the letter.

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

^^^^^^^^
    Need to do some math when using adaptor and understand how angles and extensions will affect the setting on a torque wrench
    Thank You Leon Pugh

A torque adapter at 90 degrees to the torque wrench does not require any calculations.
    2006 Triton TR-21 XD, Mercury 225 Pro XS, S/N 1B287870

Quote Originally Posted by Bob G. View Post
    A torque adapter at 90 degrees to the torque wrench does not require any calculations.
    No but anything else does
    Thank You Leon Pugh

13. Member
    Thanks for all the help. I just ordered a 5/8 torque adapter. And now have an account with European marine to order parts. I think I will just change the gasket this winter instead of messing with it in the spring. Would rather be fishing. Looking at the motor again looks like the oil pump is leaking also. And I think I have a bent prop shaft. Also probably should change out the steel reeds for fiber. And have the injectors cleaned.

14. Member
    should have carbon fiber reeds in it , you can raise power head to change gaskets , some hoses trim wires and dont forget shift link
    .................................................. ...the scariest thing in life is the unknown ...................................