Shimano bearings

How long do bearings usually last in reel? I have some bantam MGL’s that I clean regularly. I thoroughly clean the bearings in a ultrasonic machine and lube when clean. They just seem to need it pretty regularly. The reel gets gritty sounding when reeling and the spool bearing doesn’t spin freely. That is until I fully clean them again. I keep my reels maintained and clean. Just wondering if should replace them.

2. Member
    Depends on initial quality of the bearings in the reel. Measure the bearings and go on Boca Bearings and get a set of hybrids. In my experience grinding on retrieve is wear on the pinion and main gears. You might be able to get new gears on Shimano.com. I've gotten parts there for some pretty old reels so parts for those reels should be readily available. If you go by the adage that you get what you pay for the bearings with the MGLs are pretty cheap. About 7 bucks on the Shimano site. So the are not great bearings to begin with. By comparison, one hybr

3. Member
    By comparison one hybrid bearing from Boca is between 15 and 20 bucks depending on the bearing. Be aware if you want to replace the inside spool bearing on most Shimano reels you will need a spool pin removal tool. You can get them on eBay for cheap. If your not careful removing the pin you could bend a spool shaft and then you are in for $60 for a new spool.

4. Member
    I have a hedgehog studio pin remover. When I clean all the bearings and re oil them evething works great for awhile. Some have said no need for new improved bearings. Just keep the stock ones clean and lubed. Just wondering if the box’s bearing would last longer.

Depending on the reel brand the stock bearings are always just adequate. When you start getting into ABEC 7 ceramic then you will see a great improvment on casting and smoothness.

Most people don't let their bearing dry out or blow them off with air pressure after cleaning them.. Make sure the bearings are dry and only use the smallest drop of oil on the bearings.

I have had great luck with Yellow Rocket Fuel but I also like the Red stuff from Quantum.

6. Member
    I soak all the bearings in cleaner while using the ultrasound and then spin them while blowing them out. I only use a small amount of oil.

7. Member
    The Shimano ARB bearings are the best and I’ve tried them all. Pull shields off. Deep clean in lighter fluid then dry while spinning and I add slick 50 spray lube. Usually lasts about 6 months of hard fishing then I repeat. I really can’t say I ever had a problem doing that. Don’t forget to clean and or polish where the weights rub then add a drop on that as well.
    Respectfully,
    Captain Rab
    V1CO 1:27 But God has chosen the foolish things of the
    world to put to shame the wise; and God has
    chosen the weak things of the world to put to
    shame the things which are mighty

8. Member
    Put the cleaned bearing on a sharpened pencil or a chinese food chopstick. Give it a spin. You will be able to tell if the bearing is good. It will spin quietly and for some time.