106SV Interference

Just installed a new 106 sv on bow.Mounted transducer on Minn Kota Fortrex.I installed the magnets on the all cables to control unit.I get interference everytime i press the on switch for trolling motor.I get black shades half way up the screen as long as the motor is running.What do I need to do?Thanks

2. Member
    2014 Ranger Z520C, Yamaha 250 SHO

Power hooked to cranking battery or trolling motor batteries?
    2009 Nitro z-7
    2008 EFI 150

4. Member

5. Member
    Check the fuse under the head of the Fortrex to make sure it hasn't blown or corroded. Try to make sure the transducer cable is as isolated as possible from the trolling motor power. I put a wire on the skeg of my trolling motor after scraping the paint to make a good connection and ran the wire up the steering cable to the negative terminal on the trolling motor plug receptacle. Sometimes, the troller needs to be as isolated as possible. I have heard the cranking battery needs to be isolated from the charger by using a plug to disconnect it. You need to try different variations to find the right solution for your boat. All boats/trolling motors have different characteristics on interference problems; it is hard to say 'this solution' will fix your boat. You need to try different ways to find what fixes it for you.

6. Member
    Seperate battery for electronics and wiring run from battery to electronics only.Thanks

7. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by basshound250 View Post
    Seperate battery for electronics and wiring run from battery to electronics only.Thanks
    Sometimes it is possible to get interference from the battery charger providing a path from the trolling motor batteries to the cranking battery.

8. Lowrance/Garmin/GPS Moderator fishin couillon's Avatar
    This interference is crazy stuff....i've had my fair share of it.....what's crazy, is that i can go to my local river and get interference as mentioned above but then go to a local lake and have none at all......just recently had a GT54 and had a little interference, put on a GT56 and NOTHING has showed up.....go figure.....
    YOU are not entitled to what I have earned!!!!!

2014 Phoenix 619 Pro / 2014 Mercury 200 Pro XS

Did you notice any UFO's flying over at the time?
    "heard it in a love song.........can't be wrong"

10. Member
    I’m new to Garmin so I’m trying to learn also.
    Do the Garmin units have a noise filter settings like the birds do ?
    2021 rt188p , Mercury 115 Pro XS CT , Croxton Razor 4XLR 22 , Z lock 4” jack plate , 8’ power pole blades

11. Member
    I got a bird and a garmin up front had same problem humminbird said most interference is aground problem ran a wire from neg. on start battery to neg. on troll battery this solved mine hope it helps u

12. Member
    Thanks,I'll try it.

13. Member
    Fixed mine by junking my old Terrova, I tried every fix mentioned here and everywhere else.. Finally bought a Force and no more interference.

Quote Originally Posted by basshound250 View Post
    Just installed a new 106 sv on bow.Mounted transducer on Minn Kota Fortrex.I installed the magnets on the all cables to control unit.I get interference everytime i press the on switch for trolling motor.I get black shades half way up the screen as long as the motor is running.What do I need to do?Thanks
    Attached is a PDF tip sheet that I made up for a friend back during COVID shutdown, hope it is helpful.

In addition, Hummingbird makes an inline choke that mounts close to the TM pedal that is helpful. I believe the part number is TM-1, if you can’t find one let me know, I have one that I no longer use.

The PDF refers to Lowrance HDS, but I now have a Garmin 106 Ultra on the bow and I find it to be even more susceptible to interference than the Lowrance. My 106 is on a dedicated lithium battery and I still get some interference in 2D sonar.
    Attached Files Attached Files

I try to drive as if my 16 year old Grandson is following me
    Speak as if he is listening and act as if he is watching