Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

My Yak is getting Heavier each year!

It can't be that I am getting older, but it is getting to be a real PITA to load the yak after a day of fishing. I either had to load it into the bed of my F250 Super Duty or lift it up on the 4x4 beams that sit on top of my utility trailer.
    Found this 10' Load Rite Trailer that fits perfectly. Got a SWEET deal on the trailer.

IMG_2105.jpgIMG_2106.jpg
    2019 RT 198P
    2018 Mercury Pro XS 150 HP 4 Stroke #2B610068
    Twin 12' BT Talons
    4" Atlas Jack Plate
    Riptide Instinct Quest

I’m still lifting mine on top of the roof of the car. It’s a pain.

3. Member
    I saw a guy at a ramp a couple weeks ago fighting to get his kayak on the roof rack of his SUV. I offered my assistance, and He thanked me but said no, he replied: the day I can't get this sumbitch loaded is the day I leave it.

And judging from his difficulty, it might be at the ramp now!

4. Member
    Nice trailer! I load mine into the back of my truck. It's kind of a pain since it is pretty heavy, but I actually enjoy not having to tow around a trailer. Give me another 5-10 years and I might change my tune though.

I’ve had several trailers over the years but my favorite is the custom On The Water Innovations trailer that I have now! I had it set up with a couple of Fulton winches up front that I hook to the bow of my Hobie Pro Anglers and just crank them up onto the trailer. Launching is as easy as unhooking and pushing them off the bunks with a bow rope attached and guiding them to the bank or dock! Definitely takes the strain off my back!

The Slayer is a heavy Yak. No issues currently loading the 135 Rides, but the Slayer is a different beast. So for $600, I'll take the easy road.
    2019 RT 198P
    Twin 12' BT Talons
    4" Atlas Jack Plate
    Riptide Instinct Quest

I’ve been looking for a trailer for a few months now, too. Your guy didn’t happen to have another one with that one did he lol?
    He/him
    Kayak fishing in a Native Slayer Max 12.5
    Lowrance Elite 9 ti2

8. Official BBC Highjacker bassboogieman's Avatar
    Yak getting heavier? YES! That's the reason I downsized this year from a Hobie PA-14 to a PA-12. The 12 is easier to load and really not a huge change. It is keeping me in the game.
    Last edited by bassboogieman; 12-07-2022 at 07:44 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by rds_nc View Post
    I’ve been looking for a trailer for a few months now, too. Your guy didn’t happen to have another one with that one did he lol?
    He had it listed for almost a month!
    I had to replace the Right Turn Light assembly at a cost of a whopping $3.09. It has Bearing Buddies already installed and a spare tire.
    I used it for the first time today and it worked like a charm. I did not even have to install the wheels on my Boone Dox Landing Gear.
    Backing up a short trailer like that with a F250 is fun, to say the least!
    2019 RT 198P
    Twin 12' BT Talons
    4" Atlas Jack Plate
    Riptide Instinct Quest

10. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Crappie Bob View Post
    I saw a guy at a ramp a couple weeks ago fighting to get his kayak on the roof rack of his SUV. I offered my assistance, and He thanked me but said no, he replied: the day I can't get this sumbitch loaded is the day I leave it.

And judging from his difficulty, it might be at the ramp now!
    We have a 70+ year old guy in one of my clubs that loads his Hobie in the back of his pick-up. He may weigh 120-130 pounds, but says when he can't load it himself, he's going to quit. I'm a lot younger and stronger and still use a trailer-mainly because I don't own a pick-up!

I’m not criticizing and I’m probably missing the point but I thought one of the reasons of getting into a kayak was because it was an easy lightweight stable way for a solo angler to get onto the water without the need for a truck… It seems the trend is gravitating towards heavier and heavier units with increasingly more sophisticated propulsion systems. So when does it stop being a kayak and becomes a small boat ?
    Ranting incoherently

12. Member
    Kayak anglers hear this a lot. This video gives some of the perspective and rationale:

Mind you I still own two Perception SOT yaks I fished out of before transitioning into a canoe some years back. I have absolutely nothing against the yaks at all, I just find the canoe easier to fish from.

Serious question - would I be allowed to fish a tourney with you guys ?
    Last edited by bilgerat; 12-16-2022 at 08:22 AM.
    Ranting incoherently

14. Member
    I used to fish out of my canoe, which sits inn the woods here. I finally got to the point I couldn't react quickly enough to keep from foul hooking bass and control the canoe at the same time. That, and it's getting too heavy to lift at my age.

15. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by bilgerat View Post
    Mind you I still own two Perception SOT yaks I fished out of before transitioning into a canoe some years back. I have absolutely nothing against the yaks at all, I just find the canoe easier to fish from.

Serious question - would I be allowed to fish a tourney with you guys ?
    I think canoes are allowed in most kayak tournaments.

Quote Originally Posted by bilgerat View Post
    I’m not criticizing and I’m probably missing the point but I thought one of the reasons of getting into a kayak was because it was an easy lightweight stable way for a solo angler to get onto the water without the need for a truck… It seems the trend is gravitating towards heavier and heavier units with increasingly more sophisticated propulsion systems. So when does it stop being a kayak and becomes a small boat ?
    You are absolutely right!
    With the offers of Fully rigged trolling motor (Spot Lock), full Monty Fish Finders, ... NO DIFFERENT from a "BOAT"
    I am going to sell my two (2) Wilderness Rides 135 in the spring and replace them with a 10' Pond Boat, such as a Bass Hunter. Mostly so I can stand up once in a while. (I can't do so much in my yaks as I have NO Balance any more!)
    2019 RT 198P
    Twin 12' BT Talons
    4" Atlas Jack Plate
    Riptide Instinct Quest

17. Member
    I'm an odd duck to say the least. My wife wanted she, I and our two kids to kayak for years. I was hesitant because I didn't think it was safe. In 2019 she booked us a rental 2 hr drive away and it was Labor Day weekend. I was terrified and just knew with the boat traffic we'd sink. We didn't sink and I fell in love with it. That week I had a fishing kayak and the wife and two kids had their own pleasure kayak.

I had a 20' bass boat in the garage and as much as I LOVE fishing it wasn't getting used. I was taking the kayak out 2-3 times a week.

For me it's weird - for one I've been stranded twice in a bass boat, not some old beater but a fairly new and maintained boat that it just happened. My personality and methods are strongly influenced by things in the past that adversely affect me so I would rarely go out very far in my brand new boat in fear of breaking down. Secondly speed on the water TERRIFIES me. Did one co-angler thing back in mid to late 90s and dude never went below the speed of sound all day. Hit something and almost killed us. So I had a 250 on the back of my boat and wouldn't go over 37 mph.

I actually go out farther in my Hobie PA than I ever did with my boat. Unless my legs get paralyzed, they got me out there and get me back. One caveat is I've been a cyclist all my life, I just turned 51 in Nov and still do 130-150 miles per week on a bike and do two centuries a year. I can hold my top speed in a kayak all day if I need to, obviously I don't need to because a bulk of the time is fishing. I have no motors or anything on mine and getting away from boat registration was a goal.

Some of this may not make sense to some but in my head it all comforts me. I am 100% the opposite of claustrophobic I could live in a cocoon. I like sitting in my little pod and everything at hands reach.

My boat sat in my garage and never got wet for almost 2 years and I moved it to my office where I also have a garage. A guy who also rents space in my office complex asked what I was gonna do with it and he bought it this past Sept. I kept it maintained for those three years but never got it wet.

Like I mentioned before, I have nothing against kayaks except for the comfort factor … I’m not overweight, don’t smoke etc and am in good health so the paddling part was never an issue for me. What was annoying was not being able to easily stretch out/stand at will, take a wizz, access to tackle and other rods etc. The Sportspal canoe gave me all of that without a weight penalty. I can fit in the same skinny water I did with my yaks so I’m not missing out on anything. The Sportspal was specifically designed as a hunting/fishing platform which means it absolutely sucks as a paddling/touring canoe due to it’s wide beam but allows me to stand and go through the motions of fishing, even while underway if I want. Having all of my gear within reach plus room under the benches for storing extra clothes, breakdown kit etc makes for a more comfortable day on the water. In the end, whatever gets you on the water and back at the end of the day safely is a good thing regardless of what it is. Tight lines
    Ranting incoherently

19. Member
    I've got 2 lifetime kayaks and in the process of building out one of the 4x8 harbor freight trailers for them now. They aren't to heavy to lift but I have to stack them in the bed of my truck and not crazy about that. They will be side by side on trailer. Plan on using a piece of unistrut at front and back to mount PVC the full length of trailer for them to sit on.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast